The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: gas auger, whats your choice.  (Read 10952 times)

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: gas auger, whats your choice.
« Reply #60 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Exactly, darkwater... I was being a wee bit sarcastic there  ;) . Had a Model 30 for 20 or so years, then got a Lighning 2HP (that was a big difference), sold it for a profit a few years back & got a 10" Lazer Mag Express  8). I DO like the speed & the weight.

Couldn't have been against a well maintained Strikemaster with sharp blades  ::)...I'll race ya' for pink slips, Mago   ;D .

I meant to quote the quote you quoted.....real tongue twister there  ;D Guys who think Jiffy are the best are'nt right in the head. StrikeMaster rules.......... :thumbsup:

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:23 PM »
I had a Jiffy 3hp and if you like a heavy auger that drills slow's Jiffy is where its at. Ive since bought a StrikeMaster Laser mag that is about 10 lbs. lighter and cuts 2x the speed. Im happy with Strike Master.

you must of had some problems, my jiffy straight up halls @$$ through twenty inches of ice.  i can drill 3-5 holes to one compared to a strikemaster and a eskimo that friends of mine bring out with them.  

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Never known Jiffy and fast to be used in the same sentance befor. We must have different ones here the ones everyone uses are loud and slow. But I'm spoiled with the Nils

Offline boblee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:42 PM »
you have to be rich to own a strikemaster, or it will break your pockets trying to repair the dang thing.  I owned two strikemasters and then upgraded to a jiffy. 

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #64 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Jiffy is AMERICAN made. That made my decision for me. Mine is brand new, never used yet for me.

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
« Reply #65 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:51 PM »
ESKIMO and only ESKIMO!!!!!!!!

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Jiffy is AMERICAN made. That made my decision for me. Mine is brand new, never used yet for me.
More like american designed.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:06 PM »
More like american designed.

Yep welcome to the new America.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 09, 2010, 01:22 PM »
IT HAPPENED, LOL, I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to be moved off the Manitoba board LOL.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Sorry, incorrect ....... All new Strikematers, Jiffys, and Eskimos have Chinese or German drill motors.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:12 PM »
German engineered Chinese made.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:43 AM »
Sorry, incorrect ....... All new Strikematers, Jiffys, and Eskimos have Chinese or German drill motors.

I haven't been keeping tabs on Jiffy, but thought they were still made in USA (Wisconsin). My Jiffy 30 is 4 years old and has the made in USA sticker on it and it's a great auger.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:40 PM »
you must of had some problems, my jiffy straight up halls @$$ through twenty inches of ice.  i can drill 3-5 holes to one compared to a strikemaster and a eskimo that friends of mine bring out with them.  

I had no problems with my Jiffy other then it was heavy and slow. I only bought a StrikeMaster cause everyone else that has one up here can drill holes effortlessly and very fast. I live in Saskatchewan, quite abit north of most guys, and we get serious ice and cold. Top performers around here are Strikemaster and thus I went out and bought one this winter. Ive never seen a Nils here in Canada and if they sold them Id probably buy one from what Ive read.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Jiffy now uses a Chinese motor.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Ya, and the money you used to pay for it was 40% chinese too.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #75 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:01 PM »
I haven't been keeping tabs on Jiffy, but thought they were still made in USA (Wisconsin). My Jiffy 30 is 4 years old and has the made in USA sticker on it and it's a great auger.

Yea, unfortunately that has changed.

Offline bri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Anything you buy will get through the ice, you pay more for speed and reduced weight.  I recommend nils or strike master (with solo engine).

Offline njangler121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:19 PM »
well i really had no choice a friend of mine  has a strikelite 4 stroke. its brand new in box he had it for 3 yrs. and is willing to sell it to me for 200. the only thing I'm concerned about it has a composite shaft.since this will be my first gas auger. always used a 8 in nils hand auger.what would you guys due .continue using nils and save some coin and get something else .thanks for any info

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:44 PM »
Since you already have the auger why not just buy the Tanaka powerhead for it?? Sooner or later you will have to replace the composite bit, Strikemaster no longer makes it they put the Lazer bit on the new Strikelites.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:50 PM »
I meant to quote the quote you quoted.....real tongue twister there  ;D Guys who think Jiffy are the best are'nt right in the head. StrikeMaster rules.......... :thumbsup:

I totally agree, guys who think Jiffy is the best aren't right in the head, just like guys who think Strikemaster is the best, they aren't right in the head either.

Much better products out there.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #80 on: Dec 14, 2010, 01:39 PM »
I own an older Jiffy, but have no idea which brand I would buy at this time. I kind of like chipper blades because they are easy to maintain, so would probably stay with something with chipper blades. Weight doesn't concern me much since I don't walk and pull a porty anymore. Whatever fits on my quad or in my pickup. If I do walk out, I don't go too far.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline njangler121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:43 PM »
Since you already have the auger why not just buy the Tanaka powerhead for it?? Sooner or later you will have to replace the composite bit, Strikemaster no longer makes it they put the Lazer bit on the new Strikelites.
i really don't have the extra coin to get the head for the nils . so i guess i have to get the strikelite.if the composite breaks would the new lazer shaft fit thanks

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:05 PM »
All Strikemaster bits fir Strikemaster motors, you will need an adapter made to use the Nils with the Strikemaseter.

Offline njangler121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:37 PM »
thanks esox. i guess ill see what happens ill just have to be careful with it.if i get a season out out of it .and maybe sell it and get the powerhead for the nils. how much does it cost cause i really like my nils theres nothing else like it for a hand auger. cant imagine it with a powerhead what it would do.good luck and be safe this year and next.thanks

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:55 PM »
. My local shop get's $580 for the Nils set up, not sure what just the motor runs for price.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:31 PM »
I totally agree, guys who think Jiffy is the best aren't right in the head, just like guys who think Strikemaster is the best, they aren't right in the head either.

Much better products out there.

you must have forgot your meds today...thats ok though, it happens.

Offline parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:55 AM »
nothing beats an eskimo--its that simple
is there anything better than a day on the ice?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #87 on: Dec 15, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Buying a new auger has to be a no brainer because according to the posts I have read, all brands are the absolute best. I'll just close my eyes, point and spin around a time or two.   :whistle: ;)2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #88 on: Dec 15, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Opinions are like A$$h@1es.  Everybody has one.  Whatever fits the budget, and whatever you are willing to put up with for repair bs(time & bucks) after you have bought it!!!  My Nils has treated me well for over 20 years.  Friends with Jiffy, Strikemaster, Eskimo and others are busy fixing their augers from their copiusly filled repair kits while I am fishing and digging more holes.   

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:36 PM »
That's why you buy an electric ....... ;D My gas auger was sold the next weekend.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.