New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Big bay. Oneida lake.  (Read 13822 times)

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
Re: Big bay. Oneida lake.
« Reply #60 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:31 PM »
thats  true   except    any  sign  would  be  torn   down  this  is  a  town  owned   culvert  pipe   between  to  parcels  of  land  ,  and  the  people  using  this   right  of  way  are   paying  another   land  owner  to  park  ,  this   debate  has  gone  on  for  years  and  the  town  always  has  backed  the  fisherman  ...  the  problem  is    this   land  owner  has  some  honest  complaints  ....  like  the  noise   like  the  trash  and  like   the   wood   being  used  ....  interesting  note  the  DEC  uses   this  access  to  get  on  the  water  also  .....  as   sportssmen  if  we  want  it  to  stay  open   ...  we  have  to  pick  up  after  the  slops  we  have  to  tell  people  hey  keep  it   down  !   we  have  to  police  it  a  little  you  see  the  mans  wood   moved  put  it  back  or  at  least  knock  on  his  door  and  offer  to  help!

...actually think I should have said hear hear!!!
                    :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Murf 20 .... I was there all day did not see any one get wet?????

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:08 PM »
thats  true   except    any  sign  would  be  torn   down  this  is  a  town  owned   culvert  pipe   between  to  parcels  of  land  ,  and  the  people  using  this   right  of  way  are   paying  another   land  owner  to  park  ,  this   debate  has  gone  on  for  years  and  the  town  always  has  backed  the  fisherman  ...  the  problem  is    this   land  owner  has  some  honest  complaints  ....  like  the  noise   like  the  trash  and  like   the   wood   being  used  ....  interesting  note  the  DEC  uses   this  access  to  get  on  the  water  also  .....  as   sportssmen  if  we  want  it  to  stay  open   ...  we  have  to  pick  up  after  the  slops  we  have  to  tell  people  hey  keep  it   down  !   we  have  to  police  it  a  little  you  see  the  mans  wood   moved  put  it  back  or  at  least  knock  on  his  door  and  offer  to  help!
Just like the Amish Mafia!  :woot: :roflmao: @)  Wasssup Trap!?
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Murf 20 .... I was there all day did not see any one get wet?????
I believe this happened tonight at dark

Offline dgriff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:53 PM »
My friend is one of the guys that took a dip tonight. Think twice about going out, they are lucky. This guy is a die hard ice fisherman and he said he will not be back anytime soon.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 06, 2013, 01:03 AM »
Just like the Amish Mafia!  :woot: :roflmao: @)  Wasssup Trap!?
Go see Lebanon Levi.....  He'll send John on his scooter, get to Oneida around April 1. ;D

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 06, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Go see Lebanon Levi.....  He'll send John on his scooter, get to Oneida around April 1. ;D
LMAO!!  :roflmao:

Offline walleyeking62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:28 AM »
anyone fishing oneida/   new user,dont know what the hell im doin

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:46 PM »
So....... Is BB still a mine field of crap ice like before the warm up????? Have Monday afternoon free and the kids are out of school and I wanted to get them out with the new shack and chase some pickerel. Only got my oldest out once so far this season and my middle one is really chomping at the bit to get out fishing but I'm not going to take them out there if they're going to end up swimming. I know...I know....." Go burn some gas and check the ice for yourself". And I will once I get there but if its still scketchy I would rather save myself the pissed off kids in the car when we get there and I don't feel comfortable taking them out on it and we don't have time then to find somewhere else for the afternoon.

Offline bluegillking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • dial 911 this is a biggin!!!!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:53 PM »
emtorn, the ice at big bay is fine there where many people there today. ice thickness 4-6 inch's. good luck and have fun

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:07 PM »
emtorn, the ice at big bay is fine there where many people there today. ice thickness 4-6 inch's. good luck and have fun

Thanks

Offline iceman70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:29 PM »
is anyone getting any pike out of big bay?

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:40 AM »
So....... Is BB still a mine field of crap ice like before the warm up????? Have Monday afternoon free and the kids are out of school and I wanted to get them out with the new shack and chase some pickerel. Only got my oldest out once so far this season and my middle one is really chomping at the bit to get out fishing but I'm not going to take them out there if they're going to end up swimming. I know...I know....." Go burn some gas and check the ice for yourself". And I will once I get there but if its still scketchy I would rather save myself the pissed off kids in the car when we get there and I don't feel comfortable taking them out on it and we don't have time then to find somewhere else for the afternoon.
If your after pickerel and worried about the ice, you might try some of the smaller madison co lakes, like tuscarora, deruyter, or lake moraine..all have lots of pickerel and probably more ice, check the small water madison co thread.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:54 AM »
If your after pickerel and worried about the ice, you might try some of the smaller madison co lakes, like tuscarora, deruyter, or lake moraine..all have lots of pickerel and probably more ice, check the small water madison co thread.

Planned to go that way but now have to work Sunday night so will be taking a quick nap till maybe noon and then have to pack up the gear and the kids. To drive an hour to a Madison county lake will eat into the already small window of fishing time I've got that day. BB is maybe 20 min for me.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #74 on: Jan 20, 2013, 01:03 PM »
a guy lost two pole on big bay. check out his post  :)

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:19 PM »
Any ice left on Big Bay after all of this wind?? :'(
It'll eat.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Thinking BB with the kids tomorrow is prob out after this wind today. Anyone have eyes on the bay this eve?? Did it get beat up like the rest of the lake??

Offline dward

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Hi Guys,

We're a couple hours away from the lake but usually stay on the West End.  Is River Rat still in business?  I see the website is no longer valid.  Any news would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline dward

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Thanks KP.  We're there all spring/summer each year but never got up on the hardwater last season.  Had a good day the year before until the engine on sled locked up.  Hope we can join you all again this season.  We like the deeper areas off the North Shore and West towards the Islands so we will wait it out and see.  Will go back to Rick then for bait like we always have.  RR was convenient the one time that we stayed just South of Central Square.  Thanks again.

Offline jhirsche

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • An Oneida man!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:06 AM »
Gonna be slushy out there today boys.  We got 2 feet of snow last night in Toad Harbor / Big Bay area.  Be careful and give us a new report today..

Offline jtf19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Okay, after reading through all the pages I am still sort of confused as to where is best to access BB. I'm coming from Rochester and have never fished it before and am not familiar with the area so would anyone be able to post or pm me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  :tipup:
-Jeff

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Anybody have any reports from today on the bay ???
It'll eat.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Okay, after reading through all the pages I am still sort of confused as to where is best to access BB. I'm coming from Rochester and have never fished it before and am not familiar with the area so would anyone be able to post or pm me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  :tipup:
-Jeff

PM sent

Offline Esox on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:42 PM »
big bay is beat

Offline fathead359

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 22, 2013, 05:23 AM »
 :(