Author Topic: need to buy a new suit and looking for advice  (Read 4031 times)

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
need to buy a new suit and looking for advice
« on: Oct 24, 2013, 11:36 PM »
i am looking to buy a suit i am just not sure what weight to get. when i fish i get there :34-:45 mins before and type of light and i fish ALL DAY till a hour or so after dark on most trips. i jig alot but also put out tip-ups alot of the time too. i am moving hole to hole jigging alot so i built body warmth but if its a slow day i might be sitting for a hour or two at times. i need something that will keep me warm through my sitting still times but at the same time not overheat me when i am walking all around. i also drag all my gear so its warming.   

theres alot of things i look at and am hoping someone that has the same habits can recommend a good suit model.

i have been looking at the Striker and Arctic Armor suits. i have it down to one of them, i think...    HELP ME!!!!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: need to buy a new suit and looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2013, 12:27 AM »
I have the Striker Ice Hardwater suit. I bought it last ice season and I'm very happy with it and would buy it again. I fish a lot like you do as well and recommend you look into the Striker line of suits. They are warm, dry, built good, have lots of pockets, and of course float. I used mine all last season on the ice and snowmobiling. I never got cold or wet. The Predator suit which is lighter/less insulation than the hardwater suit would be good on those days you do a lot of moving. If I get to warm in my Hardwater suit I just open up the vents on it or take off the jacket for a little while. I use my flip over  a lot less now, unless my son is with me or I'm sight fishing.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2013, 12:49 AM »
John;  I bought the "official" Strikemaster suit last year, and used it for most of the season.  It's lightweight, but nicely warm.  It is NOT a float suit, but I have my Mustang Survival suit for those early and late season "thin ice" days.  I think the complete Strikemaster suit ran me about $300 bucks.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2013, 01:27 AM »
i am really focusing on the strike master suit but just not sure which MODEL to get! you know the temps and the weather i fish in Rodger, should i go with the "hardwater" or the "predator"?   i have it narrowed down to one of those...

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2013, 02:20 AM »
i am really focusing on the strike master suit but just not sure which MODEL to get! you know the temps and the weather i fish in Rodger, should i go with the "hardwater" or the "predator"?   i have it narrowed down to one of those...

Strike master is a different company than Striker Ice. Striker Ice offers the Hardwater and Predator floating suits.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2013, 05:19 AM »
I have had the Arctic Armor for 5 years, not a hitch. It's lightweight, very warm and still like new. And it floats!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2013, 05:21 AM »

I have Artic Armor and love it, it's light weight and warm. I haven't had any problems with zippers freezing or tears that have been posted in the past. Good luck in your choice.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2013, 05:24 AM »
Boss Jigs I own an original Arctic Armor suit (red-black) one of my complaints with it is the fact that the suit does not breathe/wick moisture to the outside air. If you do a lot of moving and hand drill your holes need to open zipper or remove jacket to prevent moisture build up on inside lining. The bibs only have a zipper to the knee area and internal leg gaiters which means no putting on boots and then  bib for me at least. I believe Striker makes a suit called the Climate that has a removable liner in the jacket.
 I'm planning to attend the December SENY members gather at the Middletown Gander Mountain and will bring the Arctic Armor jacket with me so everyone can look it over do not think there is any local dealers for either Arctic Armor or Striker close to our area. If you are not attending the gathering send me a personal message we could possibly meet some where along route 17 corridor and you can look over my suit. I purchased my suit from Fish307 in Lake George drove to the store so I could try on in person. I believe Fish307 only carries the Striker clothing line at this time. Not including travel and lodging cost in with the suit price was $325.00 with tax,this was back in 2008.
Steve

Offline oldred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2013, 10:11 AM »
I bought a pair of Striker Ice bibs end of season from Fish307 so have no with them. As to fit I looked at there sizing chart and went 2XL. I am 5'11" 215# and wear 40x32 jeans. The 2XL fits if I use the adjustment to take the cuff up six inches. With that the knee pads are going to be about six inches low. Maybe I should've gone XL but think that might be tight around my body. I'm thinking I'll get a matching jacket but if I do I will, like mr.clean did, make the drive to Lake George and try them on first.
"Que scais-je?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2013, 03:47 AM »
Don't count out the Frabill ice suits. I bought the lightweight style for less than $200 a couple of years ago and use it year round. I move a lot when I ice fish...on foot. This suit provides many options for layering underneath. No bulk, super construction, rain and wind proof. I've tested it in the rain. It's waterproof and breathable. With good quality base and mid layers, I stay dry and warm no matter what the conditions. I generally wear a fleece pullover that's easily shed if need be.

