Author Topic: Eskimo M43 Mako  (Read 3709 times)

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
Eskimo M43 Mako
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:53 AM »
I need some input on my 5 year old gas auger that's leaking fuel from the gas line grommet. It must also be leaking somewhere else as well. Do I need to order a new tank from Eskimo or Ardisam? Do these parts fix their current problem? I've searched the Internet and seen that this is a problem with their gas tanks and fuel lines.
FraBilKil
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo M43 Mako
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2015, 10:35 AM »
You can get the fuel line, grommet and filter right from Eskimo in a kit....
It's a piss poor design with that grommet setup for sure..but at least the parts are reasonable..

Offline finchasr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:10 AM »
I've got the same auger, also about the same age. Replaced the fuel tank under warranty (leaked). A couple years later the grommet gave out (ethanol). Saw a suggestion somewhere on here to try J B weld on the grommet, which has worked well for me. If you go that route, be sure to use lots on the inch or so of fuel line that comes out of the tank. This year I had cracks in the JB weld that started to leak a bit probably from vibration. I re-did the JB weld at that spot and it seems ok for now. Also, this year I had gas leaking after running the auger. Discovered that priming ( 1-2 times) is causing gas to flow into the air cleaner compartment. I've reduced priming to about half a push until it starts and that seems to have prevented that issue. Anyone out there know why this is occurring all of a sudden?

Stay on top!

finchasr

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies motoX269 & finchasr. I've ordered the replacement tank kit. I might attempt the jb weld as a temporary fix. Need it this week as ice here is ~12"es and I'm on mid-winter recess from school.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2015, 04:18 PM »
You may have the tank by this weekend....Not overly happy with Eskimo right now but they got me a part for my Propane auger to my door in 4 days..So you may get it Thursday..
Eskimo does have a good setup for ordering parts and the parts are reasonable....Would like to be able to get engine internals but will cross that bridge when I come to it..

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Received the Eskimo replacement tank kit via FedEx today.  $40+ including shipping.  Bit of a pain removing the old one and installing the new one, especially in my cold garage.  I'll gas it up tomorrow and try to fire it up.  I've had it running already this year, when I discovered the leak(s).  I use ethanol-free gas and STA-BIL Marine Formula.  Just in time, as the ice was ~14"es thick yesterday on Chautauqua Lake.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Bringing this little ditty back to life. Today I went ice fishing and was leaking gas like a mad man. Should I order the fuel line kit that has the grommet or a whole new fuel tank kit? By the way the fishing was great.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2017, 12:33 PM »
Bringing this little ditty back to life. Today I went ice fishing and was leaking gas like a mad man. Should I order the fuel line kit that has the grommet or a whole new fuel tank kit? By the way the fishing was great.

Man...me and you both. Same Eskimo M43 Mako.

I replaced my fuel line this fall since it was leaking and had the auger out for the first time last weekend. It started right away, but then wouldnt start after that. I think I probably flooded it, eventually got it started again, but gas was leaking from somewhere, it didn't look like it was coming from the fuel line. One of the posts in this thread implied the root cause for my issue was priming it too much. I'm going to watch it next time I go out. I'm now strictly using VP pre mix fuel, non ethanol.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2017, 02:06 PM »

I replaced my fuel line this fall since it was leaking and had the auger out for the first time last weekend. It started right away, but then wouldnt start after that. I think I probably flooded it, eventually got it started again, but gas was leaking from somewhere, it didn't look like it was coming from the fuel line. One of the posts in this thread implied the root cause for my issue was priming it too much. I'm going to watch it next time I go out. I'm now strictly using VP pre mix fuel, non ethanol.

One cause of "leaking" fuel with Eskimo gas augers is priming with the choke on.  If you take the airbox cover and air filter off your auger, you'll see the that the priming fuel line is clamped right at the carb opening.  But the sliding choke blade is UNDER it, so repeated priming with the choke on deflects the prime back into the air filter, where it eventually drips out the bottom of the airbox. 

Always prime with the choke off.  Also, check the priming fuel line to ensure it's positioned correctly to spray the prime into the carb throat.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2018, 02:16 PM »
One cause of "leaking" fuel with Eskimo gas augers is priming with the choke on.  If you take the airbox cover and air filter off your auger, you'll see the that the priming fuel line is clamped right at the carb opening.  But the sliding choke blade is UNDER it, so repeated priming with the choke on deflects the prime back into the air filter, where it eventually drips out the bottom of the airbox. 

Always prime with the choke off.  Also, check the priming fuel line to ensure it's positioned correctly to spray the prime into the carb throat.

Tight lines,
Bob

Good to know!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:22 PM »

How many times did you prime it? Mine takes one prime to start first thing, then it's usually good to go for the rest of the day. Sometimes if its real cold or windy I will have to give it one prime again to restart it throughout the day. Have never primed my auger more than once, other than when i run it out of gas. Starts on 1 pull almost every time, unless I need to prime.. then of course 2 pulls. I pick the auger up out of the sled or off the ice and give it a pull, with the choke to RUN. If it doesn't start then I give it one prime and pull again, it always starts on that pull. This should be the 4th or 5th season for it without an issue. Heck even after sitting a month in the off season (i start it once a month year around), it starts with one prime and one pull.

I see guys drill a couple holes and set the auger down, then pick it back up and prime it 3-4 times and pull it 10-15 times to get it to sputter again.. I want to yell to them that they are flooding it every time.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.