Author Topic: 10" Hole  (Read 2555 times)

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
10" Hole
« on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:11 PM »
Last post was my intro now I've gotta get into this hard water phenom. I know the regs say 10" max holes in Colorado. So on our last trip out to Twin my son-n-law drilled a 10" hole to fish, and about 1/2" next to it, he drilled an 8"hole for the Vex. When I cleaned it I noticed about a 2"X3" hole on the side connecting the 2 holes but about 6" down the 15" ice. Musta got squirrely with one of the augers. I told him I think he just drilled an illegal hole. I explained to him that the regs say 10" diameter and 10" sides max. if he measured in that one spot it would measure 18" side-side. So I had him fill them in and drill again this time 6" apart. Of course he was muttering something about "the feds being on time out so who's going to know." Gotta admit I took some pleasure in watching him re-drill....So was my interpretation of the regs right? or was I just being an old fart father-n-l that had to be right? Both? By the way he quickly got over it as he pulled 2 nice lakers out of the new hole in the first 5 minutes.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 10" Hole
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:17 AM »
I'm sorry but I've more important things to think about while ice fishing-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Back in my youth 30 years ago with my new 3hp Jiffy 10" I would see how big of a hole we could make at granby by drilling them on top of each other.. Only snow getting kicked in was when we where boozed up and booby trapping the area. Fresh hole with snow on top is almost invisible to the unsuspecting bystander  coming over to say howdy.

Offline Flies4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:29 PM »
I'm sorry but I've more important things to think about while ice fishing-
Lmao

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:11 PM »
I suppose the idea behind the 10" hole size is to minimize the opportunity for some knothead to step in one and become injured, sort of the prairie dog theory. Personally, I've never

met a Ranger enterprising enough to walk out there to see if you're following the regulations chapter and verse. Last week I came across a couple of holes about 2' by 5' that had

been cut probably for pike spearing which is not a legal method of take either. Remote part of the lake and they had frozen over but it shows what ideas people are capable of.

There is always some discussion on this forum about "Mickey Mouse" or cloverleaf holes for those anticipating catching a fish so massive it won't fit through an ordinary hole. You

may well be an old fart father-in-law and you're both right.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline BillFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:16 PM »
Back in my youth 30 years ago with my new 3hp Jiffy 10" I would see how big of a hole we could make at granby by drilling them on top of each other.. Only snow getting kicked in was when we where boozed up and booby trapping the area. Fresh hole with snow on top is almost invisible to the unsuspecting bystander  coming over to say howdy.

Why would you do such a thing?

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Why would you do such a thing?

One word... HOWDEE!   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline BillFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:31 PM »
One word... HOWDEE!   ;D

And someone coming over to say, 'Howdy' deserves this?

WTH?

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:35 PM »

WTH?
Never mind.  ::)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:24 PM »

WTH?

Bill, pretty sure he's kidding, Although Tom is Crazy :blink:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Don't mess with CrazyTom- he's done time in San Quentin-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Slayer you moron  ;D don't be slandering my good name

Offline BillFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Bill, pretty sure he's kidding, Although Tom is Crazy :blink:

I'm sure it was all in good fun.

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2019, 04:06 PM »
I suppose the idea behind the 10" hole size is to minimize the opportunity for some knothead to step in one and become injured, sort of the prairie dog theory. Personally, I've never

met a Ranger enterprising enough to walk out there to see if you're following the regulations chapter and verse. Last week I came across a couple of holes about 2' by 5' that had

been cut probably for pike spearing which is not a legal method of take either. Remote part of the lake and they had frozen over but it shows what ideas people are capable of.

There is always some discussion on this forum about "Mickey Mouse" or cloverleaf holes for those anticipating catching a fish so massive it won't fit through an ordinary hole. You

may well be an old fart father-in-law and you're both right.

Sorry didn't mean to abandon the post had to travel for a family emergency. Yea slayer, I'm proud to be that old fart! We did have a ranger at Tarryall checked us and had checked the holes my daughter and s-n-l had in the hut. they also had them reel up and checked what they were using for bait. I'm sure the comment my S-N-L made about them only sitting in the truck and not coming on to the ice didn't help.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2019, 04:28 PM »
They obviously had little else to do- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.