The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Time to give drills another shot?  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Time to give drills another shot?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Did you read this whole thread? He was trying to turn an 8 inch mora with a 425 lb/in drill.
Lol!!! Can't figure out why that won't work.... 3300 you know better!!! "Did everything right that he could"??? Except for buying an adequate drill. Do you recommend using a 425 in/lb rigid for a 8" Mora??? NOPE!!! And no other brand with 425 in/lbs will do it either without cutting the battery out and breaking or burning up!!! To the OP, there are lots of brands that make a drill suitable to turn a 6" auger with no problem, however for a 8" hole you need a drill with lots of torque. The Milwaukee Fuel offers a model with 1200 in/lbs which is why it is so often used on 8" augers. It is construction grade and very durable and thats why it is popular as well. I have built many of these augers for myself and friends as well as others, I will ONLY use the Milwaukee in my builds. I can't tell you about the warranty stuff because I have never had to use it yet. Also, I have always recommended the use of the clam plate on the drill augers as well just because the 8" Mora blade can catch on the bottom of the hole and break more than a drill. They are a AWESOME way to go in my opinion, you just gotta build them right for what you want.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Well after some trial an error. I've got a Milwaukee 1200in/lb, Clam Plate Gen 2, Mora 10in auger with new blades.

The Milwaukee 1200in/lb drill turns it without getting over worked. 👍 I actually thought it turned easier then my 6in lazer.....lol

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:44 PM »
The Milwaukee 2704 or 2703 is the only drill u would consider for drilling ice. They are absolute monsters. No comparison to any other drill

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:30 AM »
Lol!!! Can't figure out why that won't work.... 3300 you know better!!! "Did everything right that he could"??? Except for buying an adequate drill. Do you recommend using a 425 in/lb rigid for a 8" Mora??? NOPE!!! And no other brand with 425 in/lbs will do it either without cutting the battery out and breaking or burning up!!!

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.msg3770456#msg3770456

Did you read this whole thread? He was trying to turn an 8 inch mora with a 425 lb/in drill.
i did read it.
i also used a 500 inch pound drill on a 8 inch mora with very dull blades and nothing broke, but then it's a different brand. and i didn't bother with a clam plate.

the issue is if the battery saw the load as too much (and it should have) it should have shut down the operation and not self destruct the tool (which it shouldn't of had enough torque to self destruct). if it didn't see it as a problem then that makes it a larger problem than we are talking about with castings breaking with a low torque drill. or an additional problem.

you realize a low torque (or a high torque) name brand drill should not self destruct don't you?

i am aware the drill is too small or not enough torque for the bit. it should have simply shut off. that's not the discussion of what i am conveying to the op about castings breaking on a certain brand drill on both high and low torque drills made by them.

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:30 AM »
I've got a 2704 coming and will be pairing it with my 7" Mora because I could only afford one half of this setup at a time (vs k drill or Nils ) hoping for good results.
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:25 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.msg3770456#msg3770456
i did read it.
i also used a 500 inch pound drill on a 8 inch mora with very dull blades and nothing broke, but then it's a different brand. and i didn't bother with a clam plate.

the issue is if the battery saw the load as too much (and it should have) it should have shut down the operation and not self destruct the tool (which it shouldn't of had enough torque to self destruct). if it didn't see it as a problem then that makes it a larger problem than we are talking about with castings breaking with a low torque drill. or an additional problem.

you realize a low torque (or a high torque) name brand drill should not self destruct don't you?

i am aware the drill is too small or not enough torque for the bit. it should have simply shut off. that's not the discussion of what i am conveying to the op about castings breaking on a certain brand drill on both high and low torque drills made by them.

Lol...look 3300 we realize you bought a ridgid. We understand that it has some "great" warranty. We understand that you want people to view ridgid has the best. What it doesn't change is what the drill is capable of. The simple specs prove that the high end Milwaukee drills are considerably better and more equipped to handle a job like turning an Ice auger.

You can continually point to a few of the issues the Milwaukee drills have had. Yes some have broken the T-Handle off. A few people have had some drills that were lemons. A few tried to take underpowered drills to do a job. These are not suprises, any company with any product is going to have some issues. For the most part they are pretty small and taken care of.

Now are there a few that are off warranty or not covered. Yeah. So they'll have to buy a bare replacement tool. Is this the end of the world. No.