I would never buy an winter weight insulated suit. The only time you can use it is when it's really cold out. Having a $400 snow suit hanging in the basement 9 months out of the year makes little sense to me :-\

Just my $.02.
RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2013, 08:10 AM »

I got an Arctic Armor suit for xmas 2 seasons ago. (Think she's marriage material?! Haha)
Mother nature can NOT dish out conditions to make a day uncomfortable while I'm wearing it. I used the shacks and heaters a lot less since getting it. That fact alone saves me a ton of weight when I'm fishing without my kids.
Rg is dead on with his post though. That beautiful suit of mine certainly does a lot of sitting during the off season. There are no other uses for it. Amazing when I need it. Borderline heartbreaking when I don't.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2013, 08:34 AM »
I've had Artic Armor for four years, never really kept my back warm, the rest was fine. Bought a Striker Ice Climate jacket and bibs from 307 on our anual LG trip, love it esp the zip out inner liner on the jacket and full zipper on the bibs. The inner liner is comfortable to steelie fish in and warm in it's own right, the choice is yours, good luck  :-\

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2013, 08:38 AM »
I bought the Artic ARMOR-plus. My only complaint was the zippers in the bibs. took it and had full lenght ones put in. now they go almost to the waist. love therest f the suit, and it FLOATS!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2013, 06:12 AM »
I got the Striker Hardwater last year and love it. Floatation,Waterproof,great fit, lots of pockets, other little extras. Much better than some of the other suits I've seen.
As for the comments about expensive suits hanging idle for months, how can you even think about that? If I considered that I'd never buy anything. All my ice tackle,vexilar,portable shanty, thousand of dollars worth of bass tackle and my boat that sit for 7 months. My shotguns and rifles that I only use a couple of months during hunting season. What if you own a snowmobile? The list is endless. That argument is kinda silly IMHO.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2013, 08:38 AM »
mike,

can i ask your chest/bellie size, leg length and suit size so i can try to figure my suit size?    I AM SOLD ON STRIKER! i just need to pick the style and size now.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I just got a clam suit from reeds for 150 its a men's red suit not lot of insulation but for me great so don't have to wear my gray suit all the time. Next year I want a float suit
Just enjoying life

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2013, 04:20 PM »
I also bought the  Striker Ice Hardwater suit  last year and love it. I did order up a size and customer service was great.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2013, 04:21 PM »
mike,

can i ask your chest/bellie size, leg length and suit size so i can try to figure my suit size?    I AM SOLD ON STRIKER! i just need to pick the style and size now.
I have no idea the sizes. I am 5'7" and at the time weighed about 180(I've actually lost 20+pounds since june) and I have Medium Bibs and a large jacket and they fit well..
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2013, 06:57 PM »
John;  There's a wealth of good advice from all of the above fishermen, butultimately the choice is yours.  Knowing how you fish, and how you sometimes like to push the envelope (thin ice-wise), I think you should opt for one of the "Float Suits".  Most importantly however is how that suit fits you.  Whatever you do.....don't order on-line!!!  You must try the suit on for proper fit.  I learned this lesson the hard way by buying a 3X suit to fit my girth (ugghhh!!) without thinking about my height.  Now my pants crotch is 4 inches low and there's at least 5 - 6 inches too much leg !!  Because the way the suit is constructed, I can't find anyone who can alter the leg length...... don't get yourself into this predicament.

See you on the ice !!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:18 PM »
John;  There's a wealth of good advice from all of the above fishermen, butultimately the choice is yours.  Knowing how you fish, and how you sometimes like to push the envelope (thin ice-wise), I think you should opt for one of the "Float Suits".  Most importantly however is how that suit fits you.  Whatever you do.....don't order on-line!!!  You must try the suit on for proper fit.  I learned this lesson the hard way by buying a 3X suit to fit my girth (ugghhh!!) without thinking about my height.  Now my pants crotch is 4 inches low and there's at least 5 - 6 inches too much leg !!  Because the way the suit is constructed, I can't find anyone who can alter the leg length...... don't get yourself into this predicament.

