Author Topic: Soft plastic skimmer?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Soft plastic skimmer?
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I have a very nice Jiffy brand skimmer with a long handle and chisel built in.  Problem is, it freezes up quickly.  I've heard guys mention that they prefer a soft plastic skimmer that you can simply bend or squeeze to remove the ice build-up.

Are you using one of these?  Do you like it?  What brand?

Thanks for any info,
Bob

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Soft plastic skimmer?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:31 AM »
suggest one with an aluminum handle ..I marked mine with 6" 9" 12" marks...I also use one with a more ridged scoop and a chipper ...not certain of the brand though.

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/accessories/ht-enterprises-poly-skimmer-w-aluminum-handle?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImLXhvc6-2AIVlR2BCh0scAXXEAYYASABEgIy7fD_BwE
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Also check out Sportsmen's Direct, they make 2 with a thick rubber skimmer with an alluminum handle that are virtually indestructible. I have both sizes and love them. www.sportsmensdirect.c om
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:06 AM »
suggest one with an aluminum handle ..I marked mine with 6" 9" 12" marks...I also use one with a more ridged scoop and a chipper ...not certain of the brand though.

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/accessories/ht-enterprises-poly-skimmer-w-aluminum-handle?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImLXhvc6-2AIVlR2BCh0scAXXEAYYASABEgIy7fD_BwE
Been using one of these for years!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Thanks, gentlemen.  I appreciate your input and have a new, soft plastic skimmer ordered.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Thanks, gentlemen.  I appreciate your input and have a new, soft plastic skimmer ordered.

Tight lines,
Bob

Which one did you choose ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:07 AM »
I ordered the HWI Lifetime Skimmer https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/hwi-lifetime-skimmer/ and will also pick up an HT skimmer in one of the local shops.  So, I'll have one of each for this season.  (Always have a back-up!  One is none; two is one...)  These skimmers will be a LOT lighter than the big steel Jiffy I'm lugging around now.

Thanks again,
Bob

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:29 AM »
Yes, plastic that will bend to break the ice...ftw!
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Also check out Sportsmen's Direct, they make 2 with a thick rubber skimmer with an alluminum handle that are virtually indestructible. I have both sizes and love them. www.sportsmensdirect.c om

I got this skimmer (and an HT) and love it!  I think it is well worth the money.  Thanks for the tip.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I got this skimmer (and an HT) and love it!  I think it is well worth the money.  Thanks for the tip.

Tight lines,
Bob
Good deal! I love mine too but keep it close so your friends don't walk off with it lol!
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Good deal! I love mine too but keep it close so your friends don't walk off with it lol!

I was fishing today and while clearing holes, I wondered to myself why I didn't find a great skimmer like that a l-o-n-g time ago.  It's perfect.  No more trying to bang the ice off the heavy steel skimmer I used for years.  Thanks for the tip!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Little Dipper best ever

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:15 PM »

That "lifetime" skimmer didn't last me very long...  Today, I was unhooking a lake trout and he somehow flipped up, curled his tail down right into the scoop of the skimmer and forced it down the hole!   I just ordered another one!  =:-0

I sure wish they made an 8" version.  I'd get one of those too.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:26 AM »
I have a Deep Freeze One Shot that I love…until it freezes over. The soft plastic scoop seems to be the only solution. Can you use a 6” scoop in a 6” hole?

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:34 AM »
I have a Deep Freeze One Shot that I love…until it freezes over. The soft plastic scoop seems to be the only solution. Can you use a 6” scoop in a 6” hole?

The skimmer I lost yesterday was the HWI Lifetime Skimmer.  It was the 6" model and I was using it in holes made by my 6" Fin-Bore III auger.  Perfect. 

There are other plastic skimmers that are less expensive, but this one is really nice.  The very sturdy aluminum handle goes under the scoop and projects a tiny bit on the opposite edge, allowing you to do some light chipping with it.  Also, the edges of the handle shaft are left very sharp and that comes in very handy to scrape the top, inside edges of holes when you're clearing them.  The length markings on the handle are very easy to read. 

This really is my favorite skimmer in 40+ years of ice fishing.

Tight ines,
Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.