You remind me of a salesman that isn't selling a product based on its specs and what it can do, but based on a warranty. Personally, I look at specs and what I'm actually buying, if I want a warranty I'll buy an extended warranty for the item.

Since I actually took the specs into account when I purchased. I've been able to do a lot of things that impressed me. One is being able to turn a 10in mora without a gear box & without overloading the drill.

I really can't understand your position at all on this one. The OP is asking about a drill setup and is concerned about it being able to do what he wants. So you try to push a ridgid 700 in/lb drill on the guy so when he burns it up he can get a new one? It looks pretty black and white to me. The OP wants something that will preform.....So one should look at specs to determine the capabilities and tolerance of the drills.

Specs (numbers) don't lie. A brushless drill with 1200in/lbs vs a brushless drill with 700in/lbs is a huge difference in preformance. Would you disagree?

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:18 PM »
i run a 700 in/lbs brushless ridgid on a clam plate turning a 7" lazer hand auger.  4.0amp lit batteries and can run all day long on one battery.  no issue hanging up at the bottom with a little practice and the drill does everything the big bad milwaukee can do.  just a different flavor.  i too wanted to keep at my old 8" hole from my old strikemaster 2 stroker  but the trade off to the 7" and not worrying about gas and the weight reduction is a no brainer.  if you want a bigger hole just drill an overlap. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:29 PM »
i run a 700 in/lbs brushless ridgid on a clam plate turning a 7" lazer hand auger.  4.0amp lit batteries and can run all day long on one battery.  no issue hanging up at the bottom with a little practice and the drill does everything the big bad milwaukee can do.  just a different flavor.  i too wanted to keep at my old 8" hole from my old strikemaster 2 stroker  but the trade off to the 7" and not worrying about gas and the weight reduction is a no brainer.  if you want a bigger hole just drill an overlap.

You just contradicted yourself and sound like a fool. You went to a 7in because you run a ridgid. Well a Milwaukee can and does turn a 8in all day and can do more. .........1200in/lbs to 700in/lbs.....there isn't a comparison.  Let's see get the actual race car with the big motor.....or get the body of a race car with a 4 cylinder in it....LMAO

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:01 AM »
Come on now, Milwalkee, Ridgid or Dewalt all are good drills and are doing what the person who bought them intended it to do. I bought the Ridgid to run the Nero Mini. Not a problem doing that. I don't go out each time to make swish cheese of a lake but I have been doing 20-25 holes each time with not a hitch.
Oh and I think I mentioned this before, The 7" Nero cuts a 7 3/8 " hole. At least mine does anyway. I think anyone running the Kdrill would be wasting money on the higher end drill because of how light it is and how it is made for lesser "#'S.  There is such a thing as overkill.
<===Lefty===

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Its simply about using the right tool for the job. Would you spool up all of your reels with 4# mono to go fish lake trout on the Great Lakes? Probably not..... since its not heavy enough to land a big one. Now if a mono company offered to replace your broken line under warranty, when it breaks, would you hinge your decision on the warranty alone?  Keep in mind that Rigids LSA warranty is not free. Your going to pay for it when you send it to wherever to get fixed for who knows how many weeks. The payment is in the form of lost time on the hard deck. Unless you have an authorized service dealer close that will drop everything he is doing and fix your drill that minute. You will cranking them out by hand again or waiting by the mail box for the drill to return. It sounds to me like guys are starting to figure out the warranty its self doesn't attach to the auger shaft and make a hole to fish from.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Its simply about using the right tool for the job. Would you spool up all of your reels with 4# mono to go fish lake trout on the Great Lakes? Probably not..... since its not heavy enough to land a big one. Now if a mono company offered to replace your broken line under warranty, when it breaks, would you hinge your decision on the warranty alone?  Keep in mind that Rigids LSA warranty is not free. Your going to pay for it when you send it to wherever to get fixed for who knows how many weeks. The payment is in the form of lost time on the hard deck. Unless you have an authorized service dealer close that will drop everything he is doing and fix your drill that minute. You will cranking them out by hand again or waiting by the mail box for the drill to return. It sounds to me like guys are starting to figure out the warranty its self doesn't attach to the auger shaft and make a hole to fish from.

Very true.

The problem is a lot of people are trying to use drills that are underpowered for the job at hand. Then complain when it doesn't work.

