New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: NEW BAIT REGULATIONS  (Read 15206 times)

JJ

Re: NEW BAIT REGULATIONS
« Reply #120 on: Mar 23, 2007, 01:53 PM »
(4# test laker who doesn't use 4# test drifting the Niagara bar for lakers?)
Your argument is so persuasive that you felt you needed to comment on my avatar ??? how many people do you know that target lakers while ice fishing w/ 4 lb test and a 30" UL rod? I've never fished the Niagara Bar. My avatar is better than your's. ;D

bluegill basher's post pretty much sums up what has happened with bait prices.

JJ

« Reply #121 on: Mar 23, 2007, 02:00 PM »
All I can say is.......  LAWYERS

Yes, mother nature will do what it does, with or without our intervention.  Just remember that we also have a heavy dose of political conditions right now, unfortunately, and something MUST be done or else heads could roll, and that is something we can ill afford at this time.

In terms of the ballast waters - yes, you are 100% correct.  Everything we are trying to do in terms of protecting the natural resources, waters, fishes, lands, and wildlife semm pretty moot when the front door is wide open to trouble.

However, I must share with that no matter how much the DEC does, until the NYSDOT acts and secures the St Lawrence, or they close it completely, this challenge will persist.  The DEC has zero authority over the St Lawrence and the shipping.  Zero.
I agree completely, yet I keep seeing posts that say trying to prevent the spread of VHS is pointless, if nothing is done to stop ballast waters from being released. DEC is doing what it can to prevent the further spread of the virus. The main vector for transferrring VHS to inland waters will be man transporting contaminated fish to new waters, period. Nature is not taking it's own course here, we are seeing man's impact on nature.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #122 on: Mar 23, 2007, 02:18 PM »
I agree completely, yet I keep seeing posts that say trying to prevent the spread of VHS is pointless, if nothing is done to stop ballast waters from being released. DEC is doing what it can to prevent the further spread of the virus. The main vector for transferrring VHS to inland waters will be man transporting contaminated fish to new waters, period. Nature is not taking it's own course here, we are seeing man's impact on nature.
Well said!  That is very well said.  And very, very true.  Great post.
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #123 on: Mar 23, 2007, 02:21 PM »
Maybe Grannis is the source of this Pathogen? ::)Came from the liberal tree hugging cesspool bowels of NYC. ??? :o

JJ

« Reply #124 on: Mar 23, 2007, 02:31 PM »
Maybe Grannis is the source of this Pathogen? ::)Came from the liberal tree hugging cesspool bowels of NYC. ??? :o
Nice attempt at political satire, I think Andy Rooney's job is safe for now.

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #125 on: Mar 23, 2007, 02:38 PM »

Do we really have any proof that it is the bait bucket with certified minnows in it as the main spreader of VHS from lake to lake versus the fact that minnows swim and birds fly?
Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

JJ

« Reply #126 on: Mar 23, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Minnows can't swim over land and the possibility of birds spreading the disesase has yet to be studied, I believe. But if someone takes a bucket of infected minnows, drives across the state and dumps them in some body of water, transmission of VHS is highly likely. This is also the one vector that we have control over.

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #127 on: Mar 23, 2007, 03:02 PM »
Minnows can't swim over land and the possibility of birds spreading the disesase has yet to be studied, I believe. But if someone takes a bucket of infected minnows, drives across the state and dumps them in some body of water, transmission of VHS is highly likely. This is also the one vector that we have control over.

Yep I agree with half the statement but tiny streams flowing from lake to lake are there also for minnows to swim through and the DEC has addressed the issue in regards to bait stores selling certified bait!! The micromanaging of the rule with 7 day receipts and limits is the sticky point with me(as if ya couldn't tell). There will always be outlaws catching their own bait and using them wherever the like so go after them and not punish certified minnow users like myself who don't like wasting money\baitfish on a weekly basis!! I still cant imagine throwing out Pike minnows at $10\doz. >:D
Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

JJ

« Reply #128 on: Mar 23, 2007, 03:16 PM »
I think we all agree the 7 day rule for receipts is absurd, my personal opinion is that only certified bait should be sold. Unfortunately, too many people that live near the VHS contamination areas wanted to be able to use bait from contaminated waters; some wanted to sell it, too. So when the latest VHS emergency Regs came out, this part was added, but also required receipts to be issued to be enforcable. Remember this is a work in process and DEC needs input from fisherman regarding permanent regs.
FYI, not all waterways are connected by tiny streams; the term watershed refers to connected waters. DEC has addressed this with the term: "tributaries upstream to the first barrier impassible by fish."

