Author Topic: 2 man hub suggestions?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
2 man hub suggestions?
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Im looking to get a 2 man hub, just something that i can use for a quick setup for me so i dont have to use the big 6 man popup i have, what would be one that i could just haul in a sled, preferably insulated, and not costing more than 250 if possible, just looking for suggestions and which ones to stay away from.
~Good Luck~

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2 man hub suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Get the Shappell FX200,,, Very easy set up, big tub for "stuff", I put downhill skis on bottom for towing, loading and unloading,,, Price for new will be in that $300 range for non insulated.
majic

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Get the best there is in hubs right now:

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/otter-xth-pro-cabin/

You should be able to find it for under $250 in a store somewhere as the Lodge goes for $279 when on sale.

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Get the Shappell FX200,,, Very easy set up, big tub for "stuff", I put downhill skis on bottom for towing, loading and unloading,,, Price for new will be in that $300 range for non insulated.

Currently looking for a popup hub style but i might consider getting that if i have a change of heart and decide i dont mind having a flip over, my main reaon for wanting a hub style is the weight and currently i do not have a pickup truck, i drive a newer minivan so i dont want to get the back area wet or scrape the paint on the bumper, im going to hopefully buy a beater truck this summer so i can have something to take fishing
~Good Luck~

Offline HammerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:40 AM »
I picked up a Frabill Bunker 250 at the end of the season last year for half price and free shipping from Dick's Sporting goods. Been using it exclusively this year and just sold my older 2-man Frabill flip over that hadn't left the garage yet. Lots of room. 6ft" tall in the center (I'm 6'1" so not hitting my head like in the flip over is a big plus). Been very impressed so far with the durability as I haven't been delicate when setting up/putting it away. But if you go with a hub - make sure to go thermal insulated - much quieter in the wind and holds the heat so much better, at least here in frigid South Dakota.

http://www.frabill.com/ice-fishing/ice-shelters/bunker-250.html

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:51 AM »
I'm on season 4 or 5 with my Clam Bigfoot XL4000T. Flawless.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Caveman
I have the Eskimo 949I that is insulated and weighs only 41lbs. Have used it for 5 seasons through some of the stiffest winds you can imagine with no problems. They have made some design improvements since i purchased mine and i have made some of my own mods to suit our needs. I dont think you will go wrong with an Eskimo product. This is definitely the time of the season to look for a reduced price on in stock models.
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:22 AM »
x2 on the Eskimo 949I

I just got the 949i, and I’m very happy with the purchase. Easy to set-up, very warm, and the perfect size for two guys and gear. I actually left the hub set-up on the ice for 3 days last week, no problems with the wind, and it was a fantastic shack.

Now, the bad….
The bag is garbage (really only useful for off season storage)
It is bulky and heavy (comes with the territory with an insulated hub of that size)

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:52 AM »
I have the Eskimo quickfish 3i and love it.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Otter XTH Pro thermal hub, I have a lodge but you want the cottage (smaller). Very nice quality and best service in the industry.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I have the Eskimo quickfish 3i and love it.

+1

Best part is, you can find them cheap since the Fatfish line came out.  I got mine for $199, shipped.  As others have mentioned about the Eskimo shelters, the carry bag sucks, but other than that, I think mine is wonderful.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Otter XTH Pro thermal hub, I have a lodge but you want the cottage (smaller). Very nice quality and best service in the industry.

Agreed, they will not question you if warranty issues arise, the bag is awesome and bigger than the shelter so no issue packing it up in -20 and the shelter is awesome. The only decision is what size you want. Well worth the few extra bucks over the Eskimo.

Offline HammerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I agree on the Otter bag being nice - a buddy I fish with and he can pack it up very easily. The Frabill bag sucks as much as the Eskimo - good luck trying to stuff a damp, half-frozen shelter into the tube of a backpack bag in the wind and cold.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:33 PM »
X2 on Clam XL4000T now known as the Clam Thermal Ice Refuge.  Good bag, well constructed, roomy and warm.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:55 PM »
I agree on the Otter bag being nice - a buddy I fish with and he can pack it up very easily. The Frabill bag sucks as much as the Eskimo - good luck trying to stuff a damp, half-frozen shelter into the tube of a backpack bag in the wind and cold.

I don't think getting the shelter back in the bag is that big a hassle, but the bag certainly could be designed to make it easier.  My biggest problem with the bag is the "backpack straps."  Right out of the box, mine started to rip out when I tried backpacking the shelter around in the yard.  I may bring the bag to my local boat cover guy and have him reinforce the strap arrangement.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:14 PM »
Flip-overs are the best in my opinion for quick moves, no tear down, no bag to stuff and don't have to fight the wind pulling a set-up hut over the ice.  Look at what most of the tournament guys use.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:09 AM »
If you can get your hands on a Clam Twin Hub, it might suit your needs.  Its about the smallest (lightest) and easiest to setup and take down.  And it would come in way under the budget. 

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:10 AM »
Another Otter XTH Pro lover here.  I have the Resort and a buddy has the Lodge, and they're both great. 

