New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What's up with Round Lake?  (Read 13503 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What's up with Round Lake?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:27 PM »
I too grew up fishing round lake, both open water and ice fishing. I lived in the village until I graduated college, however I have not fished there in years, really since got a car (I am 31 now) and could fish much more productive waters. We caught plenty of fish open water when you could cover a lot of ground. We never had a lot of luck as far as ice fishing. My buddy did catch a 36" tiger when we were in 6th grade that made the newspapers! It was a pretty awesome fish seeing we had just started and he was fishing by himself! I have seen some huge northerns caught both open and ice fishing.
As far as the public access the town has been moving to a very conservative side since I was in grade school. There have been a lot of people that did not grow up in the town move in and they did not like some of the things that went on there. They did not like people having races on the lake so they posted the launch. We used to drink our faces of on the abandon railroad tracks in high school that really pissed people off, but we did not hurt anyone. However they did impose a curfew to try to stop us from being out past 9 pm.  Basically my point is the town in ultra sensitive. I do not have positive opinions about the town anymore, including the elected officials, who have been there for YEARS! I have asked my friend who still lives in the town to weigh in.
Just my two cents!
Mark

your name sounds really familier. I grew up in round lake and so didnt my grand parents.

Do the Wagers or Robichaud's ring a bell?? We lived on washington ave/wood road on the back side of the village.

Offline markus6898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:31 PM »
pm sent.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:33 PM »
    SS, I do agree with most of what you said. Many days have been spent here on this lake on the ice. Still cannot figure out why no smaller pike can be caught. I have a feeling the small ones get eaten up.
                    As for those 2 shantys, one is mine and the other is my sons. Yes a few years ago we did really well, not keeping any fish but getting a good one almost every time out. This year, bass only, except for that really good one last sat. Anyway, we will keep hanging in there, waiting for that 20 pound tiger that we know lurks there in the swamp.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:57 PM »
I too like/hate round lake.
I've pulled some monster bass out of the icehole there. I've too caught some nice bass in the open water. All the crappie I've caught have been dinks and the perch too, the main inlet creek has tons of little gills that are fun to play with on the open water and I've even been lucky enough to tangle with a nice 36" NP out of the creek a few falls ago on a little 2" grub while panfishing, what a rush that was. It pulled line all the way from the bridge off Rt. 9 to the mouth of the creek where it dumps into the lake, what a rush. It was a stormy fall day and I had to chase up the creek this pike as it jumped out of the water the whole way there.
Round Lake is a rough lake, but there will always be a place in my heart to her.
I just wish the town and the people that live along the lake would get their heads out of their *** and fix the boat launch and take better care of this little gem.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:33 PM »
   SS, I do agree with most of what you said. Many days have been spent here on this lake on the ice. Still cannot figure out why no smaller pike can be caught. I have a feeling the small ones get eaten up.
                    As for those 2 shantys, one is mine and the other is my sons. Yes a few years ago we did really well, not keeping any fish but getting a good one almost every time out. This year, bass only, except for that really good one last sat. Anyway, we will keep hanging in there, waiting for that 20 pound tiger that we know lurks there in the swamp.

I saw some guys out to the one shanty today on a quad near the little round lake inlet. Any chance you will be around this weekend? Im thinking I might go Solo early early saturday morning and spend most my day out there. If your around I wouldnt mind swinging by to say whats up.

that big tiger is in there. There are a few. they are not dumb and know what they want. I have actually seen baby ducks dissapear from the surface in that lake...

and early fall I found a freshly dead 36"+ northern in the thick weeds. I netted him, and pulled him in the boat. Couldn't figure out how the hell he died. He was flawless. Not a mark on him.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:35 PM »

