Author Topic: Ice Cleats for Mickey Mouse Boots??????????  (Read 8797 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Ice Cleats for Mickey Mouse Boots??????????
« on: Nov 18, 2012, 05:29 AM »
I picked up a set of mickey boots to try out this year.  What socks do you all find to work the best?  These boots dont breath, so socks that work in a vapor barrier like situation should be best.  Yes??

thanks

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Cleats for Mickey Mouse Boots??????????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Wool socks.  Pull them up and over the top when you lace them up.  That way they'll wick the sweat up and away from your feet.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:56 PM »
Bought a pair of these boots 2 years ago. Very warm and comfortable. Only problem is trying to find a pair of ice cleats that stay on the big front foot portion and back. I have tried tying the cleats up toward the front but eventually they work to the side of the boot thus losing traction. Any suggestions out there. Considering on putting small screws in them. Only use these on the ice. I put them on once I reach the lake. Thanks for any help...
      Kim  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Good luck!  I have had my big ass boots for about 15 years and have yet to find anything.  I have however perfected the art of walking carefully.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Try looking for the cleats with neon green surgical hose for straps.  I have a pair they fit big boots.   You may need to replace straps every once and a while.
Gator Nation

Offline Webby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:15 PM »
You might want to look into using some kold kutter ice screws. I use the 3/8" ones in my boots that I only wear for ice fishing.
"The best two times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not raining!"

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:16 PM »
I have a pair of size 12 mickeys. a friend of mine gave me a set of cleats that look something like Korkers. They are called "Icegrips" by Jordan Davis. My wife had to add some nylon webbing to the front loop so that they could get around the big boots, but they stay on nicely now. I'm sure you could adapt a pair of Korkers too, but they are a lot more expensive.

Offline kyle1982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I use Kahtoola Microspikes on mine and they work really well. They have 2 sizing charts one for regular boots and one for winter/pac boots use the winter boot chart, I wear a 10 in the mickey mouse and ordered the large cleats

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I have xl kahthoola microspikes on my size 13 black mickeys.

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:31 PM »
xl kahthoola microspikes

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Try looking for the cleats with neon green surgical hose for straps.  I have a pair they fit big boots.   You may need to replace straps every once and a while.
They're called Arctic Spurs.  If you can find a pair (most likely used as they stopped making them a few years ago) buy them.   They're the deepest cutting ice cleat on the market.   
  All the other brands will work fine on glare ice but if there's any loose snow on the ice, the Arctic Spurs sink right down to the hard ice and grip it where the others load up with snow and the clump of snow slides out from under your foot.  The results aren't fun !
  Also, the Arctic Spurs work perfect on Mickey Mouse boot.  They stay put  and they go on and off pretty easy !

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Bought a pair of these boots 2 years ago. Very warm and comfortable. Only problem is trying to find a pair of ice cleats that stay on the big front foot portion and back. I have tried tying the cleats up toward the front but eventually they work to the side of the boot thus losing traction. Any suggestions out there. Considering on putting small screws in them. Only use these on the ice. I put them on once I reach the lake. Thanks for any help...
      Kim  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

I've been using Stabilicers with my MM boots for maybe 4 years.  They work and fit well.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:46 PM »
I've got size 11 paired with xl korkers. Stabilicers in xl work great to. I used those before I got the korkers.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:56 PM »
I made a set from two old belts for my Mickie's. Wrap the belt around your boot for size and align the buckle on top of the boot, trim the belt long enough to tuck the belt back into the buckle. Snug it down good and solid and mark where you want your holes to buckle the strap, punch your holes and strap it down on your boot. Mark the bottom outside side edges of the belt where the edges of the boot is. I punched 6 holes within those marks and I used 6 small, round head machine screws (1/4") and nuts in those holes using a small flat washer on both the screw head side and the nut side and tightened them down and made a pair of creepers. I made them 29 years ago when I got my boots and am still using them and I have yet had to re-tighten the nuts and screws since I made them. Just an idea.

