Author Topic: 30-06 jig?  (Read 5984 times)

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
30-06 jig?
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 12:16 PM »
A buddy of mine ran into a local! Up North a few miles, who fills an empty 30-06 shell with lead, and attaches a treble-hook baited with perch meat while fishing for burbot.  He was given one, on the lake.  Within five minutes he drug up a 36 incher!  I guess it was his only catch, but he was jacked, to say the least.  Anyone else heard of using ammo (used) on fish?

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: 30-06 jig?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Never heard of that trick before, but makes sense to me.
The heavy weighted cartage would bang the bottom hard kicking up lots of sand and debris and make a fair ruckus.
When the burbot came to check it out, the chunk of bait on the hook appealed to their sense of smell and taste, and bang, fish on. :tipup:

I bet adding some steel shot to clang around inside a sealed spent cartage may work also, just like a larger buckshot rattle spoon.

WW

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Not much different than using a big diamond jig, or a gold swedish pimple really.  Some days very simple plain looking jigs work best.

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2020, 03:34 PM »
Never heard of this before, what end was the hook attached to the neck of the case or the primer side. Might have to make some of these I have a ton of 30-06 brass
Tight lines and big fish

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2021, 04:28 PM »
I have read a lot lately about using copper pipe jigs for cod and halibut. Seems like a smaller version of the same idea. Bet it would work good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.