Author Topic: What is your season ender- when is ice no longer "safe"?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
As the temps start to rise, I thought a thread about what to look for as far as ice safety and knowing when to call it a day might be helpful. I'm just wondering what is everyone's personal cutoff for ice fishing. How do you make the call that a particular ice sheet is done for the season or day, or do you just call the whole season done? We all know that there is NO safe ice but when and what specifically do you look for that seals the deal and ends the ice fishing? For me it is of course specific to locations as one lake or part of a lake might be good while another isn't. I guess the edges dictate my season more than anything else, once those are getting soft or gone I will be done at that lake. I have crossed over planks to access the ice and will only do this if there is still 6"+ of good ice. I wear ice picks and a float suit every time I go on the ice.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What is your season ender- when is ice no longer "safe"?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:58 PM »
when the ice melts back to 6 inches, i'm done. a few years ago i was on mctucker ponds, and in the morning the ice was nice, about 5 inches, but when the sun came out and got high in the sky all of a sudden the ice was only about 3 inches thick. i'm no fool. we got out of there in a hurry.
when the weather has been on a warming trend, especially with rain and wind in the mix, it's wise to get very leery of any ice you venture out on.

Offline 405g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:32 PM »
It depends, but mostly when the edges rot too far to bridge to allow ATV access.

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Today was it for me, got out this morning was not 10 or 15 ft out ,hard drive spud goes right through ice under my feet gave a little,got off as gently as I could thats it for me  weather here is going to warm up with rain I think my season is done unless I go up north no gill is worth a soaker or worse! Stay safe!!!!

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:11 PM »
Our local lake is man-made . There are underwater springs in places that could make questionable ice very dangerous . When the fisherman drop planks at shore to get onto the ice , I'm done . Period . No fish worth dieing for .

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:25 PM »
Many years ago, we fished Chesterfield on 21 inches of ice, with 3-4 inches of water on top.  That was wacky.

The only time I got seriously wet was looking for ice on March 3.  Stepped off the dock to measure the ice at Hawkins and went right in, bruised a rib.  Since then, along with other safeguards, I normally don't try to get on the ice after President's day.  Just one more rule of thumb for me, around here.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I'm with 4x4Dad, if it requires a board I am probably not getting on.

Offline AverysAdventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Lol, I usually have to go for a swim before I call it quits.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:01 AM »
I will walk on until that is not possible. I used waders and a life jacket last year to get on. I would rather have a buddy for safety, but for some reason, they are hard to come by when conditions are like that
 :-\

Offline AverysAdventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Ladders, waders, canoe and always my float coat.  I'll go with you badger!

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:56 PM »
I will walk on until that is not possible. I used waders and a life jacket last year to get on. I would rather have a buddy for safety, but for some reason, they are hard to come by when conditions are like that
 :-\

Hmmmmmm , I wonder why that is ?  :blink:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.