See you on the ice !!!
Isn't that how kids wear them these days anyway?! Kidding man. I had to.
This is the best piece of advice you can take from this thread.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:31 PM »
The Striker bibs have a adjustable cuff down by the ankles that allow you to adjust the length for your inseam. If you go to the Striker web site and click on the bibs, you can see their sizing chart and click on it to see the size you would most likely need. It's just one of the cool things they design into their suits to allow for all the different inseam length's people have. That will at least give you a idea what size you would most likely be, if you can't find a place to try them on soon.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Thank Mike, thats what i was looking for... height and weight.

Rodger, thats why i asked the question here on iceshanty! i dont want to make a bad size choice like you unfortunately had. the closest "store" is in lake george so i need as many peoples input as i can get before i place an order. but i will ask BEFORE i buy if i can exchange for a differant size if i do misjudge with my selection.

as to seeing you on the ice   Ive been working on the spoons i make and will be selling them this year for $2.00 each. if you try this on ANY lake i know you will love it! if you want me me and i can work some costom ones fro you given the time...

jchunter    thanks for the info! i did not yet know about the adjustable cuffs. i am going to get a striker suit. i am thinking of going with a large bibs and jacket given that i am about the same weight as mike but am about 2 1/2-3 inches taller.

THANK YOU OUT TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE HELPED ME MAKE THIS PICK.

ill report back when i get it in and get it on for a few test runs...

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2013, 10:33 PM »
well after the advice i found here over the last 2 weeks i got the striker hardwater jacket and bibs for $369. i called and asked a few questions and the guy i spoke with was very helpful and detailed with his replies so i know i got what i want. he also told me that when they get here try them on to check the size. as long as i don't remove any of the tags i can exchange for the size i need. all ill need to pay is the shipping of the suit back to them, they pay to send to me. said it went out today and should be here around Friday. till then...

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2013, 11:05 PM »
I was reading this after I just ordered my striker hardwater suit. I hope it fits I got both pieces in the large. I am 6' and 180-185. Anyone here got a striker suit and my size? I can't wait for the ice to get here.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I was reading this after I just ordered my striker hardwater suit. I hope it fits I got both pieces in the large. I am 6' and 180-185. Anyone here got a striker suit and my size? I can't wait for the ice to get here.
Hey buddy - ready for the crappies?  Hope the suit fits - sounds like it should be good from your description.

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Yeah buddy I Am ready got my new suit coming + ordered three new batteries.
I am looking forward to see all my ice fishing buddies. I really want to get into the
Eyes this year.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Yeah buddy I Am ready got my new suit coming + ordered three new batteries.
I am looking forward to see all my ice fishing buddies. I really want to get into the
Eyes this year.
Let me know when you find them.  Did pretty good on 'em this summer; not where anyone might think to find them either!
We'll get together this season.  How's that LX5? Still working?  Got any new gear this year?  PM me your # - I lost it ???

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Didn't get much else bought some antique tip downs.
Might get a couple new jig pole set ups. Striker hardwater suit
And new battery's for the marcum, lazer auger and underwater camera.
The lx5 is running strong I am just getting the battery's to be safe. My number
Is 528-5702 it is plastered all over the internet any ways now. I went and got my brokers
License back and back to making money. My back is better then it was just hope it stays that way.
Still limited motion but less pain. I hope to go a lot this year I might sell the rhino and buy a new
4 wheeler so I can license it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Sounds good.  See you on Rollaway in a couple of months.
Take a look at the 13 Fishing Ice gear.  Nice stuff.  I got two of the new Teardrop reels and two of their Medium WhiteOut rods.  Just for eye fishing  ;D  Getting my wheeler set up for fishing on the ice - adding a new large rear box and a foldout shelter that I mounted on the front.  Changing my GPS mount and getting ready.
Know where there are any 6X12 enclosed trailers in your area?  I'm looking for a good deal.  Need something to transport the wheeler in, my other trailer is not tall enough, now that I added all the new stuff.  :P

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Wow sounds like you are set. I don't know about any trailers for sale but will keep an eye out for one. I hope there is enough ice this year for safe wheeling.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.