New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1341310 times)

Offline DShooo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9660 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Rumor has it the owner forgot to turn off his truck and went fishing all day...feel bad for the owner of the truck that parked next to him if that's the case.
I'd rather be fishing...

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9661 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:19 PM »
wow tuna looks like you have a new fishing friend. .  ::)

Lol. I didn’t day I’d fish with with him. But  I’m always willing to lend a helping hand if I can.

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9662 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Was going to go tomorrow to Pilot Knob for my first time ever fishing there. Now I’m nervous with the trucks going through. Does anyone know if they marked where it happened? 
A bad day fishin still beats a good day at work!!

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9663 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Yeah, there will be 2 trucks sticking out of the water.

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9664 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Yeah, there will be 2 trucks sticking out of the water.

Thought they would of been pulled out already didn’t realize they were still in. Thanks.

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9665 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:18 PM »
they got both trucks out of the ice and flagged it , you will be fine. i measured 11 inches of ice where i was fishing in 70-90 feet of water

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9666 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:27 PM »
they got both trucks out of the ice and flagged it , you will be fine. i measured 11 inches of ice where i was fishing in 70-90 feet of water

Thanks a lot.

Offline jtsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • So many fish , So little time.....
« Reply #9667 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:40 PM »
That was my buddies truck that went in the water. The guy to the outside of him went out fishing and left his truck running for 5 hours .No wind , low sitting Nissan truck ,blocked on both sides, and the ice started to melt. Water came up through small cracks, started putting weight on the ice, with seven other truck in the same line , they all started to go under water. The trucks muffler eventually entered the water creating an ice eater extraordinaire . I know for a fact their were 20 cars parked there yesterday without incident. Their were 3 cars parked to the OUTSIDE of the 2 trucks that went in and they didn’t even get wet tires.  We can all look at pictures and make assumptions, but pictures don’t always tell the true story. I was there. It wasnt like they were joy riding around on the lake. I fished a 1/2 mile out with 3 other guys and never hit less the 10 inches of ice.

Offline jtsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9668 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:50 PM »
And hot tuna, for what it’s worth, you self righteous and condescending. Get off that box your always standing on

Offline jtsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9669 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:02 PM »
I’d also like to state that my buddy had his business name and number on the back window or the truck in large white letters. In the 3 hours it was sinking, probably a hundred plus people watched it sink. Took a thousand pictures to post on social media, and not one person called the number and tried to tell the man his truck was sinking . **censored**??? I truly want to thank the man , a complete stranger, who searched the ice on his quad, found my buddy and gave him a ride in. Your a rare animal these days my friend, sadly enough.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9670 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I’d also like to state that my buddy had his business name and number on the back window or the truck in large white letters. In the 3 hours it was sinking, probably a hundred plus people watched it sink. Took a thousand pictures to post on social media, and not one person called the number and tried to tell the man his truck was sinking . **censored**??? I truly want to thank the man , a complete stranger, who searched the ice on his quad, found my buddy and gave him a ride in. Your a rare animal these days my friend, sadly enough.

That’s crazy man! I would have been walking around trying to find the owner as well.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9671 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:11 PM »
That's to bad and I'm sure it was costly.
Far from self righteous,  just self preservation.
I know people park on the ice all the time but it's something that I couldn't fathom.  Just to many things can go wrong.

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9672 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Had nothing to do with the truck running, the crack must’ve opened up around 9am it was more of a hole, near the passenger side front tire of the truck with the rear window lettered up. I was there at 930 The water was pushing up pretty good at that point, the water was up 4-5” on the lettered trucks tires. I was trying to tell people not to park there but 3 of 6 ignored even when I pointed out how fast the water was coming up. Honestly it almost looked like someone drilled a hole to check the ice. At that point I thought it was just going to get real slushy. Didn’t see all that coming. You’re buddy didn’t by chance drill a “test hole” did he?

Offline jtsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9673 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Yes, we were going to jig lake trout on Lake George, and he drilled a test hole in 4 feet of water.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9674 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Every year that spot opens up this same exact time of the season until ice out. There is always a ridge there, with standing water under it. Usually takes a plank to get accross. Maybe today just so happened to be the day she decided she wanted to open up there again.

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9675 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:47 PM »
The “test hole” would be to check ice depth... lol!!! Is your buddy smarter than you?!?!

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9676 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Someone leaves his truck running 5 hours straight with wind blocked over a test hole in that spot every year?  :-\

Offline jtsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9677 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:01 PM »
Your powers of deduction are impressive. Deciphering the large phone number on the back window and a phone call at 9:30 would have saved a sunken truck at 11. Your a sharp cookie yourself .

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9678 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Someone leaves his truck running 5 hours straight with wind blocked over a test hole in that spot every year?  :-\
I know right, crazy coincidence! You’re buddy is a guide/captain? I only glanced the lettering... you think he would understand the value of hiring a guide with local knowledge about ice conditions and safety! When someone text me the picture at noon of his truck I couldn’t help but feel embarrassed for him... then again any publicity’s good publicity... anyone got a picture of his logo on the rear window with the front end dropped through?

