Author Topic: Good boots...??  (Read 5049 times)

Offline MalkinMadness

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "workin for the man, fishin when i can!"
Good boots...??
« on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:22 PM »
i was just looking to buy a pair of boots mostly just for ice fishing. looking to spend under $140.. any suggestions?? thanks dustin

Offline northernmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Good boots...??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I use Lacross pac boots, my feet are never cold.

www.lacrossefootwear.com

Offline JimmyJr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:31 PM »
i was just looking to buy a pair of boots mostly just for ice fishing. looking to spend under $140.. any suggestions?? thanks dustin

I have a pair of Irish Setters.  Best boots I have ever owned.  A little bit more than your $140 budget, but well worth the price.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing those things which people say you can not do.

Offline IceNomads

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOT ICE!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:31 PM »
if yur after just ice fishing i would go with the lacrosse pacs, ice armor, baffins(rated for -140 temps), or mickey mouse boots from military surplus like fleetfarm :)
 FISHIN' IS LIKE SEX, THE LESS YOU GET, THE MORE YOU LIE!!

Offline Mounter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:35 PM »
I agree with the Lacrosse pac boots. I love mine.

Offline loualbano

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • one tough day...........brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:59 PM »
alot of us guys from maine are using cabelas pedator extremes they are great last i knew they were 129.00

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:09 PM »
  Muck boots or Ranger

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:11 PM »
I would lean towards Lacrosse boots as they have been proven performers to me.  I also like the Irish Setters because they have a much lighter feel and more of a running shoe platform feel.  I'm kind of rough on my footwear and having leather uppers goes a long way for me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:14 PM »
The Sorel is the timeless classic and in some places they don't call em pac boots the just call em Sorels.  The Sorel is the Jello of ice boots. 

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:23 PM »
My ice fishing boots are military issue Bata 'Mickey Mouse' boots.  You will nothing more waterproof and nothing warmer than these and they can be had for under $50.  Sortsmans guide also sells them.  No matter what you go with, I would recommend a good pair of waterproof leg gaiters for drilling holes, keeps the bottom of your pants dry.

Offline Pines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Lacrosse Ice Kings.I will buy this boot over and over if I need to. My feet NEVER get cold in Ice Kings. :)

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:32 PM »
LOL, i just posted this on another boot post so i thought i would copy and paste it here.

I hope they work out for you, but i am done buying cheap boots.  I have been trying to get away with mid road boots for a few years now.  The continually leak, rip, etc.  I am now done buying rocky as they have not had a good boot imo since the old corn stalker from 10 years ago.

I am moving to the higher end boot and hopefully it works out.  I figure paying 200 bucks for boots and getting 5 - 6 years out of them is better than buying a new pair of 100$ boots every flipin year.

We shall see. 

Hope you find a good pair for a great buy though

Offline missinafew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Its ok to miss afew
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Cabelas predator extreme.
If all men were created equal. You would catch as many fish as me.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:40 PM »
A lot of waterproofing for boots don't last for more than one/two seasons of use.  The waterproofing on my Lacrosse boots specifially says one year warranty.  Well going on nine/ten years and still fully waterproof, but I have applied snowseal just about once a year.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:46 PM »
A lot of waterproofing for boots don't last for more than one/two seasons of use.  The waterproofing on my Lacrosse boots specifially says one year warranty.  Well going on nine/ten years and still fully waterproof, but I have applied snowseal just about once a year.

I have had about the same luck (1 year) but in my opinion no company has a right to charge over a hundred bucks for a boot that loses what you bought it for in a year.  Cant imagine paying 175 bucks or so for boots and having them leak the second winter out.  Seems like a rip off to me.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Wore my Predator Extremes for the first time last weekend and for a change my feet stayed warm.  They are a bit heavy and stiff, but I adjusted to the weight easily, and hope they will break in after wearing them a few times.

So far I'm very happy with them.

-Jeff

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:39 PM »
mickey boots studed hands down,dont even tie mine all the way up and one pair socks.....feet never get cold

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:39 PM »
I just got a pair of Lacrosse Pacs for $40 from a bait shop in Eastern Ma. The guy was selling them for $50, but one of the loops in the back (used to pull boot on?) was ripped so he let them go for $40. Unfortunately I have no way of telling what model they are from the tag, but they look like they will be ok. Comfort rated from 40* to -40*. Hopefully will be better than my plain old Timberlands.

Offline PACKMAN241982

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THE BEERS SLUSHY GET A STRAW! FLATLANDER
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:41 PM »
muck boots hands down
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!

Offline westernny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:42 PM »
LaCrosse Ice man pacs work for me

Offline slowkota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Biggest jumbo yellabellies
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:32 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=597063 Cant really go wrong with these... 800 gram thinsulate, rated warmth to -120 degrees F, and best of all WATERPROOF!

Offline Mr. Shanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the goin' gets tough, I go ice fishing!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:42 PM »
I have both the Lacrosse Ice Kings and the Rocky Blizzard Stalkers 1200 grams of insulation (Sportsman's Guide for 79.00). In my opinion, both are great boots. I wore the Rocky boots today and my feet were warm all day and the temp was in the teens. I know some people have had bad luck with Rocky boots, but I have been lucky I guess.    I think the key to warm feet is good books AND the right socks as well. I wear a polypropylene boot liner and socks that are 80-90% wool. I stay away from cotton at all costs.

Offline Overly Hackled

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Flip Flops and a jug of Jack ? ;D
Your Pal >>>>>>>> Overly Hackled

"Sic Vis Pacum,Para Bellum"

If You Want Peace,Prepare For War"......

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:55 PM »
You might try Ranger Boots. I picked up a pair this year and they are huge improvement from my old Sorrels. (Of course my Sorrels were 30 years old.)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:23 PM »
alot of us guys from maine are using cabelas pedator extremes they are great last i knew they were 129.00
I just bought a pair of Sorel Conquests at Renys for $99. They are pretty sweet so far.

http://www.shoebuy.com/sorel-conquest/303749/648310
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:30 PM »
Why do none of my links work?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline slowkota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Biggest jumbo yellabellies
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:35 PM »
Why do none of my links work?

Gotta use the "hyperlink" to insert a link... its the thing that looks like the earth, to the right of the bold "tags" category when you're posting a reply!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Ok I was using the quick reply. Thanks

Ok THESE are the Sorel boots I just got.

http://www.shoebuy.com/sorel-conquest/303749/648310

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:13 PM »
I have a pair of inferno 2000. They are from cabelas and they are the best pair of boots I have ever owned. Fully waterproof, gortex, moisture wicking 2000grams of thinsulate. They are about 100-120.
I like them so much I just outfitted both my kids and my other half.
Hope this helped. Just so you know...very durable. I fish six to seven time a week and this is there third season. flawless design.
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:36 AM »
Id get a pair of them Moon Boots Napolean Dynamite wore in the movie probably not very warm but you will get all the ladies!! Ha ha i would go with the lacrosses or the mickeys have both cant go wrong with either one. I wear the mickeys when heavy snow pack causes the water to sit on top of the ice thats my favorite ::) ::)
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.