IMO it is stupid to buy a drill that is just enough to do what you want. When you run anything at its max capacity for a load it is going to give out eventually and be hard/tuff on the components. Hence why you look at specs and make sure that if you are using the product a person isn't always red lining it when using it.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:02 PM »
You just contradicted yourself and sound like a fool. You went to a 7in because you run a ridgid. Well a Milwaukee can and does turn a 8in all day and can do more. .........1200in/lbs to 700in/lbs.....there isn't a comparison.  Let's see get the actual race car with the big motor.....or get the body of a race car with a 4 cylinder in it....LMAO

But, why get the actual race car when you’re only making short trips in town and the 4 cylinder does what you need it to do? If he’s okay with the 7” and it works for him, what’s the actual problem? There are other drills that do what they need them to do, and they aren’t RED, but if they are happy with it, who cares! Not everyone needs a Corvette, a lot of people are happy with a Cruze. It took me a while to decide on a drill (for a 6”), and went with the Ridgid because I simply didn’t need the Milwaukee, and it was cheaper! Would I love to run a Milwaukee? Simply put, yep. I’d love to have a 2704 and a couple 9ah, but looking at it I didn’t need it and I’m a college kid that can’t afford much as it is! If someone would buy me one I’d love it, haha. But in my situation, the Ridgid does the job well and I’m happy. At the end of the day, I love the Ridgid, and that’s what matters!

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I was torn between a Milwaukee or saving money with a rigid for me new 8" orange nils. I bought the new gen5x rigid drill driver with 650inlbs of torque, 2 1.5ah batteries for $129.

Used it yesterday for first time, doesn't strain or slow down at all. It will however be going on a clam plate.

For 8" nuls I think it would Milwaukee for sure. Under 8" the right ridgid is fine.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2018, 01:52 PM »
But, why get the actual race car when you’re only making short trips in town and the 4 cylinder does what you need it to do? If he’s okay with the 7” and it works for him, what’s the actual problem? There are other drills that do what they need them to do, and they aren’t RED, but if they are happy with it, who cares! Not everyone needs a Corvette, a lot of people are happy with a Cruze. It took me a while to decide on a drill (for a 6”), and went with the Ridgid because I simply didn’t need the Milwaukee, and it was cheaper! Would I love to run a Milwaukee? Simply put, yep. I’d love to have a 2704 and a couple 9ah, but looking at it I didn’t need it and I’m a college kid that can’t afford much as it is! If someone would buy me one I’d love it, haha. But in my situation, the Ridgid does the job well and I’m happy. At the end of the day, I love the Ridgid, and that’s what matters!

I don't disagree. However if you look and read the thread the OP is looking for something that will work and take a beating running an 8in auger. He had problems in the past so people pushing and suggest a drill that doesn't fit his needs is the problem. Two drills to my knowledge would fit the Milwaukee and the makita which both have over 1000in/lbs

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:25 AM »
no drill should burn out. no drill should self destruct.
my drills, a 500 inch pound brushed and 780 inch pound brushed cut any thing i have thrown at them fine and never had a problem and does what they are supposed to do and for the rest of my life.

the op wanted a plate, so the ice kicker 2 is perfect. it can turn any ice auger with any reasonable drill.
the op is done with shopping if you read his statement.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Bickering aside, I think lots of folks have been making good points which pretty much mirrors the conversation that has been playing in my head ever since my initial drill rig gave out years ago.

But, why get the actual race car when you’re only making short trips in town and the 4 cylinder does what you need it to do? Not everyone needs a Corvette, a lot of people are happy with a Cruze.

I've used this analogy in other situations before and generally agree. However in this particular case I think I've accepted that I do need a corvette. I'm not looking to downsize my auger, which I think is the driving factor here (pun accepted but unintentional).

no drill should burn out. no drill should self destruct.
my drills, a 500 inch pound brushed and 780 inch pound brushed cut any thing i have thrown at them fine and never had a problem and does what they are supposed to do and for the rest of my life.

I agree with this in spirit but the truth is I don't baby tools. I destroy them all the time. I'm not proud of it but it's just how I am. This is why a good warranty is important to me. That said there are some pieces of equipment I've had that had good support and had companies standing behind the product even when I was maybe pushing things outside what it was designed to do. I don't want to always be wondering if "this is the time it's going to give" and having to go back and forth with repairs.

I've not been a poor college student in some time and thankfully am blessed enough to not really have to hem and haw about the price of this stuff. My priority is a tool I can depend on and am willing to pay a fair price for that. There's also definitely something to be said for not redlining my gear all the time which is why something with excessive performance is attractive to me. The major question mark here though is that a plate or gear reduction is going to  be necessary and also is an "unknown" quantity for me.