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:41 PM »
I too like/hate round lake.
I've pulled some monster bass out of the icehole there. I've too caught some nice bass in the open water. All the crappie I've caught have been dinks and the perch too, the main inlet creek has tons of little gills that are fun to play with on the open water and I've even been lucky enough to tangle with a nice 36" NP out of the creek a few falls ago on a little 2" grub while panfishing, what a rush that was. It pulled line all the way from the bridge off Rt. 9 to the mouth of the creek where it dumps into the lake, what a rush. It was a stormy fall day and I had to chase up the creek this pike as it jumped out of the water the whole way there.
Round Lake is a rough lake, but there will always be a place in my heart to her.
I just wish the town and the people that live along the lake would get their heads out of their *** and fix the boat launch and take better care of this little gem.

my father owns a landscaping company and I work with him. I will see what I can do about the boat launch. I dont have a problem launching my 16' triton, but it still is tricky. the problem is turning off route 9, into the parking lot. It needs some excavating.

as far as crappie, I have caught 12" crappie out of round lake on double jointed rapala's. I have also caught pertch on spinner baits! LOL. I have netted Shad, and seen massive eels come out of that lake. There is some weird things going on in there. I have even heard such bogus stories about gars coming up from the river and being in there haha!

I have also caught some pretty big large mouths out of little round lake. Never seen a toothy come out of there, but my father knows a guy that lives on little round lake that has a pontoon boat set up with down riggers and what not strictly for trolling for muskies. Last year he caught a 46" tiger on a 10" shad wrap 12 feet down, in 16' of water.

I am not sure how accurate fish finders are, but when I am in little round lake trolling, the fish finder us loaded with fish.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:59 PM »
I've also ice'd an eel a few years back and my buddy had caught a shad. They must get in from the Hudson river and end up traveling all the way up. They would have to get thru then they bust up the beaver dams down stream. Also have caught a few fallfish in there, back down the outlet creek.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:03 AM »
I've also ice'd an eel a few years back and my buddy had caught a shad. They must get in from the Hudson river and end up traveling all the way up. They would have to get thru then they bust up the beaver dams down stream. Also have caught a few fallfish in there, back down the outlet creek.

fallfish??? nevermind. I just googled them. I have caught them in the inlet stream, and outlet but I just thought they were large creek chubs..

these shad are one reason in why I think the big tigers are so hard to catch. I am a firm believer that the large muskies in this lake tend to feed on the monster suckers and shad.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2011, 02:57 AM »
yes the lake has some nice fish, had some nice fish, seen some nasty fish kills on the lake.
Seem lots of fingerling tigers litter the banks before and plenty of panfish kills on the lake.

But have had some fun on the ice there too, like 5-6 years ago.

All C.P.R. (catch,picture,release)

just a taste of the few that were iced and released.  :tipup:  ;D

And to tell the truth, my buddies have had awesome days on the ice while the races were going on. All the racing must push the fish around due to the noise, all the better for the ones in the right areas.  ;)

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:32 AM »
bass, yes we get alot of big ones in winter, but we are fishin for pike, nice to get some action with bass tho.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:36 AM »
hey ss, we were there on wen, at the little green shanty. Sorry we will not be there on sat, hittin a dif. place on another lake, but anytrime you see us out there stop by.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:11 AM »
Fish'n, you definitely have some nice bass there. Its nice to see people that know what they are doing and catching big fish like that, only to release them...thats what that lake needs.

sadly, I wish it was that way for the tigers, but its not.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:14 AM »
hey ss, we were there on wen, at the little green shanty. Sorry we will not be there on sat, hittin a dif. place on another lake, but anytrime you see us out there stop by.

sounds good.

also, I use to be one of those guys on my quad out there racing around but I currently have it apart to fix my 5th gear shift fork, so I havent been on the ice yet haha....but my quad was the loudest one out there...it makes since about the quads pushing fish around tho.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:00 PM »
lakerman, you going to be out this weekend? im thinking about going out sunday at day break.

