The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: power augers  (Read 1707 times)

Offline lakehopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
power augers
« on: Feb 04, 2005, 11:20 PM »
thinking of getting a power auger
what kind and size do you guy recomend
prefer nothing much over 7"
the ice in my area doesnt get much over 16-20" on a good year
If ya cant dazzle them with brilliance baffle um with [IMG]

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: power augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2005, 12:32 PM »
Most everyone is out fishing today. I wish I was too. Not enuf ice here anymore. You are going to get a lot of opinions from Nils to Jiffy and everything in between. I have had 5 power augers to date and I will give you my opinion on each, but remember this is only my opinion based on my experience and not necessarily gospel.

The first one I owned was a 3 hp Jiffy 8". It was and is a good auger. My uncle still has it, but I'm not sure he uses it any more. The only thing I didn't like about it was its weight.

The second one I owned was an Eskimo Shark 2hp 8". I really liked this one for the money, about $200 brand new 5 years ago. It cut good and was not too heavy. I fell down with this one and bent the screw and sold it to someone that had a bad powerhead but a good screw. Note to self. Don't walk around carrying a power auger w/o spikes on your feet...

The third one was a Eskimo Barracuda 2hp 8". Again, this was a good auger and reasonably light to carry. It had rubber handles which were more comfortable and easier to hold on with. It was a little more at $319 if I remember right. I sold this one to one of my dad's friends bc my dad told me that we needed a 10" 3hp instead.  :unsure:

The forth one was a Strikemaster 3hp 10". I litterally hated this one and only owned it for about a month. The engine ran like total sh!t and I had to pull on the starter cord dozens of times to get it started. Not good. Strikemaster even told me they have a lot of problems with the 3hp model and suggested that I get the 2hp instead. It sounded like good advice so I took the 3hp back and traded it for the one I have now which is the Lazer Mag Ultra.

The Mag Ultra is a 9" with 3 blades. IMO the blades are pricey (bout 40 clams) but it seems to cut reasonably well even for a 2hp (assuming the blades are in good cond.). The engine starts on the first or second pull every time and its fairly light to carry. I did have a few problems with this auger. First of all its a little pricey at $420 (or more) clams to buy new. You could get a gas powered Nils for about the same money. The blades ice up pretty bad in extremely cold weather which isn't something I have had problems with before. The other thing is I hit something in the ice once and instantly ruined the blades, but that can happen any time you his something regardless of the brand.

Sorry so windy. I am sure you will get more opinions. The 2hp Tecumseh engines seem to be pretty well built and dependable. The 3's on the other hand I don't think I will ever want again. Hope this helps. Good Luck

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline lakehopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2005, 07:20 PM »
thanx fozsey
sounds like you have had the best luck with 2 hp models
was thinking maybe strikemaster but alot of $$$
may just get a jiffy
If ya cant dazzle them with brilliance baffle um with [IMG]

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2005, 09:23 PM »
we have a 2hp strikemaster mag 2000 8". have had it for years and stil runs good

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2005, 07:37 PM »
Have a earthquack powerhead with a ice shaft. Got power head for about 200.00 at Fleet Farm in Wisc. and went online for the 8" shaft for 73.00 at altapower.com. Figured if it could go through the earth it would have no problem in the ice. Plus I already had the powerhead. You might be able to get a powerhead cheaper online.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:18 PM »
if you have the money ($490), get a nils - there is no comparing a nils power auger to any other power auger made...it is just that good - it cuts 9" of black ice  2.5 - 3 seconds, and it only weighs 21 lbs - ask anyone who has ever used one.

Offline mikeyk101

• IceShanty Rookie
  • not a big one but at least i got a fish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:33 PM »
best advice i can give you is to find some one you know that has just purchased a new auger and buy there old one off of them make sure you know they took care of it and at least knew that they had to mix gas and oil.  if it needs a little work work on it there isn't much to a power auger and with a few tools and a little time you can completely rebuild one.  I bought my fist powere auger from a guy that works with my dad for 100 bucks i would of got it for 50 but it started on the first pull and thats all ways a great thing.  if you got the time to wait start looking around now some guy's would rather sell them than summarize them and you can save allot of money buying used. by the may the one i have is 8 inches and thats a perfect size.
the a bad day of ice fishing is better that a good day at work

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2005, 02:55 AM »
The next one I want is the Eskimo 33cc Stingray, cheap and very good power and cutting action, so they say.
You can find it here: http://www.cabelas.C0M/products/Cpod0029151.jsp

[/img]

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:42 AM »
2HP 8" Jiffy Lightning, 3 years, no problems. Bought the Jiffy because there are local repair centers in my area, so figured if I had a problem, wouldn't have to ship it long distance, could drop off and pick up. Once the ice gets more than 6", you'll want to power through, and will never go back to the hand auger or spud. (But keep 'em in case of emergency......)
Gregg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.