The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Drill Plate.  (Read 12721 times)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Drill Plate.
« Reply #90 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:36 AM »
I havent said anything bad about the clam plate. So im not sure where your getting this "hate" from. Maybe u should go back to your 15yr old daughter so she can explain to you the usage of the word.

Here are a couple of the perks i found not using the plate, and just using the drill with the side handle:
1 - Lighter
2 - More compact
3- Less expensive
4- Drill can be removed for normal use
5- Drill can be removed on the ice for drilling pop up anchors.
6- If the drill fails its easily removed for service/repair.

None of those are opinions, they are all facts. Use which ever method you want..
1- Lighter- Of course it's lighter it doesn't have a plate
2- More compact- Of course it doesn't have a plate (doesn't mean the clam plates aren't compact)
3- less expensive- especially for you... You never owned one!!!
4- Drill can be removed for normal use- I helped build a deck with mine this summer (that's a TRUE FACT)
5- ...Removed for drilling pop up anchors- Fact!!! And if your bungee cord rig fails you can lose the auger also.
6- ...Remove for service/repair- That's laughable... Really weak attempt at a valid points. I can see when I had your skill level pegged for a 15 yr/old girl I dramatically overshot your capabilities.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #91 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Man whos h8ing now... (may wanna bring your daughter in to explain this 1 to you)

Enjoy your clam plate. I take comfort in knowing that if it gets to hard to use, like a drill with a handle, you have your 15yr daughter to drill your holes for you.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

luv2fish2

« Reply #92 on: Oct 17, 2014, 05:01 PM »
ok i fiquired mine out got it all mounted the right way looks good i think i'll really like it i can use with mitts on. I ran my drill last year with my adapter worked great but i like the added leverage the plate gives me i can see were it definately is useful when using my lazer ya know that last little piece it catch's just before it get's threw well built and worth"my" money to each there own on buy or don't buy my 2 cents i'd buy it again . anbody try the clam auger on it it's got serrated type blades i'm thinking they might work a little better and last longer and stay sharper

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #93 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:46 PM »

clam mount is 6#

The Clam Drill plate (complete with auger drive shaft) weighs 75.1 ounces, remove the chuck 9.4 ounces.
Total weight 65.7 ounces = 4 pounds 2 ounces NOT 6 pounds.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #94 on: Oct 17, 2014, 08:21 PM »
BE WARNED: See the attached picture. The violent action of a 7" Lazer breaking through will cause the lug to shear off. It takes between 30 - 50 holes.
This is a picture of the 4th drill. I was on a first name basis with 2 customer service reps @ Milwaukee.
The sad thing is it doesn't happen when your admiring your beautiful drill auger combo at home. It happens when your half way through drilling your holes on your trip of the month. Can also be very embarrassing.
It also can happen with the much ballyhooed Ridgid as they have the same lugs and arm. Now you have to take it to the HD that is a full service Ridgid service center. Can be up to 2 weeks to be repaired, as told to me by a Ridgid service man.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/frs578/P1010083_zpsdba47371.jpg?1413595171962&1413595172247
Leave Some For Seed

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #95 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Yankee, i recall you telling me about your drill when we met on the ice last year.

Im curious, did you ever try the drill with the handle on the other side? With handle on the left side of the drill all the upward pressure is on the closest lug. With the handle on the right side the upward pressure is transferred across the top of the drill to the other side. Thats how i used it last year and didnt have any issue with the lug shearing.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Hmmmmm........ there is a bad scenario for ANY drill auger
BE WARNED: See the attached picture. The violent action of a 7" Lazer breaking through will cause the lug to shear off. It takes between 30 - 50 holes.
This is a picture of the 4th drill. I was on a first name basis with 2 customer service reps @ Milwaukee.
The sad thing is it doesn't happen when your admiring your beautiful drill auger combo at home. It happens when your half way through drilling your holes on your trip of the month. Can also be very embarrassing.
It also can happen with the much ballyhooed Ridgid as they have the same lugs and arm. Now you have to take it to the HD that is a full service Ridgid service center. Can be up to 2 weeks to be repaired, as told to me by a Ridgid service man.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/frs578/P1010083_zpsdba47371.jpg?1413595171962&1413595172247
Less likely to happen with the auger plate???? I think so!!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:39 PM »
How does that work for you DumbBucket??? Oh thats right you will just walk into Home Depot and lie about what your doing with the drill... Then hide behind your service agreement!!!! Great Guy!!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Oct 17, 2014, 11:10 PM »
The bottom line is Baitbrain will tell you to save your money because the plate is not worth the money... I'm saying if your going to build one and spend money on a good drill motor... its for sure worth possibly saving your drill. The Milwaukee fuel is especially susceptible to breaking the drill case because it has considerably more torque and rpm. Not a bad thing if you have a plate.... Funny how after all the debate a picture is worth a thousand words... Thanks Yankee...

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #99 on: Oct 18, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Yankee, i recall you telling me about your drill when we met on the ice last year.

Im curious, did you ever try the drill with the handle on the other side? With handle on the left side of the drill all the upward pressure is on the closest lug. With the handle on the right side the upward pressure is transferred across the top of the drill to the other side. Thats how i used it last year and didnt have any issue with the lug shearing.

Your analysis is wrong. You'll still tear off a lug. Try a 7" Lazer and you'll find out. One of my pictures shows a 6" Nils auger on the Milwaukee. That day I did 60 holes through 17" of ice with 1 battery. I ran out of gas before the drill. The Nils is a fine auger but like a fine woman it's high maintenance.
I'll stick with the Clam plate. Engineering wise a much better solution. At 4 pounds and $60 I think it's cheap insurance.
Leave Some For Seed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.