After this and other threads I'm leaning more and more to just saving up for a real electric auger. I've heard very few stories of those breaking down and failing in the same way I've heard about for drills. The cost difference once it's all said and done (because I want to use an 8" auger and would buy large replacement batteries) is IMO minimal and the piece of mind that the thing is just going to  work is too good to pass up. I think the ingenuity is amazing but there's too many links in this chain between the different parts, the warranty service, etc.

Thanks to all that have participated here, if I saw a crazy deal on the milwaukee maaaaaybe I'd do it, but I suspect an ION, Razer, or similar is in my future.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:36 AM »
matt i think ultimately, you are marrying some pretty strenuous things together when you begin to use a battery powered drills for ice fishing. 

the power hungry augers and fridgid temperatures make the possibility for issues a reality. 

when fridge shopping, the sales guy told use that our ice maker could last forever or we could very realistically need it repaired within the 3 years of the warranty.   you are introducing a lot of potential issues (water, electricity,  moving parts).

so any unit could fail for any number of  reasons.  to split hairs between brands is quite frankly absurd. 

But there is something to be said for having the right tool for the job.   you could use the 99dollar dewalt on your lazer and fish for years before it craps out, or it might on the first day.   My neighbor towed his boat with an undersized van for YEARS with absolutely no issue, but he eventually bought a truck built more for the job and has the same experience but i believe more piece of mind as well.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Ignorant is not name calling....it simply means you are unknowing.

While ignorant isn't automatically an insult, you certainly used it as one. Get off your high-horse and stop being argumentative, it stops any productive conversation because people simply avoid @$$holes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:33 PM »
While ignorant isn't automatically an insult, you certainly used it as one. Get off your high-horse and stop being argumentative, it stops any productive conversation because people simply avoid @$$holes.

Well, you never know what can offend people. I guess it offended you. It wasn't name calling nor was it used has an insult. I'm not on a high horse and yes I will argue my point with the stats and figures of the drill and situation. An @$$hole IMO is sombody like yourself that is easily offended and resorts to name Calling

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:55 AM »
since your still leaning toward a dedicated auger, don't forget about trophy strike. they are a site sponsor for us also.
i don't blame you for your thinking. some of us just like using what we already have (it was a new concept not that long ago) and don't go out and buy a drill for cutting ice. (i use my construction tools bought in large kit form i have to have any way, so why not use the drill on ice is how i look at it.) this is what i think started the battery operated augers tho. kind of like some of us were making home made jaw jackers and then some one decided to make them commercially soon after they got wind of it.
these guys are doing it right! if you want to buy a dedicated system like you do.

https://www.trophystrike.com/
The new Trophy Strike ice auger is truly revolutionary.  It is the MOST POWERFUL Li-Ion auger on the market.  It features:
•   120v Li-Ion Samsung battery cells
•   High output DC brushless motor
•   2 amp hr battery (240 watt hrs of energy)
•   Patent pending mechanical impact function to speed up drilling
•   Forward and Reverse operation for chip flushing
•   Battery charger (approx 1.5 hr charge time, from empty)
•   Insulated battery bag
•   32” auger and 12” extension
•   25.2 lbs (120v powerhead, 8" auger, 2 amp-hr battery)
•   5 year limited warranty
•   MSRP of $599 (includes all of the above)

more site info for you:
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=345428.msg3674319#msg3674319
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=354995.msg3793141#msg3793141

their replacement blades are cheap at 25$ for 8".

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:24 PM »
  Let's see get the actual race car with the big motor.....or get the body of a race car with a 4 cylinder in it....LMAO

What the heck...this thread is teetering on going completely off the rails so here's a little nudge. 

Using your racecar analogy, you still have to get the power of that big motor to the ground. Locally there are a handful of guys running in a dirt late model class who have open motors (meaning they are unrestricted aluminum small block V8s). Big motor always wins right?  Absolutely wrong. The guy who wins dang near every time he runs at that track has a home built steel motor. Nothing special about it. It puts out less HP than the engines half a dozen other guys have. So what's the difference?  First, talented driver with good but not the best equipment. Second, he knows how to use his stuff. Third, his stuff is reliable. 

