Author Topic: Snowmobile vs 4 Wheeler which is better  (Read 3540 times)

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowmobile vs 4 Wheeler which is better
« on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Ok folks I am asking for any and all input.  I bought a sled to use just for ice fishing. It's an old Yamaha phazer II.  Runs great etc.  However, the track has only like 3/4" lugs. I put carbide screw studs in the lugs to help for traction, however, it didn't help to much.  I was getting stuck in 8" of snow over glare ice.  So my question to you all is do I keep the sled and get a better track and pick it (the max height picks would be 1-1 1/4") or go with a four wheeler with studs and chained tires?  Thanks
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline Prairie Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Snowmobile vs 4 Wheeler which is better
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I would keep the sled for deep snow and use the ATV with chains when you can.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:17 AM »
If u can do it I would go with an atv with tracks.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Should add your location to your profile .Each has vehicle has its time and place based on your areas condition.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Snowmobiles might be nice in deep snow, but I have a 5’ snow blade for my 4 wheeler, and use it deer hunting also, and can use it all summer, some guys have both.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:40 AM »
I have both, a 2002 ski-doo legend 500, and a 2001 honda Rubicon 500 with chains on all 4 corners. I will say they both have thier time and place. The Honda is by far better at pulling heavy loads on bare ice, or loose snow over ice. Once the snow gets over 10-12" deep though the ski-doo takes over. It floats on top of the snow and stays out of the slush most of the time. It can't pull like the quad though so its more for moving my 2 man around or making multiple trips if taking out a big party. Deeper lugs and push through studs would help your phazer, but a new studded track might exceed the value of your phazer. Picking up a chained quad would be more useable most of the time untill the snow gets deep. If you want the best of both worlds a tracked wheeler. or wide track sled like a skandic, or bearcat would be ideal but gonna cost you some $$$.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:02 AM »
No perfect machine for all conditions when ice fishing, unless you get an Argo with tracks and ice cleats.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:10 AM »
No perfect machine for all conditions when ice fishing, unless you get an Argo with tracks and ice cleats.
.     They are nice, but no suspension, if going far on rough ice will beat u to death !!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Does the old Phazer have metal skis?  I've had better luck in those conditions with composite skis or skins.

As noted, no perfect vehicle.  I used to think ATV with tracks was it, but not so sure anymore.  As for me, I'm sticking with the snowmobiles (air cooled), based on the most common conditions where I fish most often.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:00 PM »
I use both snowmobiles and atvs, and they both have advantages and drawbacks. Atvs load easier and are better on glare ice or little snow. The RIGHT snowmobile is great in deep powder and safer on the ice due to less average weight and a larger contact area the weight is spread out over on the ice vs an atv without tracks (maybe even with tracks too, I havent measured). Pressure ridges and edges are also safer to navigate across on a sled, as you have less of a chance of breaking through those weak areas when hit with a little speed. I have also seen sleds skim across the water with enough speed, I wouldn't recommend this on a wheeler at any speed. My sleds (700 & 800 rmks) will tow an otter magnum with hyfax fully loaded with 200+ lbs of gear, me (190lbs) and my dog(50lbs) on glare ice with no studs, although sometimes I have to get off and help get them started moving before jumping back on if its really, really slick ice. Scratchers are required on liquid cooled sled like these. Sometimes when you have a lot of snow on the ice you get overflow of water through the ice and that creates a slush monster that can swallow up a smaller tracked, less powerful sled. When its soft and deep enough it can slow/stop any sled if not ready and moving fast enough. I also think the snowmobiles are a little better for extreme cold weather as well due to the motor being enclosed from high winds and snow(starts a little easier IMHO), built in handwarmers, usually a better windshield setup and larger average fuel tank capacity. I would get both an atv and a sled instead of one or the other, they both have thier days. Tracks are overpriced and heavy, and you can buy a nice used sled or two for the cost of them in my view.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:03 PM »
If I had the ability and the cash I would build up a 4 X 4 ATV for special purpose ice use only. Very tall and skinny tires from something like a Model T with tight fitting chains all around and I want at least 16 inches of ground clearance. This would probably be the best all around for all conditions with glare ice under 8 inches of snow and a few inches of slush.

