New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ALMOST LOST MY BEST PAL  (Read 4173 times)

MikeThePike

Re: ALMOST LOST MY BEST PAL
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2006, 03:54 PM »
I am glad to hear that your buddy was able to get out of his awful situation. Don't depend on anyone, learn how to get out if you do go through. I fell through Honeoye last year when there was 12"s of good ice. I was maybe 75yrds from two other guys, they pointed to me and then spun their buckets around. I was easily able to get out of the hole, I collected my things and thought long and hard as to what I should say, or more than likely do to those two guys that just turned their backs on a fellow human in need. I decided that they weren't worth any more of my time and headed for the truck. So always be prepaired to save yourself.

I'm glad I never met a fellow icefisherman that would have done that. Thats just plain messed up that they didn't try to help/ atleast see if you were OK.

I've seen it all to many times before with guys using spuds. I've been fishing with a 10" hole this year and it never seems to amaze me how the guys with spuds feel the need to make them bigger. I've found holes over 15" that I could have fell thru and I'm not a small guy. Even with big pike/ muskies, you're not gonna catch something you need a 15" hole for.

If I see people spuding holes that big I'll remind em of the laws and why they are in place and if they feel the need to think I'm joking I'll make sure they are reported. Just because u r an a** doesn't mean u should potentially put others lives in danger.

Offline bigcatch81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Glad to hear John is ok Iceballs. I have fished many of times by myself. But I had a dream when ice first came this year. It involved me falling in and couldnt get out. My biggest mistake was telling my wife about it because now she wont let me go out unless I have someone to go with. The last thing i would want to do is leave my wife and my daughter behind because i was being stupid or not being safe. Everyone, just try to be safe and tightlines.

Bigcatch81

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Glad everything worked out for you. Take care of your friends the best you can and they will do the same for you. Just thank god he is still here for you to threaten.

Offline flagnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 19, 2006, 06:53 PM »
I hope your friend is OK.I would be shock up to.Good luck ice fishing

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:41 PM »
We all know "The Rules" for safe ice fishing.  Mostly we obey them --- sometimes we try to beat the system!
My buddy John and I grew up together in the Bronx, since we were about 10 yrs old.  We've been ice fishing together since we were about 20..... That's 46 years of ice fishing!!!
John owns a small Summer home in Sullivan county, on a small pond called Boden Lake.  We have ice fished there together countless times over the years.
This weekend, John went up there alone...... he was fishing for about two hours when he finally encountered the EXTRA LARGE hole that some thoughtless angler had cut in the ice with a spud, probably a day or two before.  The hole had skimmed-over and then a blanket of snow, about an inch thick had fallen, removing any trace of the hole from sight.
JOHN WENT IN, RIGHT UP TO HIS ARMPITS, IN 15 FT. OF WATER, WITH NOBODY IN SIGHT TO HELP HIM.
He said to me last night: " I thought to myself in the first few minutes: Is this the way I'm going to die???"
He doesn't know himself how he managed to get back up on the ice, but (Thank GOD) he did!  He had no ice picks with him!
I don't know how strongly I believed in GOD before now, but I know for sure that someone was watching over my pal on Sunday!!
I TOLD JOHN THAT IF HE EVER WENT ICE FISHING WITHOUT ME AGAIN, I WOULD KILL HIM MYSELF!!!
The Moral of this story ------  NEVER, EVER, FISH ALONE!!!!!

A Very Grateful ICEBALLS

i also fell in a hole late season.it could have been an 8" hole that opened up from the sun and warm weather.i had just drilled a hole and stepped back and went in.there was a covering of snow i did not see.i broke my leg in two places and limped off the ice dragging my sled.i was all alone. >:(

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2006, 01:05 AM »
I know you aren't supposed to go out by yourself, but I find myself in a position to do so mor often than not. Niether my family nor friends are into the outdoors like I am, so it's not an easy task getting them out there much. And that's during nice weather...lol In the winter, FORGET IT!! So, I make due and head out by myself. However, I would NEVER go to a new body of water or any that I was questionable about by myself. When I do so, I go to places that a) I'm 99% sure will have thick solid ice and b) where although not directly with me, I know there will be other people around. One of my necessities in my sled is a 50' length of 1/2" rope...'just in case'. I have never needed it and I hope that I never do, but it in a comfort factor knowing that it is there if needed. My mutt goes with me, but he's no lassey, so I don't think he'd bring me the rope on command and then pull my butt out...lol

Offline Tom Leitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Get big on self rescue!  I've been through 4 times and pulled myself out each time with my picks.  2 years ago my partner and I had to pull an old fella out at Sodus Bay. If I had not had my float suit, he probably would not have made it!
Play safe!

You have been through 4 times! 
Please heed your own advice and play safe.

Offline skunkedbywalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • come on baby
« Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2006, 06:22 PM »
Gotta say fella's--the ice in recent years has not been that great. going out alone is very questionable to say the least. I jus ordered a Mustang jacket and I already feel a little more comfy going into this year. The cost is outrageous but it might save your life and they will last 10 years or more. Let's go ice god's :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.