Years back when my brother was racing he was dominant in the class he was running....racing against guys who were running big blocks he had a V6. What made that car so good was the way the power curve on that engine was mated to the set-ups we ran....So the horsepower/racecar analogy might not work as well as you think it will. Throw all the torque from a drill you want on an auger with crappy blades and where does it get you? A few weeks back I had my 750 pound Ryobi on a nearby lake. I have it on a 6" flat bladed Eskimo. Blades are sharp and that set up flies through ice. Some guys near by were cranking holes by hand and having a rough go of it. They had a 5 inch Mora.  Drill should handle it just fine...right?  Nope. It was a bear drilling holes when I threw their bit onto my Clam Plate.  After fighting through one hole I looked at the dang thing and those blades were terrible. You couldn't cut pudding with those dang things. I doubt that a big bad 1200 pound Milwaukee would've made much difference. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:57 PM »
What the heck...this thread is teetering on going completely off the rails so here's a little nudge. 

Using your racecar analogy, you still have to get the power of that big motor to the ground. Locally there are a handful of guys running in a dirt late model class who have open motors (meaning they are unrestricted aluminum small block V8s). Big motor always wins right?  Absolutely wrong. The guy who wins dang near every time he runs at that track has a home built steel motor. Nothing special about it. It puts out less HP than the engines half a dozen other guys have. So what's the difference?  First, talented driver with good but not the best equipment. Second, he knows how to use his stuff. Third, his stuff is reliable. 

Years back when my brother was racing he was dominant in the class he was running....racing against guys who were running big blocks he had a V6. What made that car so good was the way the power curve on that engine was mated to the set-ups we ran....So the horsepower/racecar analogy might not work as well as you think it will. Throw all the torque from a drill you want on an auger with crappy blades and where does it get you? A few weeks back I had my 750 pound Ryobi on a nearby lake. I have it on a 6" flat bladed Eskimo. Blades are sharp and that set up flies through ice. Some guys near by were cranking holes by hand and having a rough go of it. They had a 5 inch Mora.  Drill should handle it just fine...right?  Nope. It was a bear drilling holes when I threw their bit onto my Clam Plate.  After fighting through one hole I looked at the dang thing and those blades were terrible. You couldn't cut pudding with those dang things. I doubt that a big bad 1200 pound Milwaukee would've made much difference.

.....I don't think anyone would argue that dull/shot blades won't cut ice.......so what's your point.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:06 PM »

sorry been sick for a few days.  my 8in strikemaster auger was a power auger not a hand auger.  sorry for the confusion. 

Offline FreaknFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2018, 07:53 PM »

If that's the case then why not use a hand auger?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:59 PM »
If that's the case then why not use a hand auger?

I'm guessing he is going to learn from the school of hard knocks......buy right once......or buy twice expensive.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I'm guessing he is going to learn from the school of hard knocks......buy right once......or buy twice expensive.

I agree with the logic, but one flaw for this example..

If his Ridgid turns his auger, and he's happy with the size, he should be set, as long as he registered it for the LSA...

I'd rather have a car that could do 70mph forever, than one that might do 120 for 80,000 miles...

<°)))>{

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:22 PM »
Coming in a little late here but I am wondering if someone can help me out. I just got a Milwaukee Fuel 18v brushless drill with 5.0amp batteries, paired with my 5 inch Mora.  Seemed to work great but a few times the auger got stuck and the drill just clicked..  like the Chuck was slipping. I'm hoping it's just a setting thing. I have it set to 1 and the Chuck on 24... highest it will go. Now, I just saw in a video it needs to be on the drill setting NOT the screw setting.  I think that I may have had wrong. I'll know the next tome I use it I guess. I'm hoping for the best here. I bought the drill on eBay from a tools dealer, brand new. Seemed like a great price but I don't think I can return at this point. Hopefully I won't need to.
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Shake…
Correct, you should be on the drill setting.  That will not allow any sort of ratcheting by the chuck.

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:35 PM »
I appreciate it! Feel a lot better now.  Couldn't figure it out because it's rock solid on the adapter. I figured if the drill needed to stop it would just stop completely without that ratcheting sound. I'm brand new at this and want to make this set last. I noticed that I needed to give a little downpressure to have it bite and then it was fine. I've heard you should pull up intermittently  and clean the slush off while your drilling. Not sure if I should be full throttle either or gently pressing the trigger.any help is appreciated.
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:01 PM »
Not sure if I should be full throttle either or gently pressing the trigger.any help is appreciated.

Pedal to the metal..

Full speed also has the cooling fan running full speed...

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.