The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Warm Weather  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
Warm Weather
« on: Jan 15, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Does anyone think the warm weather next week will drastically affect the ice on the lakes.  If so, How much damage will it do?  Or do you think there'll be enough ice to fish on next weekend.
Gotta Love Fishing in Montana!

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Warm Weather
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2005, 10:07 PM »
Nobody has a thought.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2005, 11:42 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. It is already 18". How long does 30-40-50 degree weather make it unsafe?

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2005, 02:41 PM »
I don't know.  It's supposed to be 58 degrees here in great falls on Sunday.  That's when I was planning to head to Lake Frances to fish.  Unless I know that the ice is safe, I'm going fly fishing.

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2005, 09:27 AM »
I just hope the weatherman is wrong.  Maybe it will cool back down before the end of the week.

waistdeep

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2005, 04:31 PM »
I wouldn't panic with the short daylength we have at this time of year and the cloudy skies in the forecast.  It's still supposed to get down into the 20s at night.  The rain took the snow down considerably today and could be a problem if it continues, but I'll be surprised if this warm spell makes much of a dent in the ice built during last week's arctic blast.

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2005, 05:39 PM »
I think it's the wind we need to worry about.  40-55 degrees for a week with 20-30 mph winds.  That wind will erase the ice.  That's what I'm worried about.

waistdeep

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:31 PM »
You could be on to something at least regarding the late-freezing larger lakes.  I hadn't realized how little ice there was on Canyon Ferry to begin with.  Depsite the deep freeze last week, less than 8 inches at White Earth plus the melted snow added a good inch of water on top of it today.  Plenty safe but what a mess.  NWS ::) underestimated the temps and overestimated the winds again today.  If I practically have to wear waders to stay dry, I'd prefer to be standing in the Mo with my fly rod, too.   

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2005, 02:34 AM »
I was fishing on Tiber this weekend and had to go down and pick up my tip-ups on Sunday, what a mess.  There was 2 inches of water on everything and the pressure ridges are big time scary now.  And the ice that's close to shore I definentlywould suggest taking a close look at before driving any vehicles on.  And to top it off I lost 2 tip-ups through the ice.  hopefully it's going to cool down, but everyone stay safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.