Author Topic: Jaw Jacker Debate  (Read 4015 times)

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jaw Jacker Debate
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:33 AM »
So.. figured I'd throw this out there.. This past weekend, me and a buddy of mine go into the discussion of "do you set the hook when using a jacker or just rely on the hook-set from the device/action itself" ...  My initial thought was don't set it again as you can screw it up as the jacker does a good job (most of the time) in setting the hook. However, our debate expanded when we started talking about whether it depends on the the species targeted and depth fishing, size hook, braid vs not braid etc. His point was if you're fishing in 4 ft targeting bows for example, then certainly no need or shouldn't "set the hook" manually once popped. I totally agree with that. His other point was perhaps you do/should set the hook when fishing bottom (lakers, smallies, et al) in 40 FOW. Due to the stretch of the line and distance, it will set the hook initially, but no where near the same "force" or effectiveness if that hook is 40 ft away. After thinking of it.. I kinda agreed. Especially when I specifically didn't reset the hook and I lost 5 fish at the hole throughout the day when getting hit in 35 FT. So, was curious if those with experience what your success is and thoughts are on the subject. Thanks

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jaw Jacker Debate
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:56 AM »
I still set the hook again as well as I can on my Rainbows, can be tough if there going wild by the time you grab the rod, and each times different but when I get a shot to drive it home again I do. this would be the case even In a foot of water, those big jaws cN be tough to get really buttoned on but when you do it’s not going anywhere
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:34 AM »
If you are worried about losing the "force" on the hookset then get a stiffer rod. I have JJ rods specifically for bows and then other ones for lakers, due to the different depths I fish. Also mono is a huge no for me because of the stretch like you said. Cheap braid works way better. Also like Wayne said when fishing super shallow for rainbows JJ's actually don't seem to work super well because when the fish is going nuts in 2ft of water it doesn't take much time for them to fall off.

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Just by default I pick up the rod I put tension in the fish just Incase the hook hasn’t set well being it’s almost always in the corner of the mouth
Wait there's ice????

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:26 PM »
What I have found through trial. Use the right rod.  Set the hook on pick up.  No braid on the Jacker  I have tried mono, braid, Fluoro.  Mono with the Fluoro leader has been the best for me.  The Jackers clearly out fish tip ups after fishing with them for a lot of different species.  I haven't tried circle hooks yet, has anybody tried them with the jacker?  I have tried a bunch of stuff with them they are great.  My next quest is Jumbo shiners for bait on the Jacker, it should work, has anybody tried that as well?  I will be trying this Saturday for big bass and post results.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:46 PM »
I run medium and medium lights in 28” and 30” with 10 lb braid and 6 lb flouro. Even if I am in a foot of water like I mentioned earlier in this thread I’m still driving that thing home again first chance I get, can’t say I’ve ever had a issue with losing fish in shallow water with them that’s new to me. I’d actually go as far as to say Ive never had one shake off ever while running to it. I’ve had them pop and not connect or a break on a giant but even that’s rare and I’ve got them in under a foot of water. I guess I’d blame that happening to drags being to loose and not setting the hook hard enough or keeping enough tension

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:48 PM »
Jumbo bait does work but you need more tension on the release mechanism or they will pop it themselves

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:58 PM »
good points guys.. thanks. 3 of mine I lost snapped/cut the line so perhaps the hookset wasn't the problem. 4 and 6 lbs flr leader with 2 big salmon and a bow definitely was an issue. One of the others ran at the last minute to the right of the hole at a hard angle and snapped on side of the ice. It happens, I just don't lose fish often (not bragging) but I certainly lost more in one day this past weekend than I have cumulatively in the past 3 yrs, so figured I'd reassess what the heck I was doing. I also wasn't taking my time on a few, so that didn't help either. Always good to revisit technique and refine skills, so I'll see what happens this weekend. First thing / issue is to get the bites...so let's "hope" I have the same problem this week. lol

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Hammer down!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:12 PM »
What I have found through trial. Use the right rod.  Set the hook on pick up.  No braid on the Jacker  I have tried mono, braid, Fluoro.  Mono with the Fluoro leader has been the best for me.  The Jackers clearly out fish tip ups after fishing with them for a lot of different species.  I haven't tried circle hooks yet, has anybody tried them with the jacker?  I have tried a bunch of stuff with them they are great.  My next quest is Jumbo shiners for bait on the Jacker, it should work, has anybody tried that as well?  I will be trying this Saturday for big bass and post results.

Haven’t used circle hooks, but the Gamakatsu Octo’s work Pissah...I’ll also stiffen up the drag and have caught some nice bass.  I’m using Med wt ugly stick
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:19 PM »
I personally wouldn’t try circles, the jacker is setting the hook before the fish fully pulls that hook to the corner of the mouth I see a lot of missed fish that way in my imagination.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:33 PM »
AA thanks for the input.  I started with one JJ 2 seasons ago and now I have 6 JJ entering my third season.  I have tried a bunch of stuff so it is great to have someone give helpful feedback. I'll pass on Circles.  I'll What size braid?  I agree with braid for shallow water works fine.  It was getting kind of stiff and had slack when running deep 15 to 50 ft, I didn't like that.  I'm looking forward to Jumbo fishing with the Jacker.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:38 PM »
I use 10 lb braid. Always ran power pro ice it never got stiff or slackish, as I’ve had to respool I now run Daiwa Jbraid 8 strand and love it. Glad some of that helped I’ve been using them many years. I’d say one of the first to do it  in NH honestly, if you look back in my old posts it’s not backgrounds edited it’s my jackers, ( I call them Slammers ) picked it up from guys I saw in VT and NY. people still didn’t know about or use them. You had a rare few automatic fisherman guys in NH but that was about it. It’s not a new concept just new to the masses here. I make my own still and prefer them. Been running them since 2007 and haven’t used a trap since unless it’s 0 degrees. So 12 years of trial and error you learn a lot, most have only been using them a handful of years