Offline cebzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9679 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:38 PM »
that’s exactly why I didn’t park there this morning. There Had to be at least 30 trucks parked there at 730 this morning it could of happened to any of them. And it made the news

Offline fisher277d

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Haunted by waters
« Reply #9680 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Are they allowing people to park at the Beech on green harbor lane does anyone know???
Dirty Drifters

Fishmon

« Reply #9681 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:34 PM »
that’s exactly why I didn’t park there this morning. There Had to be at least 30 trucks parked there at 730 this morning it could of happened to any of them. And it made the news

Calling Dr. Slipbob.  Please remind everyone what the insurance ramifications of launching your truck or other vehicle to bottom of the lake are.  I know you did this earlier, but this would be timely.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9682 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Cutting a test hole is exactly how they sank a few trucks in that spot  some years ago.. you don't drill a hole in the bottom of the boat. Had nothing to do with a truck running, once that water starts getting on top of the ice it starts weighing it all down.  There was a lot of vehicles all parked next to each other which did not help either.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9683 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:27 AM »
Cutting a test hole is exactly how they sank a few trucks in that spot  some years ago.. you don't drill a hole in the bottom of the boat. Had nothing to do with a truck running, once that water starts getting on top of the ice it starts weighing it all down.  There was a lot of vehicles all parked next to each other which did not help either.

What exactly is the point of drilling a test hole in a spot like that anyway? You can see dozens of shanties right out off of the beach and it's been frozen for weeks now so it's a fairly safe bet that there is safe ice out to the main lake. If you're that worried you should be swinging a spud anyway. Obviously once you get out on the main lake / different sheets of ice it never hurts to drill a hole to see what you're dealing with but even then the spud is the answer since you can't drill a hole for every step. Drilling a test hole every 50 feet does nothing for you for the 49 feet in between the test holes

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #9684 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Calling Dr. Slipbob.  Please remind everyone what the insurance ramifications of launching your truck or other vehicle to bottom of the lake are.  I know you did this earlier, but this would be timely.

It's all about comprehensive coverage.  If you have it then the water damage to the vehicle is covered just like being in a flood.  Anybody with a newer vehicle that has a lien will be required to have collision and comp. by the bank or lease company but if you have an older vehicle then you may or may not have it.  The towing and recovery charges are limited by the policy you have but can be covered for as much as 1K so it might be enough to get the vehicle out.  If there is a fuel spill and fines then that's another ball game and you may or may not be covered for that depending on your policy. 

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9685 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Enough of the truck drama, how was the fishing?  Ice in the middle of the lake good?

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9686 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Enough of the truck drama, how was the fishing?  Ice in the middle if the lake good?

We fished yesterday out of Vet's. Fish were lethargic to say the least and those were the reports from everyone I talked to yesterday. We ended up catching our share but it was an off bite for sure. I only had one or two fish chase and hit but I pulled numerous right off the bottom and even had a few hit a falling jig which almost never happens.

Ice was about 8.5 where we were in the main lake. Snow wasn't horrible and supported the sleds but walking was  a bit of a workout.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9687 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:34 AM »
That was my buddies truck that went in the water. The guy to the outside of him went out fishing and left his truck running for 5 hours .No wind , low sitting Nissan truck ,blocked on both sides, and the ice started to melt. Water came up through small cracks, started putting weight on the ice, with seven other truck in the same line , they all started to go under water. The trucks muffler eventually entered the water creating an ice eater extraordinaire . I know for a fact their were 20 cars parked there yesterday without incident. Their were 3 cars parked to the OUTSIDE of the 2 trucks that went in and they didn’t even get wet tires.  We can all look at pictures and make assumptions, but pictures don’t always tell the true story. I was there. It wasnt like they were joy riding around on the lake. I fished a 1/2 mile out with 3 other guys and never hit less the 10 inches of ice.
              If you noticed the front end of the trucks went under before the rear ends, therefor the exhaust couldn't act like an ice eater. I would believe it more like
              a hole drilled or the ice just cracked enough for water to come up through! I've seen this before!

IW

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9688 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:41 AM »
We fished yesterday out of Vet's. Fish were lethargic to say the least and those were the reports from everyone I talked to yesterday. We ended up catching our share but it was an off bite for sure. I only had one or two fish chase and hit but I pulled numerous right off the bottom and even had a few hit a falling jig which almost never happens.

Ice was about 8.5 where we were in the main lake. Snow wasn't horrible and supported the sleds but walking was  a bit of a workout.
Thanks John.  I had to stay close to home this weekend, wound up fishing Blue on Saturday for just under two hours. Had a couple looker off bottom, then switched to a small Swedish pimple, and they were chasing.  Caught three,  23, 21, and 19.  Fished at 39’.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9689 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Fish were biting but you had to move to find them I went out from 7-1 landed 11 missed a few more my buddy did better

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.