Author Topic: Ice armor why???????  (Read 10063 times)

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice armor why???????
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:20 AM »
Logan, naturally there are two dangers when you go through. Of the two, hypothermia and drowning may be equals. In otherwords they may claim the same number of lives. So if you have a vest on and your core body temperature drops a degree or two what good is it? As previously mentioned if you are immersed for a few minutes you may begin to loose motor skills and think irrationatley. (That may help some of us!) Anyway it only takes a degree or two to start these conditions. I have heard you are not a ice fisherman till you go through three times. Well I have not gone through once and if I do I will give myself a fighting chance! Your call!!

icewagon

« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2007, 12:51 PM »
I wonder if wearing a float suit makes you more adventurous when going onto questionable ice ? When the guy that doesn't wear one , may make a different decision about going onto thin , early or rotton ice .
  Icewagon

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:34 PM »
I can answer that one real easy. Anyone who is more adventurous on questionable ice when wearing a float suit or jacket would be called an idiot, or a retard if you prefer. A float suit doesnt give you license to be reckless or careless. Its there to save your life if you have an accident.Some of you just dont seem to get this. When you are ice fishing, you are standing directly above one of the most deadly elements on planet earth. Frigid water. You take that lightly and it will steal your life from you. Every year it does just that.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:37 PM »
I can answer that one real easy. Anyone who is more adventurous on questionable ice when wearing a float suit or jacket would be called an idiot, or a retard if you prefer. A float suit doesnt give you license to be reckless or careless. Its there to save your life if you have an accident.Some of you just dont seem to get this. When you are ice fishing, you are standing directly above one of the most deadly elements on planet earth. Frigid water. You take that lightly and it will steal your life from you. Every year it does just that.

why take the chance
Everone know what good ice is
If there is a question why risk it.
There is no fish out there worth dieing for

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:56 PM »
I usually get a late start on the ice.  When I fist go, there is about 15" of pure solid ice.  People drive trucks out on that.  I have been through and I have had no problems.  RULE NUMBER 1) Fish with a partner.  Secondly, if you dont have a partner, fish near people...dont walk/drive a kilometer away in a hidden bay or something.  I know that it would be benificial to have one.  I have my CPR courses and I know the effects of hypothermia quite well.  In my situation, I dont feel a need fore it.  But like IceTroll said " To each is own". :tipup:
Born to FISH, Forced to WORK!

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:21 AM »
Logan, you mentioned that you have been through. You also mentioned that you do not go out until trucks can drive on the ice?? Care to explain? The only reason I ask is as I mentioned earlier, I have not seen the underside. I think it may be beneficial to all to have members that have, tell their story. I would and I am sure others can learn from some of those experiences. This may be interesting!!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:34 AM »
And i also want to add that an ice armour suit costs more than a float suit so why buy it and throw a life vest over it??? :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline rlholmes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SempraFI
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:50 PM »
The ice armor suit is a great way of saying ( look at me I got lots of stuff ). And if i had the money I would buy the suit. Walmart generic carhart suit's for me.
If you have no clue what you are doing just buy more gear and try to look the part.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.