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:06 PM »
sunline has a killer finesse braid that you can get in 10 and 20 lbs that has the diameter of 4lb flouro and is super nimble, that could be a great option. I use it drop shotting and have it on one of my other jiggin rods, but hadn't thought to use it on the JJ until now. It's not cheap, but one of the best I've used/found hands down. Good thing is since we're using ice reels, one spool can get you about 3 jiggin rod set ups so that helps justify the cost (some)

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:44 PM »
I use 10 lb braid. Always ran power pro ice it never got stiff or slackish, as I’ve had to respool I now run Daiwa Jbraid 8 strand and love it. Glad some of that helped I’ve been using them many years. I’d say one of the first to do it  in NH honestly, if you look back in my old posts it’s not backgrounds edited it’s my jackers, ( I call them Slammers ) picked it up from guys I saw in VT and NY. people still didn’t know about or use them. You had a rare few automatic fisherman guys in NH but that was about it. It’s not a new concept just new to the masses here. I make my own still and prefer them. Been running them since 2007 and haven’t used a trap since unless it’s 0 degrees. So 12 years of trial and error you learn a lot, most have only been using them a handful of years
Yeah,  I had seen many of your posts in the past years and watched some videos you did using your jackers and that is what got me interested to try it.  I'm in the category of using them for a couple of years and like you said lots of trial and error to get it down.  I will give the Diawa J a shot.  I'm with you on this,  I am not using traps, jmamos52 tried the Lakco puck in the hole Saturday to keep it open and he says it works well, kicks ass.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:52 PM »
The main thing about circle hooks is you don't set the hook, they are made for when fish swallow the bait the hook can still pull out and catch in the lip, so probably not good with a jawjacker.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Yeah,  I had seen many of your posts in the past years and watched some videos you did using your jackers and that is what got me interested to try it.  I'm in the category of using them for a couple of years and like you said lots of trial and error to get it down.  I will give the Diawa J a shot.  I'm with you on this,  I am not using traps, jmamos52 tried the Lakco puck in the hole Saturday to keep it open and he says it works well, kicks ass.

Nice! Good to know those work! I run black hole covers but some days it’s still not enough without cleaning the hole every 5 min

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:16 PM »
When they are hitting and spitting I'll free-spool them if the conditions will let me.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Nice! Good to know those work! I run black hole covers but some days it’s still not enough without cleaning the hole every 5 min

Have you tried yoga mats? I have not used them personally, but I’ve seen some videos of guys up in northern Canada, and they seem to work well for them.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I have not, just the darkest hole covers I can get, I’d be open to it if it’s a better option. I’ll do some research

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:01 PM »
I have used the mats for tip ups they work good.  I didn't try it with the jacker yet.  I'm glad to hear that works.  I never tried it because I was afraid it would be problem trying to get it out of the way with a fish on.  I'm definitely going to give that a shot.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:05 PM »
It definitely adds a element I just run up grab the cover on each side of the slit and pull apart and pull back and up then grab the rod it can be a pain but some days the hole cover being there gets you more hits it also can aid in helping buy you a extra few seconds to get there without the line rubbing on the bottom of the hole

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:06 PM »
So just make sure the opening is facing the slammer

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Also just a FYI why I don’t like weight for another reason if you are shallow and it goes off sometimes that weight can catch on the bottom of the hole on the release and not give the hook full drive power and cause a moment of slack for there getaway

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:37 PM »
I don't use a weight either for small bait.  I have a feeling the Jumbo Shiner will need something to keep it down.  I will definitely use your hole cover technique, I might have to open the slit on the mat to make it easier to pull apart like you said.  Great tips and techniques.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Here’s the video I mentioned for the hole covers:

Really simple, but if you watch their other videos they use them for the JJs outside, and the standard traps as well.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:08 PM »
So basically identical, however I do like that they made them to fit so the devices didn’t freeze into the ice. Good stuff thanks for the share

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Good video, I need to add the lip

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I just got a JJ from my brother for christmas, without knowing how to really use it, I tied a circle hook onto 8lb mono and added a chunk of sucker meat and a few split shots 8 inches up. 10 min later I had a very chubby looking 2.5 lb bow on the line. Haven't caught a thing on it since, I think it was dumb luck. Gonna try using eggs on it if I find myself over a nice shallow sandy area.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:00 AM »
X2 as greenshack said on the pucks.at first I thought it was gimmicky but I figured id give it a go. I teresting point i noticed, 1. 2 per hole would be ideal, and there is nothing in the way when u pull the fish uo with the rod vs having to deal with moving a hole cover..of which I use as well. 2. The slite vibration perhaps helps ur bait...keeps it moving etc. The hole with the puck the other day went off 5x more than any other we had out there...could be coincidence but i wilk make note of it again this week when I go out and report back.   Would make sense because how many times have we all gone around and just moved the line a bit to check traps and it gives the shine/smelt etc just that bit of kick that it needs and then shortly after the trap goes off...so, this tiny vibrstion might be doing the job of heling the bait...just a theory but ill see if it holds up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.