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:48 AM »
I have had the Clam 4000 XLT Thermal Bigfoot for 5 years now.  No issues with this unit.  Size is 8'x8' and has plenty of room for 2-3 guys with all the gear.  If you are looking to fish this for 2 guys, you will have enough room to move around.  All the vendors say that you can put 4-6 guys in there, but they don't mention the area needed for heaters, chairs etc.  Went to a few shows this year and walked into the new Ice Refuge.  Love the black color and the new fabric. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I have had the Clam 4000 XLT Thermal Bigfoot for 5 years now.  No issues with this unit.  Size is 8'x8' and has plenty of room for 2-3 guys with all the gear.  If you are looking to fish this for 2 guys, you will have enough room to move around.  All the vendors say that you can put 4-6 guys in there, but they don't mention the area needed for heaters, chairs etc.  Went to a few shows this year and walked into the new Ice Refuge.  Love the black color and the new fabric.

I agree. The 4-5 person hubs are comfy with room for equipment for 2. Not sure how 4-5 guys would have much room. The shanties rated for 2 people make it very tough to stand or move around when you actually bring equipment and 2 people.

If you like even a little bit of comfort go with something for 4 when shopping for 2.

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:21 AM »
If you can get your hands on a Clam Twin Hub, it might suit your needs.  Its about the smallest (lightest) and easiest to setup and take down.  And it would come in way under the budget.

How easy is that to set up?, and since im 6'1, how tall is it?, and would i be able to fit 2 men and 2 holes each in their?
~Good Luck~

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:46 AM »
 :o Wow! Just watched you tube vid of a guy setting up that Clam Twin Hub inside on a concrete floor. I believe that on the ice with even a slight breeze it would be a horrifying experience at best!

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:49 AM »
:o Wow! Just watched you tube vid of a guy setting up that Clam Twin Hub inside on a concrete floor. I believe that on the ice with even a slight breeze it would be a horrifying experience at best!

i just watched a video on it too, i dont think it would be that bad if you were to take a ratchet strap and  strap the first pop out part to your pickup right away
~Good Luck~

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:57 AM »
 :thumbsup: Good idea! Only problem my pickup is on terra firma! Seriously though, I do set up in the wind sometimes (QF-3) and the Eskimo anchors with cam straps work great!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:08 AM »
How easy is that to set up?, and since im 6'1, how tall is it?, and would i be able to fit 2 men and 2 holes each in their?

I have not setup the twin hubs.  Seems like it would take a little more time.  With the Bigfoot - it takes about a minute to setup.  Inside height is at the center is 82", and around the edges is over 6'.  If you are looking at a setup for 2 guys and 2 holes each - you will have plenty of room for this with the normal Bigfoot setup.  If you are like some guys in the videos who bring in a ton of equipment, then the twin hubs might be more your style.  With what you are saying - I think you can get by with the single styles - Clam, Otter Eskimo.  As long as they have the square footage around the 64 sqft, you should be good. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Love my Eskimo 767 pop up for 2-3 people. It is insulated, light, easy to fit in my sedan, and is often on sale for around $250.

For me, my dad, 3-4 holes, flasher, heater, lantern, cooler, and a couple rod bags, it is perfect.

Only have the Medium size buddy heaters and we have been toasty at -20F.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:25 AM »
QF3i is perfect size for one man and a little bit of gear, good enough size for two as well.

Offline HammerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2018, 02:35 PM »

I always try to put an ice anchor in first in 1 corner of the shack. That holds it while I pop out the rest of the sides. If it's that windy, you're going to want to put an anchor/rope to the side of the hub wall anyway. You can also lightly stand on the skirt to help in getting the sides popped out, at least that's how I do it.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:34 AM »

It couldn't be easier to set up.  Pop out one hub then the other, and its set up.  I won't even take a pop up out of the bag without first putting an anchor in the ice - seen too many shenanigans with guys chasing huts across the lake.

I'ts got a fair amount of head room  - I think its 7' at the peek, and its 7'x7' at the floor.  You can definitely fish two guys with two holes, but space for all the other stuff is a bit limited. 

One of the trade offs to make it so light is that it doesn't have the black coating on the material inside so it it stays pretty bright in there, which can be a problem if you're in to sight fishing.   

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:25 PM »

It couldn't be easier to set up.  Pop out one hub then the other, and its set up.  I won't even take a pop up out of the bag without first putting an anchor in the ice - seen too many shenanigans with guys chasing huts across the lake.

I'ts got a fair amount of head room  - I think its 7' at the peek, and its 7'x7' at the floor.  You can definitely fish two guys with two holes, but space for all the other stuff is a bit limited. 

One of the trade offs to make it so light is that it doesn't have the black coating on the material inside so it it stays pretty bright in there, which can be a problem if you're in to sight fishing.

not too into sight fishing but i havent been able to find them online anywhere, does clam still make these or did they stop?, and is there anything somewhet like it if they stopped making it
~Good Luck~

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.