Author Topic: dang crappie!  (Read 5012 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
dang crappie!
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:33 AM »
last night i headed out to my local and not well known hot spot for crappies at night. done good there in years past, but for some reason the last 2 outings have yielded only 4 keepers out of 60+ fish caught. bigger marks appear and will follow the bait up 5 ft and sit there, eventually swimming away.. basically 11ft of water, weed edge, and it only gets about 12 feet deep here. tips? ive tried going bigger, smaller, jiggin spoons, you name it. i mainly use plastics and dont have any live bait at all. what are yalls thoughts?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: dang crappie!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I never go ice fishing without waxies. Even if I am fishing plastics, I have a dead stick rod within a couple of feet of my jigging hole, with a jig and some type of live bait. Also, Crappies will take minnows in the evening and at night.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Try dead sticking a small jig with live spikes or minnow in one hole and drill another hole to jig a spoon to attract them...good luck
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:39 PM »
hate live bait lol gonna try again tonight with some glow stuff. trying to decide if i move into weeds or stay on the edge....

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:44 PM »
 :) I hear ya with the live bait..lol i'm a plastic guy too, but somedays that's all they want...good luck
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:45 PM »
it sounds like you're attracting interest, but having a hard time making them commit. usually i'd add like, a single maggot to the hook along with the plastic, but if you insist on not using live bait, maybe try some scent goop? or maybe try a hare's ear or some kind of soft hackle fly.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Gonna try a single spike. See if that gets em

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2017, 08:12 PM »
If you're catching and keeping, this will eventually happen.  There are good year class for size and there are just not so good years. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2017, 01:49 PM »
k.do this.get some medium minnows.late winter crappie like minnows.my buddy figured this out last week.the rig is this.2lb test.put a barrel swivel on..make a leader with 1lb test about 14 inches long.put a small treble hook on.put a split shot on about 8-10 inches above the hook.put that minnow on.im a 100% plastic guy.ive been usuing minnows for 3 weeks now.watch how fast your luck changes for bigger crappie...also...if its clear water..try at night.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2017, 05:16 PM »
Try dead sticking a small jig with live spikes or minnow in one hole and drill another hole to jig a spoon to attract them...good luck

x2,when fishing alone, use the second rod to keep their attention. With one rod, you pull up your fish and the rest of them thing the shows over.  ;D The more the merrier when jigging for pan fish.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.