New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otsego lake  (Read 11366 times)

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: otsego lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:03 AM »
thanks for the help

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:44 PM »
bigjim223 did you catch anything ice fishing ???

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:31 PM »
By the time I got loaded up, it was pouring rain! 21 degrees and it froze to everything! Never even left the drive way, though I did let my truck warm up- 25 minutes and still had thick ice on the windows! Rained hard for about3 hours, then changed over to sleet for a couple hours. Everything around here is ice coated. My dogs won't even leave the house, too slippery out there!

Just can't catch a break on the weather...... :(

BIGJim223

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:24 PM »
should be better on the weekend

Offline adksavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:13 AM »
BigJim... Sorry you didn't get out yesterday. What a terrible day it turned out to be. They are saying it's going to get really cold over the weekend. Below zero. Hope things lock up good and you get out. :clap: Looking at trying your lake this Sunday. We'll keep an eye out for ya!
I'll be dragging my Otter lodge out and there will be a couple clam shanty's... drop on by!
Oh by the way, thanks for the west lot tip. :bow: :bow: You can limit right out on "Rock" bass.  :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:18 PM »
been there a cople times on the lake were is the west lot :tipup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:20 PM »
been there a cople times on the lake were is the west lot :tipup:

In Glimmerglass state park, it is the lot all the way at the end of the road, before the hill to the Hyde house.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:32 PM »
ive been following most of these post because i live in herkimer and have been to glimmerglass many of times in the summer. Bigjim u do a great job with the info on this lake. Was wondering what i might catch fishing the bay off glimmerglass not to far out? any info would be a big help. Also wouldnt mind meeting some of u guys up there for a little get 2gether to meet some new fishermen

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:34 PM »
You'll catch perch and if you set your tip up just below the ice, an occasional brown trout.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Was wondering what i might catch fishing the bay off glimmerglass not to far out?

Perch, Pickerel, Brown Trout, Small Mouth Bass, Maybe a Landlocked Salmon or......... ::) That's the great thing about Otsego........ you never know.

I used to jig up great big Spottail Shiner's in the Bay on Perch jigs and use them on tip ups for Browns and Salmon. The same with Smelt off of the Fill.

Be careful out there. Still early for this lake anymore!

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2011, 06:56 PM »
what depth off glimmerglass do you have to fish for lake trout :icefish: :tipup:

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:02 PM »
takes a long walk out of glimmerglass to get to deeper water, but i'm saying you can't get lakers in the shallows. ;)

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:20 PM »
anybody catching any lakers at 3 mile point

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:37 PM »
probably if they can stay on top of the ice..... ::)

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:21 PM »
anybody catching any lakers at 3 mile point

Nope!

Another fisherman went through today, though! caught himself with his arm pits, dragged himself out somehow. My buddy (who was fishing way in from where this happened) said the guy left his bucket, tip ups, tackle, and a 12 pack sitting out there and told my buddy it was all his if he wanted it! He said he wasn't going out there, not worth it.
My friend was fishing in 120 FOW and marking fish on the bottom, but could not get them to bite. He also had a run of fish in the 30 foot depth, they would not bite either. He's going to the north end tomorrow!
Check the Conditions Board to read about my trip this morning.

BIGJim223

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:24 PM »
I don't want to sound like an a** but seems as if the village needs to close the gate to 3 mile before someone goes in and doesn't come out!

Offline lakearch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • LAKEARCH
« Reply #46 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:27 AM »

WENT OUT LAST SUNDAY MORNING AND NO ONE WAS THERE. MINUS 2 AT 6:30. I FISHED OTSEGO SINCE IT WAS OPEN ALL YEAR AND BECAUSE OF THE SNOW IT IS NOT SAFE ICE.  WAS NOT GOING TO BE THE FIRST PERSON OUT BUT DID CUT A FEW HOLES 50 FEET OUT AND GOT ABOUT 4 INCHES.  NOT FOR ME. MAYBE THIS WEEKEND.
PS   THE STATE SHOULD POST SOME SIGNS.  WOULD BE GREAT.

Offline shmob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • catch&release into the grease
« Reply #47 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:52 PM »
ice is about 2 inches of  black with 3 inches of snow,some slush areas.left off north end headed to 100 foot of water.no fish on vex.picked up some perch near shore about 5 inch long.
more spikes please

Offline Shannon Nichols

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Just got back from 3 mile point what a mess. About 50ft out there was plenty of ice 4 inches but alot of water on top with the snow. Then i got about 50 yards out and my foot went through the snow then water then thin ice right into open water. I could feel more ice beaking as i was running off the lake. lost my box of spoons. the ice looks solid in the coves, but i want lakers. We need some colder weather before the ice is safe. Looks like its back to millbrook for rainbows!!

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:14 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :o :o ;D ;D your in the wrong spot :icefish: :icefish: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:08 PM »
another guy through today off three mile thickness seems to vary quite a bit  put a rant on conditions board just hate to see someone get hurt and i know ice is never totally safe just wish i didnt see kids out quite yet use your heads guys  the kids prolly have the advantage they dont weigh as much stay on top !!!

Offline mlake4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:17 PM »
I am 6 foot 4 and 315Lbs and i went out on 3 mile on thursday, scariest time ive ever been on the ice, my friends went in to his knees and hes about 230Lbs... will not be goin back for atleast a week and a half :o

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:35 PM »
I am 6 foot 4 and 315Lbs and i went out on 3 mile on thursday, scariest time ive ever been on the ice, my friends went in to his knees and hes about 230Lbs... will not be goin back for atleast a week and a half :o

Glad you guys are OK! You won't see me out there until it freezes way better, if it ever does!

BIGJim223

Offline Snowrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Why do we need goverment to get involved to tell people that ice is dangerous?

Offline irotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:36 PM »
i think the fish will wait, not worth a life. be safe

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:26 PM »
I would hope that ice fishermen were intelligent enough to understand lakes such as the deeper the lake the longer it takes to freeze (example OTSEGO), underwater springs that cause thin ice, being aware that streams entering lakes cause thin ice etc...  No, we don't need more laws in NY State, we're regulated to death as it is, just read the fishing regulations for NY to see what I'm saying.  What we do need is for everybody to be educated enough to do their homework in advance and be responsible for their own actions...  geez, must be my age here that makes me want to preach...  :-\
Leave it better than you found it

Offline shmob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • catch&release into the grease
« Reply #56 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:10 PM »
back from otsego today sunday.first day i have been skunked this season.ice will not get any better with that snow,slush cover on two -three inches of good ice.a man told me today he seen a guy loose his wheeler in the north end yesterday.
more spikes please

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Anybody who's not familiar with this lake or didn't see the freeze pattern aka "what parts froze up first", would be well advised to read Big Jim's posts in their entirety. He has given the best reports that I have seen for Otsego.

This lake is no Gilly pond, you make a mistake out here it could well be your last  :nono:

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:28 PM »
well you guys need to stay sharp lake is deep and has a lot of springs stay on top

Offline Shannon Nichols

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I knew i was not the only wet foot if anyone was in the parking lot sat about 6am you seen the guy that went all the way and was freezing before our eyes. First hole i drilled was scary. i did manage to land a 28 inch pig, but then while pulling a tip op out at the end of the day i started to fall through again had to roll away. How do i upload my photo's? I do have a pic of a record laker from otsego from 2005 that still holds the record under my name. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.