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:49 AM »
I have a camp up north and the state stocks it with tigers.I,ll bet half die the first week judge by the amount on the shore line.We have not seen any big ones come out the lake in a lot of years.There was a time when 40" fish were caught.I'll have to try round this spring.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:03 AM »
hey trimm,

i was told they do not stock it any more, in 5 years or so, however, why then, in the past 3 years at this time of year are we catching 10 to 14 inch tigers, not pike but tigers for sure. Where are they coming from that size now ? Also why did the fish die aftere being stocked, mishandeled, maybe.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:04 AM »
sorry, i was thinking you had a camp on round, you may not be able to answer my question

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:33 AM »
The lake we are on they stock 1900  8.5 inch tigers every year or two.If round is the same maybe there growth rate is slow to the point they have just reached that 14-15" range.I think that is unlikely but I guess anything is possible.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:37 AM »
hey trimm,

i was told they do not stock it any more, in 5 years or so, however, why then, in the past 3 years at this time of year are we catching 10 to 14 inch tigers, not pike but tigers for sure. Where are they coming from that size now ? Also why did the fish die aftere being stocked, mishandeled, maybe.

they havent stocked round lake since 2001.....

so, if you are catching actual tigers that are anything under 25" out of round lake, they are natural. It has been proven that after time with a pike of tiger muskies, and a high population of northerns, they can mate. That would be amazing if that is actually happening in round lake. Who knows. Maybe thats why they stopped stocking it?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:40 AM »
The lake we are on they stock 1900  8.5 inch tigers every year or two.If round is the same maybe there growth rate is slow to the point they have just reached that 14-15" range.I think that is unlikely but I guess anything is possible.

I was at round lake the last year they stocked them (2001).

the tigers they were stocking the lake with were between 12" and 18". I caught about 75 of them, and released them right after.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:23 AM »
was told by a very good source that they do still stock them, or should say they are now again. The state will not say so because of the kill when stocking them in past, that people saw. Dead on shore.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:57 AM »
was told by a very good source that they do still stock them, or should say they are now again. The state will not say so because of the kill when stocking them in past, that people saw. Dead on shore.

makes since then why you are catching small ones.

its disgusting that people kill fish for fun.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:12 PM »
I meant the dead ones found on shore after stocking, was topld by alot of folks up there that alot die after stocked, they see them.

Offline eplank88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:50 AM »

Caught this little guy two years ago on Round Lake. It's probably about the size they stock them at, so i would agree that 2001 was not the last year they stocked Round with tigermuskies.

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:47 AM »
The survival rate most not be very high.You would think more would be caught if they are putting 2000 fish into a lake(lincoln pond) every year or two for 10 plus years.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:17 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Caught this little guy two years ago on Round Lake. It's probably about the size they stock them at, so i would agree that 2001 was not the last year they stocked Round with tigermuskies.

thats a grass pickeral/redfine pickeral.

the local ponds and round lake have a good number of them....
http://www.hooked-in.com/catches/show/9589

the head is too short and stubby, fins are red, has too dark of markings etc. That fish is as far away from a tiger muskie as they come in the pike family.

besides, I have been at the lake when they stock it, and they stock them 12-18".

here is a comparison pic to the fish you caught above...

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:11 AM »
fished round forever, never got a pickeral of any kind. If they were there, we would be getting alot of them. Thats a small tiger, I think.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 26, 2011, 12:26 AM »
fished round forever, never got a pickeral of any kind. If they were there, we would be getting alot of them. Thats a small tiger, I think.

The inlet stream is LOADED with pickeral. I use to walk down the middle of it when I was younger and net them. One day in the spring, just park at the bridge and take a little walk along it. You will see them take off everywhere...

and round lake is listed for having pickerel in it...

red fin pickerel dont even get 12" full grown. This is why you dont catch any. They are pretty much just a food source in round lake. I can promise you 110%, that fish posted above is NOT a tiger muskie. It looks absolutely nothing like the ones they were stocking.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:07 PM »
this isnt me, but this is a baby tiger muskie caught out of the Mohawk.

this is what ever single small tiger muskies look like in round lake. This is the size they stock the lake with. You can CLEARLY see there is a BIG difference from this one to the red tail pickeral from above...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.