The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Champlain whites  (Read 44731 times)

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Champlain whites
« Reply #180 on: Mar 25, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Yes, it was a good time.  It was great to meet you, NHHardwater and CBIce!  Didn't know Light Liner was out there, as well. 

As usual, Perchbait outfished me by over 2:1.  He had the "secret" bait this time, I guess.  I changed things up a few times but they seemed pretty tight-lipped.  Still a great day on the ice.  We sold ~2 buckets of whites and we brought home a FULL bucket to clean.  About 1hr of cleaning and we had a nice pile of fillets for the freezer. 

I was hoping the cold nights the next few days would keep the ice firmed up, but this bright sun is going to do a number on it.  We could tell the difference in how the auger behaved yesterday between drilling holes in the morning vs afternoon.  Still over a foot of ice, but it's getting punky.  That's Ok ... I'm ready to get the boat out!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #181 on: Mar 25, 2019, 02:32 PM »
What did you get for the bucket?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #182 on: Mar 25, 2019, 02:36 PM »
The guy in St. A was buying them for .40/pound for large (9.5" +) and .20/pound for smalls (8.5-9.5").  We got $15 for a little over 1.5 buckets-worth, or so.  We brought home all of the shorts (<8.5") and, like I said, had a very full bucket to clean.  I think those are the better tasting fish, anyway!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #183 on: Mar 25, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Nice! I was gonna go for them Sunday but went and fished crappie instead
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:36 PM »
how was your crappie fishing trip ice fiend?

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #185 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:06 AM »
Nice, you where in the otter right behind me i was in the Eskimo inferno. did little over 35lbs for the 3.5-4 hours i was there.

Was out there Sunday with the Circus. What a great day to burn my face off.  :%$#!:
Such a great time seeing 573 people all yanking jig rods all day.
My haul was about 80lbs

Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:10 AM »
Yesterday from 3-6 was a dead zone all over.   :-\

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #187 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Yesterday from 3-6 was a dead zone all over.   :-\
Hard to believe that there could be thousands of fish in there one day and then nothing the next. They are still around some where. I think it helps having a QUIET circus out there to keep the school in one place. My Dad and I were fishing in the middle of the pack and had fish beneath us for most of the day. Somedays they are much more sensitive to commotion on the ice than others, that's for sure!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #188 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Nice, you where in the otter right behind me i was in the Eskimo inferno. did little over 35lbs for the 3.5-4 hours i was there.

I wasn't in the Otter, that was my buddy and his son, but yes I was right there next to you guys. Didnt realize that was you, Smelty.
Chasing Ice

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #189 on: Mar 26, 2019, 12:56 PM »
Yes, it was a good time.  It was great to me you, NHHardwater and CBIce!  Didn't know Light Liner was out there, as well. 

As usual, Perchbait outfished me by over 2:1.  He had the "secret" bait this time, I guess.  I changed things up a few times but they seemed pretty tight-lipped.  Still a great day on the ice.  We sold ~2 buckets of whites and we brought home a FULL bucket to clean.  About 1hr of cleaning and we had a nice pile of fillets for the freezer. 

I was hoping the cold nights the next few days would keep the ice firmed up, but this bright sun is going to do a number on it.  We could tell the difference in how the auger behaved yesterday between drilling holes in the morning vs afternoon.  Still over a foot of ice, but it's getting punky.  That's Ok ... I'm ready to get the boat out!

I think half of us on the forum was out there Sunday..LoL.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Pickerelslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:39 PM »
They were still there today in good numbers, I saw many people pulling em up non stop. The size we were catching weren’t running as big as last week but still had fun. I filled a 5gal pail and the other two fishing next to me did over half each. Some of the other guys were doing better with their electronics but I don’t have that, maybe next year.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #191 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:47 PM »
If its good Saturday I may take the short 4 hour ride up with my girl.  I am interested in what these schools look like on panoptix.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #192 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:09 PM »
I am interested in what these schools look like on panoptix.
I was wondering about that as well! Not sure if Panoptix would play nicely with other sonar units though, interference wise. My garmin unit was picking up a lot of chatter with all the transducers in the water last weekend! Good luck and stay safe if you make the trip up.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:18 AM »
They were still there today in good numbers, I saw many people pulling em up non stop. The size we were catching weren’t running as big as last week but still had fun. I filled a 5gal pail and the other two fishing next to me did over half each. Some of the other guys were doing better with their electronics but I don’t have that, maybe next year.