Offline SD Ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:58 PM »
I have been using frabill ice cleats. One pair lasts about a year, they strap on and on the back, they catch on the back knob by the heel. For only 7.99, you can't go wrong!!
The Hooded Merganser strikes again!!

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:05 PM »
I bought a cheap large pair of cleets at wall mart.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Install SM screws in the tread. Work nice.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline xtrymefire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:18 PM »
I use the cheap ones from Walmart. Think they are HT

http://www.icefish.com/catalog/item.php

Only problem is the heel. There are some with heels on there website from the link
A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:54 PM »
KAHTOOLAH!!!  Definitely worth the money!

Got my son a pair too because it is cheaper than a broken arm, ankle, leg, Vexilar, Concussion, stitches, etc...

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:07 PM »
They're called Arctic Spurs.  If you can find a pair (most likely used as they stopped making them a few years ago) buy them.   They're the deepest cutting ice cleat on the market.   
  All the other brands will work fine on glare ice but if there's any loose snow on the ice, the Arctic Spurs sink right down to the hard ice and grip it where the others load up with snow and the clump of snow slides out from under your foot.  The results aren't fun !
  Also, the Arctic Spurs work perfect on Mickey Mouse boot.  They stay put  and they go on and off pretty easy !
Oh no!  I need new straps for mine too ???
Gator Nation

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I just got a pair if micro spikes for my size 11. They seem like they fit well but will find out for sure very soon.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:26 PM »
The straps on the arctic spurs can be replaced with surgical tubing.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline slabhappy56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for people who don't FISH.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Have been reading about kold kutters and how well they work with pack boots.they come in about 8 different lengths from 3/8 inch upto 1 and 1/2  inches .The coarse thread looks like they will stay in the tread well.They have a v groove both ways in the head for what looks to be great traction.At 17 to 20 dollars for 250 pcs you would have enough for all your friends and yourself for quite a while.I understand that they are used primarily for studding motorcycle tires and atv tires.Might give them a try. Slabhappy56
Having been away from ice fishing for a number of years, I now have the time to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes. I have enjoyed reading the posts from long time members and to read how you all help one another with no animosity between you.I am looking forward to chatting with you all...slabhappy.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2013, 12:32 AM »
Oh no!  I need new straps for mine too ???
You might try calling Knutsons Wholesale bait & tackle in Brooklyn Michigan.   They may still have the replacement neoprene tube straps.

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2013, 03:36 PM »
I have been looking at the Kahtoola microspikes online but have only seen them in standard sizes. how do I order a  bigger size for my mickeys I have the white boots size 10  and the kids is the blacks in size 8.

Thanks

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM »
Bought the Kold Kuts screws. 250 per bag with free shipping. Have other uses for the extras. Will let you know the results. Thanks for the help.
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fosto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:51 PM »
These are what i use. I have 2 pair and no problems fit any boot i have put them on. I use large but they make other sizes. I have different size spikes i can screw into them as well they rock. But sit down they cost. $79.99 a pair. I can get you name and brand if interested. Will ne last spikes you will ever buy.

Offline bubbahide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2013, 04:51 PM »
I found some HT ice cleats that fit over my mickey boots. I think the size is 2X. They fit on a size 12 mickey mouse boot which is pretty BIG.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I received my Kold Kutters and screwed them into my boots. Accidentally bought the 3/4" screws but never went through to the soles when installed. I am really pleased with the results. Since I never wear my ice boots while driving I don't have to worry about scuffing up my truck. They seem to fit what I'm looking for. Will let you know when I'm on the ice and using them. The long spiked cleats seem nice but a bit of an overkill. When snow is that deep spikes won't help you from my own experience. Stay on top and upright............... .....
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I use HT's  OMNI TECH SUPER STUD SANDAL CLEAT in X-LARGE that I bought last year and don't have any problems keeping them on my boots which are size 14 packs.  The straps on mine have velcro on them and are long enough and even have extra left when tightening them.  The new version doesn't have the velcro straps but I'm sure you could find the ones with the velcro on them.  If you can't give the Hunter's Gallery a call in Hamlin Pennsylvania, 570-689-7898, I think they'll ship them.

http://www.icefish.com/catalog/item.php

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.