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #129 on: Mar 23, 2007, 03:26 PM »
I think we all agree the 7 day rule for receipts is absurd, my personal opinion is that only certified bait should be sold. Unfortunately, too many people that live near the VHS contamination areas wanted to be able to use bait from contaminated waters; some wanted to sell it, too. So when the latest VHS emergency Regs came out, this part was added, but also required receipts to be issued to be enforcable. Remember this is a work in process and DEC needs input from fisherman regarding permanent regs.
FYI, not all waterways are connected by tiny streams; the term watershed refers to connected waters. DEC has addressed this with the term: "tributaries upstream to the first barrier impassible by fish."
Correct you are!  And the problemos with this stuff, well, our region will assume responsibility for that one.  Lake Erie has been a huge bait factory for our folks here.

I, too, think the 7 day rule is absurd.  Nothing to stop an unethical angler to use up his bait, day one, then go and dip a ton of them the next day, or subsequent days and transport them around on that receipt.

The honor system works when we have honorable people.  Another classic case of the masses paying for the bad apples.
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

JJ

« Reply #130 on: Mar 23, 2007, 03:30 PM »
The honor system would be great, look at all the rules we must follow when hunting and fishing that are designed to make poaching more difficult.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #131 on: Mar 24, 2007, 07:43 AM »
Question : can VHS survive on a dry surface or has that been studied ?
Reason I ask is , say a bait shop has sold bait infected with VHS and ran out of those minnows and restocked with certified minnows . Wouldn't this pass the virus to the new minnows therefore continue the VHS cycle ?
I haven't seen or heard of any suggestions for the average fisherman or bait dealer on how to properly clean their tanks or bait buckets to prevent this .
I'm sure it's common sense but is there a recommended practice for this ?
Second question : Are the storage tanks in shops checked for VHS ? What stops the dishonest dealer from throwing in a few of his self caught minnows into his certified stock to avoid more costly certified minnows ?
Not saying that this happens but there is always the chance and maybe it's something that should be considered .

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #132 on: Mar 24, 2007, 08:05 AM »
As mentioned earlier with waterfowl yes it has been studied and mechanically it is possible for the birds to transmit the disease from water to water. Digesting and then excreting has not shown any negative effects.
Mr.Esox

JJ

« Reply #133 on: Mar 24, 2007, 11:50 AM »
I'm pretty sure once a shop sells uncertified minnows, they can't go back to selling certified ones.

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Mar 24, 2007, 05:29 PM »
I have 2 questions..

1. Are you liable if you are not given a receipt at the bait store?

2. What about the vending machines that sell fat heads and niagras? you obviously cant get a receipt there either.

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #135 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:38 AM »
can we still net bait out of oneida for use in oneida? thank you.

Offline bingsbaits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Mar 25, 2007, 06:25 AM »
You must get a receipt you are liable...I think what they are striving for as far as collecting bait yourself they want it used exclusively in the body of water in which it was caught..
Don't Pi$$ down my back and tell me it's raining!!!

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #137 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:13 AM »
For those that don't know there is public commemt allowed on this new regulation here is the Url:[email protected]    Proposed parts 10,35,188 (VHS ) Regulations
Mr.Esox

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:33 AM »
I believe the DEC should be concentrating their efforts,to enforce certified bait regs,to inland waters that are not infected with VHS.The damage has been done to Lake Erie and the Niagara River.As it always is,it is easier for Regulatory agencies to be reactive rather than proactive when it comes to enforcing regulations that are already in place.Simply put,BIG money wins,Big Corporations win,us average Joes pay the price!!!!!!etc,etc,etc,etc...............Some things will never change.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.