Author Topic: Maybe by the weekend???  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Maybe by the weekend???
« on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:01 PM »
Looks like we could have some ice over the next few days with these cold nights and cool days forecasted.

If we do, who's going out and where?
My mission is goin' fishin'.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Maybe by the weekend???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:41 PM »
There will almost certainly be fishable ice somewhere. I scoped out ole reliable yesterday after work. Wind was howling. Temperature was 45 degrees. The ice sheet, though deteriorated and unsafe, was still there hanging tough. If past history is any indication, we all know that I'm brazen enough to try. I'm planning on some test holes friday afternoon.
There is reasonable likelyhood of the south bay on channel lake getting there. Although yesterday it was nearly wide open. Nielsen's channels and the T channel might be okay by then. Supposed to get down to 9 degrees on the stateline tonight. I remain optimistic.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:41 AM »
A little update here. South bay of channel is skimmed over but does not appear to be safe at the moment. The few days of 50s and all the rain warmed the water up quite a bit so the refreeze is slow. I still plan on scouting Friday but the outlook isnt as good as I had hoped.

On a side note anyone been on here long enough to remember when this place wasnt a ghost town. Feel like I'm talking to myslef.

Offline IlliniIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:29 AM »
not much to talk about when there aint no ice  >:(
dont know how many times i have went through my gear. all combos have new line, swapped out jigs a couple times after picking up new ones
sled, auger, tent, spud, buckets, etc. sitting in the garage ready to go
dont think there will be fishable ice in WC IL for 2-3 weeks at the earliest, hopefully in february?

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Think it will be Feb before ice is safe in my area as we have nothing now.  If you do get ice in your area and you give it a go Be Safe

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:23 PM »
not much to talk about when there aint no ice  >:(
dont know how many times i have went through my gear. all combos have new line, swapped out jigs a couple times after picking up new ones
sled, auger, tent, spud, buckets, etc. sitting in the garage ready to go
dont think there will be fishable ice in WC IL for 2-3 weeks at the earliest, hopefully in february?
That may not happen if the weather keeps up. May warm back up in a week. Is there alot of ice fishing opportunity available in central IL ?

Offline ufflmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:30 PM »
I'm in Central Illinois. The Canton area. We will be LUCKY to be on the ice in early February. I'm starting to think we might not even have safe ice this year. I think November was colder than December and January!

Offline ufflmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Another big bummer. I talked to Nate Herman from Herman brothers and they has it scheduled w/ Doug Stange and another editor at In fisherman to do a ice fishing show at their Giant Goose Ranch property January 14-16 and it had to be moved.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:01 AM »
i'm going to run around this afternoon and chekc out a few holes.  i doubt its good but we'll see.  wedn and thurs here was 80% under 20 degrees.  while not the big ice maker days, it could be enough to give someone 2" of ice

Offline IlliniIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:11 AM »
... Is there alot of ice fishing opportunity available in central IL ?

i fish all private spots, usually get on the ice as much as i want most years. think i went around a dozen times last year but only got on my two best spots, which are larger pond/lakes, a few times each
makes a big difference being 50 miles south of the QC and I80. a fews years back there was not enough ice at all for me, a couple years before that i was hand-drilling through 20 inches plus
last year first trip was 12/27/17, went 1/20/18 lots of nice gills and crappies on 4" but sun was out and it was melting fast so i bailed around noon and had to jump to shore across open water. got back out a few more times in mid-feb on a small pond that had 3-4"
but down this way, if it's a bad year for ice fishing its usually a good year for walleye fishing on the rivers  @)

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Here in Crystal Lake the little ponds are fully closed again.  It was pretty cold the last couple nights and no wind to break up the forming ice.  It's really smooth and really clear...but really thin.

I broke out the gear yesterday in hopes of some good ice soon.  I loaned some tip ups, hole covers and some other gear to a guy who works for me so he can take his son fishing up in WI, so going through the gear produced one positive result already - a dad and son spending time together fishing.  Gotta take what we can get this year I guess.

Anybody who finds good ice and wants a partner, let me know.  I have a super flexible schedule and don't really care what day of the week or time of the day.  Feel free to PM me to exchange contact info if you're interested.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:09 AM »
I'm in Central Illinois. The Canton area. We will be LUCKY to be on the ice in early February. I'm starting to think we might not even have safe ice this year. I think November was colder than December and January!
I'm in Galesburg area and totally agree

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Here in Crystal Lake the little ponds are fully closed again.  It was pretty cold the last couple nights and no wind to break up the forming ice.  It's really smooth and really clear...but really thin.

