Author Topic: Brand new 5x10 hardside  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
Brand new 5x10 hardside
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:16 AM »
I'm building a new 5x10 shack, the only thing I have finalized is the size so it will fit nicely in my trailer. Other than that I'm still thinking of ideas. If you guys were building a brand new shack what are somethings you would almost certainly put in there or build in. Some things I've considered:

1. Adding a protrusion to put a wood stove in
2. Adding a long rectangular window
3. Plastic under the skiis to reduce friction/wear on the skiis
4. Clear plastic roofing material to let the light in

What are some other things I should be considering?

Troutsniffer

Offline Flagrunner85

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brand new 5x10 hardside
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Just something basic here but I would use screws in place of nails for fastening studs and sheathing together. Much better grabbing power and hold up much better to moving the shanty. Nails will eventually work themselves loose. My .02

Good luck and have fun.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:55 AM »
to piggy back the screw comment seeing you will be moving it around liquid nails between the joints before you screw will help it last a long time also work in some D loops on the outside to help tie down on trailer and ice.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:57 AM »
360 degree windowing from a seated position.  (or as close as you can come) :tipup:

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Bump out for cook stove
Life is good!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:42 AM »
to piggy back the screw comment seeing you will be moving it around liquid nails between the joints before you screw will help it last a long time also work in some D loops on the outside to help tie down on trailer and ice.
I second the liquid nails.. once set, the screws winter even matter,  a mule won't be able to kick it apart.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Keep in mind that If your planning on lights and or electronics, how would you power it up ?  Solar- generator- battery box etc..
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Reflectors or reflective tape all for sides...!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Look through the threads dedicated to shack builds, there are some great idea out there.

Heck, even watch Jiggin's latest Tippen video on the Circus thread - you'll see things like rod holders, slide out shelving, paper towel holdsers, lighting, CO detector (good idea), etc...

Good luck -

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:07 PM »
I have never used a woodstove, seems like a lot of work to me.
Propane is super convenient, but has some limitations. CO is a factor, but not really unless you overnight in it. Burning propane produces water vapor. It fogs your windows and gives an overall humid environment.
I had a very poor experience with plastic roofing. Water condenses on it and it rains indoors. This was occurring before I even used/heated it. So propane water vapor was not the cause.
"The Lodge" in Meredith has green plastic roof and it's working for them. They heat that real warm with a woodstove so maybe it helps. I'll never try it again.
A 5x10 is a good size house. DO NOT skimp on the skis! You will hate that thing stuck in the snow! Check out the ice shack tips section, for sure. You'll get a lot of ideas there.

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:39 AM »
these are all good suggestions, and that's good to know about the plastic roofing. Another thought I've had after hearing about condensation issues is using metal roofing and insulating the roof. Just not sure how I would attach it to the roof or if I should go right up against the metal or leave a small gap.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:05 AM »
A shelf on the outside of the shanty to cut bait so you don't have to do it inside.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:35 AM »
A shelf on the outside of the shanty to cut bait so you don't have to do it inside.

Yes! Very handy! Just built my shelf/table a couple weeks ago!

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:45 AM »
These are awesome ideas, anyone have a preference between bench seating and rolling chairs. starting to think about the seating situation

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:52 AM »
These are awesome ideas, anyone have a preference between bench seating and rolling chairs. starting to think about the seating situation

We don’t “overnight” in our aluminum house (so far) so we opted for some lightweight, aluminum benches (actually made for standing on to work on stuff higher than you can reach) they are comfy with a hunting “hot seat” or foam pad and very movable for customizing your fishing options.
These are available at the big box home stores for short money. We also use one for an outdoor table for our table top propane grill.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:32 AM »
If you opt for bench seating you can hinge the top and have under seat storage.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:23 AM »
Might’ve missed it in the thread but what are you planning to frame it with? Just curious! Can’t wait to see the finished product!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:57 AM »
2x4's for the floor and 2x2's for the studs is what I had in mind, I'll toss up a couple photos when I get started

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:15 PM »
these are all good suggestions, and that's good to know about the plastic roofing. Another thought I've had after hearing about condensation issues is using metal roofing and insulating the roof. Just not sure how I would attach it to the roof or if I should go right up against the metal or leave a small gap.
I actually used metal in my current house. Because of my plastic experience I was a bit worried but in this build I spray foamed the whole interior. So the metal is completely isolated from the interior, and I haven't found any issues. 4th year on it.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:39 PM »
I'd add lighting.  A 12 volt system is easy to add and you can have LED lights, a 12v port to charge phones or run cameras down the road.  For heat, I heated with wood and the warm dry heat was nice but not easy.  I spent more time than I wanted tending to the wood stove.  I also hated leaving for the day with the stove still hot.  Now I run a vented Nu-Way propane stove.  It has a fresh air intake so the combustion air comes from outside.  It also has a direct vent so the emissions get vented outside.  Good luck with the build.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:21 PM »
Spend the time to wire it ahead of time.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:55 PM »
I've got a solar plug on my camper that works great if I'm doing off the grid camping keeps my battery charged up might want to look into that too won't have to worry about bringing the battery home to charge all the time.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:48 AM »

Here are some progress pics

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Not pictured is a floor framed out of 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. Attaching floor to walls, adding roof, windows, door, wiring, and possibly one of those propane wall heaters I see in so many of your shacks. Thinking about the floor, should I leave it as wood with some kind of water repelling paint? I briefly considered rug but figured that would hold too much moisture, what are you guys using for flooring? Also- Hole covers- Im thinking of those catch cover square hole covers they have at Cabela's, anyone have those and wish they did something different or are those the way to go?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:13 PM »
Not pictured is a floor framed out of 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. Attaching floor to walls, adding roof, windows, door, wiring, and possibly one of those propane wall heaters I see in so many of your shacks. Thinking about the floor, should I leave it as wood with some kind of water repelling paint? I briefly considered rug but figured that would hold too much moisture, what are you guys using for flooring? Also- Hole covers- Im thinking of those catch cover square hole covers they have at Cabela's, anyone have those and wish they did something different or are those the way to go?

We used an indoor outdoor carpet and see no moisture problems so far.
We also have the catch covers (2 came with the house) and I like them but many have a homemade solution that works for them.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:08 PM »
ive seen people use rubber mats for the floor or the click together foam pad it insulates and moisture doesn't bother it.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:01 PM »
I bought a 6X8 rug from Walmart for $20. They have various sizes. If we need to we’ll throw it away at the end of the season.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I used a "porch paint" on my floor and it is holding up well. At some point I plan to go to a foam gym tile floor as well. Seems like a good idea. Water resistant, repairable, and has insulating qualities as well.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:45 PM »
ive seen people use rubber mats for the floor or the click together foam pad it insulates and moisture doesn't bother it.

Insulates and no moisture waterproof also.  I have had mine for 4 seasons and still i perfect shape.  It doesn't like the Ice climbing type cleats punches slits in it all others are fine.

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:52 AM »
I used a "porch paint" on my floor and it is holding up well. At some point I plan to go to a foam gym tile floor as well. Seems like a good idea. Water resistant, repairable, and has insulating qualities as well.

I put a coat of porch paint over everything too, just not sure if I should leave it like that, insulate the floor or add some kind of flooring. decisions decisions

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.