I think we have all been in conditions on the ice where only a 4 legged Mule or horse with carbide shoes will do the job. Getting stuck out on the ice is a royal PITA and way too much work to get back off in some conditions. I got my RZR with chains all around sunk in slush about 200 yards from shore. Good thing I had a winch and a canoe/kayak folding anchor. Drill a hole, winch it in 50 feet, drill a hole and winch again and again and again until you are close enough to attach to something on shore. An Argo with tracks goes better as long as the stuff under the track sticks to the ice. Slush sucks no matter what you have if you don't have the clearance under you. I had my Snowdog track sled with screw studs out yesterday on glare ice under about 6 inches of fresh snow and it did fantastic going out in the morning. By the time we pulled up and headed back to the launch the snow had turned to slush and it was a problem. I had a buddy jump on the top and we did get back in just from his weight directly over the track. A snowmobile out there needed a push to get going and as long as he kept going he did fine but could not pull any gear. The snow dog pulled 4 sled shanties.

I don't know how to post pictures but here is an attempt if it will work.

Gam

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Nice dog

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:15 PM »
Perhaps you should put snowmobile studs in the track instead of screw-in type. That should make a world of difference. With proper studs you shouldn't get stuck on glare ice or even a few inches of slush. It might cost you a few hundred with labor, but you're already thinking new track anyway. The screw in type are more for ATV tires and I do use them on my tracked SXS.
The phazer is a good little sled. Not the best for ice fishing but if you do some trail riding on occasion it can double duty there. Having said that, it will be parked for the better part of the year while an ATV can be used in the summer months also. I've seen 4X4 ATV's with chains do pretty well on the ice.
Got a SXS this year and tracked it that machine is awesome especially on the lake. Tracks are 4 season, they don't need snow to operate. Nice on glare ice. Still have an old snowmobile though, putting tracks on an ATV/UTV really slows it down but in the summer I put the tires back on and keep riding. People tell me the tracks are expensive but if you think of the coin you drop on a new rig and only use it a few months out of the year that is ridiculous. I can register my tracked SXS as a snowmobile and ride those trails also.
It must be something in the water.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:37 PM »
I have both , ATV Suzuki King Quad 500 , with 26" tall tires 1 1/4 " lugs . And a Polaris 600 RMK.  I like using the ATV best .I looked into tracks , and did a bunch research . They cost $4,500 . They take a lot of power to operate,  and makes your ATV get horrible gas mileage . After I researched I picked up my snow machine for $1,800 . It has a 144 " track with 2" paddles . I has been a great little machine .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Perhaps you should put snowmobile studs in the track instead of screw-in type. That should make a world of difference. With proper studs you shouldn't get stuck on glare ice or even a few inches of slush. It might cost you a few hundred with labor, but you're already thinking new track anyway. The screw in type are more for ATV tires and I do use them on my tracked SXS.
The phazer is a good little sled. Not the best for ice fishing but if you do some trail riding on occasion it can double duty there. Having said that, it will be parked for the better part of the year while an ATV can be used in the summer months also. I've seen 4X4 ATV's with chains do pretty well on the ice.
Got a SXS this year and tracked it that machine is awesome especially on the lake. Tracks are 4 season, they don't need snow to operate. Nice on glare ice. Still have an old snowmobile though, putting tracks on an ATV/UTV really slows it down but in the summer I put the tires back on and keep riding. People tell me the tracks are expensive but if you think of the coin you drop on a new rig and only use it a few months out of the year that is ridiculous. I can register my tracked SXS as a snowmobile and ride those trails also.