I broke out the gear yesterday in hopes of some good ice soon.  I loaned some tip ups, hole covers and some other gear to a guy who works for me so he can take his son fishing up in WI, so going through the gear produced one positive result already - a dad and son spending time together fishing.  Gotta take what we can get this year I guess.

Anybody who finds good ice and wants a partner, let me know.  I have a super flexible schedule and don't really care what day of the week or time of the day.  Feel free to PM me to exchange contact info if you're interested.

I'll let you know. I will probably be checking the ice in a couple spots around 4pm. I checked yesterday after work. Tuesday the water near shore was open. Couldnt get on the ice. Yesterday there was 1.5" there. I should be able to get on the ice today. I dont know how thick the main slab will be until I get on it.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:59 PM »
On the Wisconsin stateline in protected areas there is up to 2" of new ice growth. I found an area with 3-4" but there are several spots with only 2" that were open a few days ago. If anybody decides to go out use caution. The forecasted snow has the potential to hide a lot of bad ice

Offline Triggerbof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Central, Il near Bloomington- its my fault there is no ice, guys- I'm sorry.  After spending last year dragging a toy sled around, with my Striker transponder off my boat, I built a smitty sled, and got the ice fishing transponder for my sonar. It warmed up as soon as I was ready to go...

I was thinking about building/buying a flipover, but I'm afraid if I do, we'll never see safe ice here again. 

May have to visit the wife's family near Crystal Lake, or reconnect with some distant cousins in Hayward, Wi.   

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Central, Il near Bloomington- its my fault there is no ice, guys- I'm sorry.  After spending last year dragging a toy sled around, with my Striker transponder off my boat, I built a smitty sled, and got the ice fishing transponder for my sonar. It warmed up as soon as I was ready to go...

I was thinking about building/buying a flipover, but I'm afraid if I do, we'll never see safe ice here again. 

May have to visit the wife's family near Crystal Lake, or reconnect with some distant cousins in Hayward, Wi.   
Thanks alot :%$#!:

Offline IlliniIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:25 AM »
you guys see the 10-day forecast?
lows 4, 5, 8 next saturday, sunday, monday with highs around 20  ;D :tipup:

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:40 AM »

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Nothing but open water in Iroquois county,waiting on willow slough,snow really put a damper on things time will tell??

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:54 PM »
got 2" on a few ponds in northern kankakee county. it's sketchy at best tho, some nice overnight lows coming this weekend, but so is more snow.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Gotta hope the snow passes us over or we're going to have little growth in the ice and a wasted cold front.  Come on, ice...let's do this.  :tipup:

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:14 AM »
spots i could check by dock were 1" of slush sandwiched between 2 slabs of 1" of ice.  not good.  as long as the snow continues to get less and less for the weekend, i think we'll be good for next week.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Think this weather is going to make ice for us finally :clap:

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2019, 01:56 PM »
I'm headed out tomorrow. Don't know where yet but if anyone wants to go or has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2019, 04:28 PM »
I'm dying to get, too. The lakes by my house look sketchy, though. Lots of wet spots in the snow.
I'm headed out tomorrow. Don't know where yet but if anyone wants to go or has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I'm dying to get, too. The lakes by my house look sketchy, though. Lots of wet spots in the snow.

The usual suspects for early ice on the chain are okay. Ive seen people out on some spots. Pains me to say that in the middle of January. We should have 10-12" minimum.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:01 PM »
What are the usual suspects? I haven't ice fished the Chain in 25? years!
The usual suspects for early ice on the chain are okay. Ive seen people out on some spots. Pains me to say that in the middle of January. We should have 10-12" minimum.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Same here. It's crusty snow then water then 1-2” of good ice. Two larger local lakes are still more than half open. Headed north...

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Just south of the Wisconsin border the ice was still super sketchy. 1.5-2" black ice at 6ft depth with slush on top of that and snow over the top. As soon as you drill a hole the water rushes out because so much weight is on top of the ice. I drilled two for my flip house and they connected as soon as I pulled the auger on the second one. Just be super careful and spud your way around because you can't see what's under the snow. Tight lines. Be careful.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Just south of the Wisconsin border the ice was still super sketchy. 1.5-2" black ice at 6ft depth with slush on top of that and snow over the top. As soon as you drill a hole the water rushes out because so much weight is on top of the ice. I drilled two for my flip house and they connected as soon as I pulled the auger on the second one. Just be super careful and spud your way around because you can't see what's under the snow. Tight lines. Be careful.

That makes sense. The freeze line separating the old ice with the new ice was only about 75 yards out. Probably at around 3ft of water. Supposed to be -7 out tonight so it will likely be safe a little further out by Tuesday even with the snow cover. Should be able to do some real ice fishing next weekend !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.