Author Topic: big bait vs small bait  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
big bait vs small bait
« on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Anyone have a preference for bass?  I've gone bass fishing in baxter or the bellamy with fat suckers and got no bites.  Then ive caught some nice ones on medium to large shiners.  Idk, maybe if you have a ton of patience and don't mind the chance of getting skunked big bait is the way to go.  It's hard to say.  Never hurts to vary your bait size among your traps either.  Summer/fall I always do well just floating large baitfish off a weighted bobber.  Wish we could double hook them here in NH though.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: big bait vs small bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:10 AM »
Fish eat less in the winter..a big meal lasts longer... bigger baits weed out the runts (most of the time,not always )so you get less action.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Big Bait for Big Bass, the bigger the better.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Fish eat less in the winter..a big meal lasts longer... bigger baits weed out the runts (most of the time,not always )so you get less action.

What Joe said....  However,  I have caught 5, 6 and 7 lbers on small/medium shiners. Maybe they were just hungry enough. Also remember, the amount of large bass, say 5lbs, in a pond is far less then say 2lbers which is also why the bite is lesser.
Just add water.

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2019, 01:08 PM »
I generally stick to medium I have caught everything from 4kb bass to a 7” yellow perch lol all depends on if they are Hungary
Wait there's ice????

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Depends on my mood. On a blistering cold day where I dont want to be getting cold chasing flags I'll put on the big 10in goldens

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2019, 02:08 PM »
BIG or BIGGER!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2019, 02:30 PM »
I always set up a couple traps with big baits for bass but only because the pond I live on always puts some big shiners in my traps... If I were buying bait, I'd just use mediums all the time. It seems somehow the 5" and 6" pond shiners always get eaten by 2 pounders and the big girls come on any size. But I find this to be more of a winter thing, in the summer... Bigger is always better for chasing big girls...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Skip the suckers..pickeral love them but big bait will do it but so will a small shiner...trust me no one has big bait anymore..Merrimack bait and tackle has them but I’m can’t pay 2 bucks per bait...I know Donnie needs that money to make it work so I’m fine with it...trust me the bigger the better..lol..I know what everyone is thinking ..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Skip the suckers..pickeral love them but big bait will do it but so will a small shiner...trust me no one has big bait anymore..Merrimack bait and tackle has them but I’m can’t pay 2 bucks per bait...I know Donnie needs that money to make it work so I’m fine with it...trust me the bigger the better..lol..I know what everyone is thinking ..

Was waiting to hear from the authority on this. I only open water fish for bass, so this is interesting. Dover Marine frequently has pretty big ‘XL’ shiners available. AJ’s In Meredith will have the huge Golden’s, but again, price...
I’m happy to pay it for certain things like Cusk. But this is a bass/green fish question.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:23 PM »
I’m inclined to think, with bass, under the ice, it’s more about putting a bait, any bait, right in front of their faces, if your good enough to know where that place is. They’re warm water fish. They slow down. I would think? When I catch a smallie on a smelt, working a rocky point drop-off for lakers, they don’t seem to have turned their nose up at a small bait. They also seem half-asleep. In open water, at same placement, they might get wildly aggressive after a GIANT crawdad. I enjoy live lining a huge crawfish like that, and then feeling ‘the battle’ transpire though a taught line as they get after it. Multiple mouthings and spittings. Claws being ripped off, bait fighting back. That’s a thrill. I don’t think that happens so much under the ice. They want a quick easy meal. And size matters not. But I could be wrong and correct me if so.

Offline Bignass56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:44 PM »

This is a video i took using my water wolf camera last year thats was a 5" shiner and that bass was at least a 5lber maybe  bigger and ill never know because he did this for 20 minutes and never tripped the flag kept spitting it out. I kept asking myself what if that was a small med shiner? I still stick with the biggest bait i can find

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Great vid, thanks for sharing! Makes you wonder how often that happens without knowing? I’ve had days for sure Brown fishing with baits having bite marks all through them and yet no other sign.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Bignass56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Great vid, thanks for sharing! Makes you wonder how often that happens without knowing? I’ve had days for sure Brown fishing with baits having bite marks all through them and yet no other sign.

Exactly.. or those darn "wind flags" makes you wonder

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:02 PM »
Absolutely, great post!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Great vid. With That much movement with that shiner and line, I can't believe that flag didn't go off.
Also Makes you wonder, why he didn't commit. That's alot of attempts to swallow that thing. That bass looked plenty big enough to take that large shiner.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Bignass56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:06 PM »
Great vid. With That much movement with that shiner and line, I can't believe that flag didn't go off.
Also Makes you wonder, why he didn't commit. That's alot of attempts to swallow that thing. That bass looked plenty big enough to take that large shiner.

Yeah i wondered also. Before this video iv often come across a shiner thats missing all its scales and almost dead. I think its safe to say this is probably whats happening. So after seeing this i started going crazy thinking my setup was the problem and started changing everything then second guessing everything. Fluoro, mono, braid, hook sizes   ext ::)

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2019, 10:33 PM »

Great video for sure, super informative. Your set-up got them biting - so I am not sure anything you change would work better. Did appear the bass was trying to turn the shiner and would spit it out to line it up, but even when it did have it head first it still spit it. Maybe hook placement in the shiner?

I was jigging in my portable once in clear water where I could easily see down 15 - 20 feet... and watched a bass come in an MISS a slow moving jig-head/grub combination about 3 times before it finally connected. Makes me wonder how many times that happens while we are out fishing, or how they actually can catch (or how often they miss) fast moving prey.

Thanks for the post

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2019, 05:28 AM »
Jaw Jacker!

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:20 PM »

This is a video i took using my water wolf camera last year thats was a 5" shiner and that bass was at least a 5lber maybe  bigger and ill never know because he did this for 20 minutes and never tripped the flag kept spitting it out. I kept asking myself what if that was a small med shiner? I still stick with the biggest bait i can find

That video is fascinating and makes me really take a lot of things into consideration. Thanks for sharing it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.