Author Topic: Boot Recommendations -  (Read 3306 times)

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Boot Recommendations -
« on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Hey everyone - I've been using my waterproof hiking boots with Gaiters but I'm realizing that even with a Big Buddy heater my toes are the first to go when it is under 10 degrees in my Clam 2000. 

Any recommendations on Boots?  Big Kamik's/Sorels/Rocky's etc.

Would like them to be warm, but also looking for value.  Thanks for any advice!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Boot Recommendations -
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Plenty of post covering boots...
I wear Micky boots... warm, waterproof.. Great value for the money...

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:30 PM »
I would totally go with

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Arctic_Winter_Sport_Snow_Boots_p/asp000a.htm

or

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/New-US-Military-Mickey-Boots-with-Valve-Black.aspx?a=591923&kwtid=481759&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE

The Muck boots are REALLY nice, and they slip on and off!
The Mickey Boots need to be ordered a size or two smaller than your norm.
You can find these boots on ebay for pretty cheap!

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Lacrosse sportsman 1200mg are great and 100% waterproof
Catching Any?

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:06 PM »
 This year I bought Baffin impacts I have been out a few times in them, my feet have been warm, dry and they are very comfortable. Ive had sorels before and they were ok but after a few hours my feet would get cold.  hope this helps.

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If the hat is missin'....I've gone fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Has anyone tried the Clam IceArmor Onyx Boots?

Offline spleak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:16 PM »
La Cross insulated, studded over shoes with your boots in a plastic bag if it's really cold.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:19 PM »
i have the irish setter snow claws. 2000 grams of thinsulate in the uppers. the sole is also insulated. they are bulky but are surprisingly light and waterproof. i like mine alot.

Offline Ice_Stalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:20 PM »
Go to Amazon or Zappos and order Baffin Titan boots.  100% rubber outsole and 100% waterproof.  rated to -140 and only $105! Best ice boot I have ever worn by far.
Catch.Reel.Release...R epeat as needed.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Absolute BEST VALUE in IceFishing boots are the Mickey Mouse boots......they can be had for as little as $35 and are 100% Waterproof.  I've had to stop wearing my heavy hiunting socks with the Mickeys....too warm!!  Now I wear just a pair of light socks .... feet stay warm all day.
Check them out on E-Bay...... be sure to get the ones made by BADA.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:29 PM »
mickey mouse boots.  black are rated like -20 and the white ones are rated even colder. 
Don

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:02 AM »
I would totally go with

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Arctic_Winter_Sport_Snow_Boots_p/asp000a.htm

or

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/New-US-Military-Mickey-Boots-with-Valve-Black.aspx?a=591923&kwtid=481759&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE

The Muck boots are REALLY nice, and they slip on and off!
The Mickey Boots need to be ordered a size or two smaller than your norm.
You can find these boots on ebay for pretty cheap!

Pyro

I agree with Muck boots is the best! I just order it last few weeks ago. I wear it go to Ice fishing, and its so warm and comfortable!! I really so happy with it. I think everyone should own this kind boots!

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:56 AM »
Only thing i dont like about mucks is the fact that the absolutely kill the top of my feet where the metatarsal meets the medial.  (there is a knot there, at least on my feet). 

As per OP's request, IMO, the best value and guaranteed warm feet is the Mickey.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline callison

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:39 AM »
Arctic Mickey mouse are white in color, the black ones aren't rated to as low a temp, but are fine for most people, and the Bata brand is what mine are. I've had Sorels, Lacrosse Icemans and Hodgeman Pro temp kings previous to these boots. No comparison as far as warmth, comfort, durability, price, etc... The list goes on. The gov't pays more for these than it does for hammers and toilet seats. They run slightly large, so half sizes are of no concern. Also come in wide and extra wide. Be careful of dry-cracking, new unissued boots that were made in the early 80's can be cracked from sitting in a crate in some supply depot for the past 30 years. Mine were made in '83 and have minor cracks, but are warmer and more comfortable on a mile walk to the hole than ANYTHING that I've worn. If you haven't guessed already, I'd endorse these boots to anyone at any time, for anything except swimming in. Cheap too, like me.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:52 AM »
If you decide on leather "pac" boots, just make sure that the uppers are full leather and not leather/nylon combined. Even if they claim to be 100% waterproof, chances are they are not!!! I have a pair of Lacrosse Ice Kings that are made like this and while they are VERY warm, if I step in more than 5-6" of slush/water my feet are getting wet. I think the newer ones this year are made with all leather uppers. Mickey boots are worth a long look from what I hear, cheap, warm and waterproof...can't go wrong with that!!!

Offline syborg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:26 AM »
i like my mickeys, esp for the price, but they are not as warm as i thought they would be. 20 degree weather, and you will feel your toes get cold.  i kept reading how my feet would be like an inferno, not the case.  they are more nimble than what I read as well...not going to be running marathons in them, but they are not bad to drive and walk around in

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:49 AM »
Mickeys by far. They are cheap and warm.  I wear them in below zero temps with normal socks and don't get cold.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Regulator99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:00 AM »
La Cross insulated, studded over shoes with your boots in a plastic bag if it's really cold.

I get these issued to me at work. You slip on you ordinary leather boot, put a walmart bag over your boot and then slip on the overshoes. Ive used this method at work for years and even on the coldest days ND has to offer, my feet never get cold.  The bottoms are studded so using them for ice fishing is ideal.  When Im not using these, I have a pair of Muck Woody Max boots that are great also.

If you are wondering, the plastic bag is used to make getting the overshoes on and off easier.

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Do any of you guys sport these http://www.kenetrek.com/pac_boot.asp?gclid=CJ_P6dPBwaYCFRhzgwod_y9IHA on the ice? I used to have a set that worked killer for huntin, but I never sat on the ice in them. I would love to get another pair, but only if they can be used as dual purpose.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:12 AM »
I have the rocky ice stalkers with the flip out cleats in the sole. Very warm and comfortable but can become a bit heavy by the end of the day. I also have muck woody max that are awesome! Feet stay warm and dry even in the coldest, wetest conditions.
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Cabela's Inferno. 2000 gram thinsulate, very warm...especially when paired with silk and wool socks.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone

I think I'm going to try the Mickey Boots.  I wear a 10 or 10.5, sounds like I should shoot for a Size 9?

Offline syborg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:47 AM »
go for a 10 then. half sizes should order up

Offline callison

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Regulator, are you a railroader? My company used to issue us Lacrosse boots, both lace up and zippered Fleecefoot with studs. That is correct, warm boots. We get cheapo Chet's Chinese boots now, no comparison...

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2011, 02:33 PM »
get the new LL bean pac boots.  just got a pair and love them

ICE REBEL

« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:46 PM »
I wear a pair of rocky pack boots. They haven't failed me yet warm and waterproof.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Just got a new pair of Kamik Goliath 3 boots ... best darn boots I've ever put on!!! I've always had problems with boots that seem good, then leak after 1 season ... not these, they are SOLID, and VERY warm!  They shipped to my door the following day for $125 total.  Can't beat that with a stick! Kamiks are made in Canada, not China like most of the boots out there, for people who work in very harsh conditions.

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Kamik_Mens_Goliath_Work_Boots_p/bk0845.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.