Just curious what time you were there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #194 on: Mar 27, 2019, 02:40 PM »
I was wondering about that as well! Not sure if Panoptix would play nicely with other sonar units though, interference wise. My garmin unit was picking up a lot of chatter with all the transducers in the water last weekend! Good luck and stay safe if you make the trip up.

It does not pick up interference even fishing in a sea of vexilars.

Offline Pickerelslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Mar 27, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Just curious what time you were there.
koissu- we were there from about 845-noon. The first 2 sets of holes we drilled produced pretty well for a while then we had to move around a little bit. We’re you out there? We were the 2 guys just beyond the group and invited a third guy who was hunting around with little luck to fish with us. He ended up doing decent too.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:17 PM »
koissu- we were there from about 845-noon. The first 2 sets of holes we drilled produced pretty well for a while then we had to move around a little bit. We’re you out there? We were the 2 guys just beyond the group and invited a third guy who was hunting around with little luck to fish with us. He ended up doing decent too.

Nope! I tend to have better luck in the morning there, so I was curious. I went out today in the afternoon. A guy I met last time and pulled him over to fish with me was leaving, and guided me straight to his spot where he had filled a few buckets throughout the morning. We were there for about 2.5 hours right on top of a school but man they were not biting. I tried a lot of different lures and you could see them on the screen following up and down and not biting. But they were there the whole time. Nothing like the constant action last time. My last fish was just over 13" so I did manage a master angler which is why I went back. This is actually it for me this season!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #197 on: Mar 27, 2019, 09:38 PM »
how was your crappie fishing trip ice fiend?
I ended up with 8lbs of crappie and 26 pounds of seeds
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:35 AM »
Wow, nice haul, Ice Fiend!  Glad you were able to get out.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:39 AM »
Anyone have a status update on the ice at killkare to hathaway?

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:58 AM »
Anyone have a status update on the ice at killkare to hathaway?

It was fine yesterday afternoon. Still a foot of ice.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #201 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Really hoping to get out there Saturday morning if the ice is still looking decent.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:29 AM »
It was fine yesterday afternoon. Still a foot of ice.

edges soft or stilling holding up?

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:34 AM »
edges soft or stilling holding up?

Bit mushy just near the launch for 10ft or so but didn’t need a plank or anything

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #204 on: Mar 28, 2019, 09:06 AM »
This thread officially has the most replies out of any other post on the Ice Fishing Vermont page. Just goes to show how much we love/loathe white perch! Good luck to those targeting them in the next few days. Stay dry!

Offline Sacospinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Mar 28, 2019, 11:07 AM »
Went out yesterday from 3 to 6 and easily filled a bucket and a half. Some very nice people donated some more that they didn't have room for in their buckets so I ended up with 12 gallons total. There is still 12" of ice but the pressure crack looked sketchy. I was certainly not going to walk over and take a closer look. That was my last time out for the year but what a great way to end the hard water season!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #206 on: Mar 28, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Really hoping to get out there Saturday morning if the ice is still looking decent.

x2
Chasing Ice

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #207 on: Mar 29, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Just got back into VT. I was hoping to try my luck at em tomorrow 3/30. How’s the ice & are y’all finding them in St albans or inland bays.

Thanks

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #208 on: Mar 29, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Just got back into VT. I was hoping to try my luck at em tomorrow 3/30. How’s the ice & are y’all finding them in St albans or inland bays.

Thanks

Too Late. We Caught em all!  ;D

they were in St A last weekend
Chasing Ice

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Mar 29, 2019, 07:18 PM »
I’ll be out there in the morning. Hope they are hungry before the wind picks up!

Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.