Agreed a properly studded track will bite ice far more efficiently then screws or chains on an atv. I suggest just buying the studs and setting tool. Up front price is about the same as paying someone to do it. But you will have the tool to do another one in the future and then it will be cheaper.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:36 PM »
This is what I did and put the kold kutter screws in the tracks. Is it perfect? Probably not, my feet still freeze when it is -10°F and it is a lot slower than a snowmobile. Tires in the summer, 4 season fun.

It must be something in the water.

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Yeah it has metal skis.  I just helped my neighbor put plastic ones on his ski do.  Ill probably add that to my list of things to do to it if I keep mine.

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Thanks guys,  I think Ill keep the sled and make some modifications to it within reasonable cost and go another season with it.  A lot of good advice from you all.  Thanks again

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:19 AM »
When there is snow, I prefer a sled, and where there isn't snow, well it's usually easy walking anyway.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:38 AM »
When there is snow, I prefer a sled, and where there isn't snow, well it's usually easy walking anyway.

I was going to say this too. On glare ice with no snow at all I can drag my heavy shanty with one finger on the rope and cleats on my feet. With 6 inches of wet snow I need to eat my wheaties or bring along a mule of some sort. With deep snow the key is get as much of what ever you are dragging up above the snow pack and that includes the underside of your tow vehicle. A low slung ATV in deep snow is no good but better with good chains. Snowmobiles do pretty good if they can float on top and not get bogged down. If you think dragging your sled shanty off the ice in deep snow is hard try dragging your ATV or snowmobile.

Gam

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:52 PM »
A studded track will make a world of difference. On glare ice or light fluffy snow cover I can do twice the speed of my buddy with no studs on an identical machine. I have to pull the sleigh when we go out together since he can't get enough traction to keep up if he pulls it.

IMHO If you have studs, and scratchers to keep the sled cool, you can run glare ice just as easily or better than a quad and keep the deep snow performance.

As mentioned above though, your location is a big factor on what will work best for you. If you have a short season or want to be able to use it in the summer a quad might suit your needs better.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:25 AM »

Sled hear , I run glare ice , I just juice the sliders with a mix of dish soap water and a touch of windshield washer fluid and run easy Im not in any race plus With a sled you can cross open water cracks that wheelers cannot , not that wheelers don’t have there place they do  , mostly depends on snow fall in your region , there have been times that wheelers didn’t run for many days , longest streak was 21 days if memory serves, , , but our average snow fall is close to 140” annually

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Too many variables for this to be a Sled/ATV answer. Each person has to ask themselves what fits their budget, their fishing conditions, how much gear?, will it be a seasonal or year long machine? etc.

I ran an old 83 Arctic Cat JAG for years, just for ice fishing. When the time came to get rid of it, I asked all the questions above and bought a tracked wheeler. I used to read the, "you can buy two sleds for the price of 1 tracked atv" arguments, which to me weren't arguments. I told myself, after years of owning used sleds and wheelers, that I wanted new. I priced new sleds vs new tracked ATVs and got mine out the door from a dealer for less than the sled that came closest to what I needed.

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Sweet ride.  When I hit the lotto Ill get one.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Tracked wheeler works great in Winter and also in the off season when I want to get firewood out of a woodlot across a creek and up a hill side.  What ever works for you.

luv2fish2

« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2018, 09:57 AM »
i got all three , a tracked wheeler (2008 can am outlander 800) a 2007 bearcat , and a max II 6x6 there is no do all but tracked wheeler is good in deep snow and bare ice if you get 4 season tracks and ice screws , 6x6 is good for iffy ice like now it'll float . I use wheeler the most . my 2 cents . can use a sled if you improvise scratchers/ slider lube on bare ice . sled is cheapest by far  ;)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Is the 6 X 6 a tracked unit or wheels? If tracks, how does it go in deep snow say over 12-18 inches?

A buddy has a RZR with tracks and it does great until the snow packs in and freezes under the frame between the body. Much over 15 inches and he can get it high centered if not real careful.

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.