Author Topic: Are 100% waterproof boots really waterproof?  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Are 100% waterproof boots really waterproof?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:45 AM »
Great discussions here and lots of great boots mentioned. I need to buy a new pair for this season and they will be a 100% rubber for those days when the slush is cold and deep.

Just to be clear here, My LaCrosse Ice Kings and even my Sorel pac boots rule as far as keeping my feet warm and dry in relatively dry conditions. They both fall short where 100% water proof is needed.

Now for a twist in a direction that is growing more dear to me. I want good rubber boots that are just like the Mucks but I want to buy a boot that is "Made in the USA". I am growing very tired of supporting other countries that took our jobs and our technology and are now selling back to us and destroying our own economy.

So far, and I am not entirely sure, but it looks as though the only 100% rubber insulated boot I can find that might be American made is the Rocky Deer Stalker Extreme. I have had excellent results from Rocky boots in my Bear Claw 2s and hope to learn in the next day or 2 of other boots that are made right here in the USA. I think Rocky's are but I have sent an email to them to verify.

UPDATE---- Scratch this entire post------- Here is the answer direct from Rocky-----"Our boots are made in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and China"!

Any other good ideas?

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2010, 12:42 PM »
It's tough to find boots that are still made in USA.  Even some Matterhorn boots are made in China.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Sep 04, 2010, 02:10 AM »
I do believe danners are still made in the USA, but I am not sure if they have an all rubber boot. 

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #33 on: Sep 08, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Good luck finding anything made in USA. Everything seems to be going to the middle east or china. The only thing we make now is chinese fortune cookies! Next time read the package. I say we give the chinese back their cookies and we take back our jobs....anywho.....

We get the same conditions in New Hampshire and sometimes even worst. I even had to wear my waders to get to my bob house as the water was past my knees on top of the ice from slush, heavy snow and the weight of the house pushing the ice down. Had my house jacked up on six 4x4 blocks on each corner....like stilts. Scary. I've been on the ice when there's been 6 - 8" of water during a rain storm checking on houses etc...making sure everything was alright. I pretty much go out whenever and dont like to let the conditions stop me (I actually like being in some of those weather conditions).....so here is what I recommend for ice fishing boots.

You really need 2 pairs of boots minium.

One pac boot and one all rubber boot (and the third...waders).

I agree with Gamalot's testing. I have yet to see any pac boot pass this test. They will leak at the threads between the upper and lower. The rubber will develop a crack at the flex point eventually.
I use the Cabela's Alaska boot very good for dry / snowy conditions. Very warm boot but big. You feel like Gene Simmons of KISS walking around in these. It takes some getting used to. I have the gore-tex model and they leak but they are extremely warm.

The other boot I have is the Lacrosse Alpha Burly 1500 gram boot. Nice warm water proof boot. They will leak at the flex points eventually. Nice part though is you can extend the life a bit longer by adding rubber patches to them.

Lastly, waders if your not gonna let mother nature stop you. I use them in emergency situations and sometimes getting on the ice when the shore line breaks up.

I feel that boots if you use them, are gonna wear out after 2 - 4 years. It would be nice if they made them last longer which I know they could but then again, look where they're made.

Take back your d**n cookies! We'll make our own boots.

JIGGIN.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #34 on: Sep 08, 2010, 04:28 PM »
My LaCrosse boots(all rubber outers) have been 100% waterproof for about 15 years or so, very warm too.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.