Author Topic: Where & how to fish for Salmon  (Read 12461 times)

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
Where & how to fish for Salmon
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:33 AM »
I am from Mass.  and I have never caught a salmon through the ice or open water... Where would you look? I have caught plenty of trout, do the salmon hang out in the same area?  Also I asked someone at my local bait store about the stocked salmon and they told me that they die if they are not caught within a few months after stocking... is this true?

Any info is appreciated.. Thanks!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Where & how to fish for Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:19 AM »
Have you ever been up to Lake George in NY. Salmon usually hang out 1-10 feet just below the ice all over the lake. They usually cruise all over the ice.  As for the stocked salmon dying, have never heard of that before.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:02 AM »
Check out Onota Lake in Pittsfield, they have been stocking it with salmon for a few years now.  Try setting a medium size minnow just underneath the ice ( 5 feet or so).  All the ones I have caught have been just under the ice.  Good Luck.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Lake Onata is HUGE compared to what I normally ice fish.  Last year I was thinking about going there only thing was its size..  I will place a few flags below the ice and see what happens!

Thanks!

Offline flagfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:21 AM »
Animalz,
I know they stock Lake Cochtuate in Natick,a guy I know got a 8 lber Saturday.I concur that you catch them 1 to 10 ft under the Ice
Good Luck

Gerry :tipup: :tipup:

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:35 PM »
I have had experanced salmon fishermen tell me 1-5' under the ice... others have told me 1' below to the bottom of the lake..  they swim everywhere...  i dont knwo what to think anymore...  i think ill just put some under the ice, on the bottom and in the middle....  tightlines and good luck moose!
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline Bob S.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2006, 09:42 AM »
Anima1z where are you from?  when ice fishing for salmon you should fish in the first 3 feet under the ice. you will notice when you catch 1 that there noses are all scratched up from brushing up against the ice. thats because they are used to swimming along the top of the tanks waiting to be fed.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2006, 01:29 PM »
Anima1z where are you from?  when ice fishing for salmon you should fish in the first 3 feet under the ice. you will notice when you catch 1 that there noses are all scratched up from brushing up against the ice. thats because they are used to swimming along the top of the tanks waiting to be fed.

I think the reason they get their noses cut up is from chasing baitfish, not from rubbing their snouts along the ice waiting for a meal to drop down. Wild salmon have the same habits as those from stock tanks,  they've never been fed in a tank in their lives...

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:06 PM »
I've also heard of putting shiners only a foot below the ice. wht im wondering tho is wht depth water to be in? are they deep, mid range or shallow? i hit 5 mile yesterday and NO salmon have been caught yet, thats out of 70! Did have some rainbows playin with the shiners. im gonna give the lake one more try soon.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:06 PM »
i like 2-3' under the ice in 20-30' of water.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:14 PM »
WOW!. no wonder no ones takin the salmon yet, everyones set up shallow, im a gonna have to set up in deeper water, wht lake u on n e ways 'ifishhi' for salmon?

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:18 PM »
where ever i fish for salmon thats how i do it. i do like kezar lake and green lake.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:23 PM »
if its not to much to ask but were are kezar and green lake, are they in mass and are u talin about broodstock salmon?

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:30 PM »
 in maine. lovell and ellsworth.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:34 PM »
o, so u were talkin about landlocks. o well, i guess i should try it out on broodstocks. thanks for the info.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:48 PM »
up here broodstock are big old hatchery fish they release before they die. we fish for them the same as native. i also like small bait ,no bigger than a bic lighter (not the mini) find a gravel/ rocky botom near apoint or island.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:55 PM »
o, i thought mass. and conn. were the only states with broodstocks, does vermont or new hampshire have any ???

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:57 PM »
not sure. you are talking about land lock too? where in mass are ya?

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:01 PM »
i be near springfield :D . nah, i wasn't talkin about landlocks, i only thought that maine had landlocks tho, no broods. do u have an AOL screen name or MSN messenger name?

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:06 PM »
what kind of salmon do you have ? broodstock are hatchery fish they get eggs from, its not a strain of salmon. no i'm on yahoo .same name

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:08 PM »
i knew it wasnt a strain, i only thought maine had landlock salmon though, the kind that naturally reproduce in lakes, not the massive atlantic salmon that they use for broodstocks. can i email yah at that name?

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:20 PM »
i wish they would do some thing with atlantic's here we can't even fish for them they are closed to all fishing. sure you can email me i'm kinda slow when it comes to mail though. do you ever get to maine? we could hook up and fish for salmon or what ever. i mostly fish for togue through the ice. come on 30 pounder :thumbsup:

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:23 PM »
dangit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was just in maine a week ago ;D . Stayed in the Kittery area and blasted $300 big ones at KTP. Also went to the ice fishing seminar they held. very helpful. i go withmy family maybe once a year, so maybe we could head out some time. good luck on those togue (we call em lakers here :P )

Offline kismet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:13 PM »
fish onota lake all the time doesn't matter what you know or you think you know that lake will give you a lesson in boredom.but when you do get a flag it's useually a good size fishlot of salmon in there but where is the question they move around all day never in the same spot

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:27 PM »
i usually get im right under the ice but the big boys cruise about 15ft. down. on cloudy or snowing days set some halfway down too. sunny your better to go high. deep water near a point or a sand bar works best for me.

Offline eagle86801

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:21 AM »
o, i thought mass. and conn. were the only states with broodstocks, does vermont or new hampshire have any ???

Vermont and New Hampshire haven't gotten any broodstock Salmon in a few years .  I think since 2004 . The Federal Hatchery told me that they don't want them any more because of the  PCB scare  in 2004 . They don't want to contaminate their waters.   The fish are always checked and are PCB free but Vermont and New Hampshire don't want to take the risk.  The other states Ma . RI and  Ct are happy to take the  extra fish.   I heard  Ct and RI aren't going to take fish this year.  Not sure why  I think its late and real cold to go pick them up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.