New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Harriman and Sterling Forest State Parks  (Read 14700 times)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Harriman and Sterling Forest State Parks
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:41 PM »
i will post the open lakes as they become fishable. (opened by the park)

4 corners pond- sterling forest.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Harriman and Sterling Forest State Parks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Pooley ,Thanks I was just thinking about this very thing,let me know maybe we can get a trip going
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:53 PM »
i will set up a few gatherings this year.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:49 PM »
i will post the open lakes as they become fishable. (opened by the park)

4 corners pond- sterling forest.
Is Sterling open now?

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:55 AM »
i called them yesterday & they said to call back friday morning about the lakes in harriman. as reported 4 corners pond in sterling forrest was the only one opened as of yesterday. walt

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:58 AM »
I will update daily.

Offline Bell King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:42 PM »
I will update daily.

Thanks a lot for doing this!

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Sterling has Eagle Pond, Blue Lake, and Four Corners Pond open.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Sterling has Eagle Pond, Blue Lake, and Four Corners Pond open.
eagle lake is another mudpuddle, but i will check tomorrow on blue lake. i didn't check today. :-\

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2010, 10:40 PM »
eagle lake is another mudpuddle, but i will check tomorrow on blue lake. i didn't check today. :-\
Is blue lake worth a try for walleye?

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2010, 01:55 AM »
there is supposed to be walleye in the lake but i have never seen or heard of anyone getting any out of there.walt

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2010, 03:43 AM »
Back when what is now Sterling Forest State Park was private property under the direction of the Sterling Forest Corp.(you paid a yearly fee to fish) walleye were stocked in Blue Lake even then the number caught or should I say reported and talked about were low.A friend of mine is one of the few people I known with photographic proof of a walleye catch .(a seven pound beauty) This was in the late 1980's I do not think NY. state has ever stocked walleye in Blue Lake there could be a few naturally reproducing fish left.
  Eagle Lake as Pooley says is a small lake it was drawn down a few year back to repair it's spillway I do not know if it ever was restocked. At one time it was a hot lake for chain pickerel on tip ups >my personal best chain pickerel is from Eagle Lake (25 inches).
  I would think the northern most of the Laurel Meadows ponds should be open it is another mud puddle to quote Pooley. My thanks also Pooley for your updates on lakes open for fishing.
  If you do not want to wait for Pooley's reports the phone number for the Sterling Forest visitor's center is (845-351-5907)

Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2010, 04:32 AM »
blue lake is open, but no walleye. no other lake have been opened, except eagle lake, and 4 corners pond.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Back when what is now Sterling Forest State Park was private property under the direction of the Sterling Forest Corp.(you paid a yearly fee to fish) walleye were stocked in Blue Lake even then the number caught or should I say reported and talked about were low.A friend of mine is one of the few people I known with photographic proof of a walleye catch .(a seven pound beauty) This was in the late 1980's I do not think NY. state has ever stocked walleye in Blue Lake there could be a few naturally reproducing fish left.
  Eagle Lake as Pooley says is a small lake it was drawn down a few year back to repair it's spillway I do not know if it ever was restocked. At one time it was a hot lake for chain pickerel on tip ups >my personal best chain pickerel is from Eagle Lake (25 inches).
  I would think the northern most of the Laurel Meadows ponds should be open it is another mud puddle to quote Pooley. My thanks also Pooley for your updates on lakes open for fishing.
  If you do not want to wait for Pooley's reports the phone number for the Sterling Forest visitor's center is (845-351-5907)

Steve
I don't mind waiting, Pooley is usually right on point with his info (thanks)!!!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:29 AM »
blue lake was slow yesterday. it's a hit or miss lake, plus the conditions were not great, with the cold front coming in friday night.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:20 PM »
nawahunta is now open in harriman. small lake by silvermine. probably good sunfish, and good largemouths.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:36 AM »
went to blue lake yesterday from 12;oo-4;00pm. 5 tip-ups out 3 flags no fish & jigged up 1 dink perch. had a couple of other fish hit jigging but no takers. marked alot of fish on the fish finder. the group next to us had a couple of keeper pickeral & couple small perch fishing all day long. 6-7 inches of ice.   walt

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:54 PM »

Steve

Laurel meadows pond is actually pretty big now due to the beavers. There was open water on it last week.

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:57 PM »
I went up to Harriman to see if anything opened today. There was a guy on welch with a spud and he measured 6-8 inches in different spots. He was going to call the people at tiorati circle to let them know. Hopefully they will send an official down to measure.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:32 AM »
Hockey thank you for the update, it has been a while since I been to Laurel Meadows. I was talking about the northern most of the two ponds.
 Steve

Offline Bell King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Are there any lake open for ice fishing in harriman state park?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:30 PM »
only nawahunta, and rockland lake.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:02 AM »
has anyone ever ice fished rockland lake? isn;t there supposed to be tiger muskey in there? walt

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:13 PM »
yeah, they have tiger musky there.

Offline Bell King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2010, 02:57 PM »
How do you access rockland lake? thinking of going there on Saturday.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:28 PM »
i would go in the south entrance, and go to the fishermans parking lot, in between the 2 entrances, on the west side of the lake.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/rkldlkmap.pdf

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:32 PM »
i would go in the south entrance, and go to the fishermans parking lot, in between the 2 entrances, on the west side of the lake.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/rkldlkmap.pdf
what do you think is going on with harriman pooley? .. we are the same age.. i been doing that place for years and it seems  nonesense to me they are keeping it closed ! there is more than enough ice!  :'(
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:37 PM »
only nawahunta, and rockland lake.
i hit nawahunta today and caught my limit of jumbo humpback yellow perch!!! all of them were over 15 inches!!!! lol.. ! most can be found in the backend! ::) :o lmaAO
lonelywolf lol

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:57 PM »
what do you think is going on with harriman pooley? .. we are the same age.. i been doing that place for years and it seems  nonesense to me they are keeping it closed ! there is more than enough ice!  :'(
my firehouse friend and i were just talking about that! we have no idea.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:30 PM »
my firehouse friend and i were just talking about that! we have no idea.
they only have that little drainage pit open!  between tioroti and silvermine! lol .. that is nothing but a drainage ditch along seven lakes drive! Fair warning to anyone not familiar with the park.. it is too small to hold much of anything let alone a keeper... complete joke! feel sorry for those who don't know better and waiste expensive gas going there to find out! NOT WORTH ICEFISHING NAWAHUNTA !  The name Nawahunta is Mohegan for " place of trout" .. but I seriously doubt it has trout even stockies..too shallow imo  says it is 7 to 10ft deep... unless of coarse it is manged for stockies which is highly unlikely.  probably get small sunfish dink perch and small pkl lmb but i wouldn't waiste gas going there
lonelywolf lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.