New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Weird things on the ice!!!  (Read 13118 times)

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
Re: Weird things on the ice!!!
« Reply #60 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:09 AM »
One time I saw a brown trout on the ice, strange thing was there was toilet paper scattered around it..... ;D
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #61 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:13 AM »
One time I saw a brown trout on the ice, strange thing was there was toilet paper scattered around it..... ;D
Not enough seasoning in the world to make that meal good ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:11 AM »
goose=skycarp

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #63 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:45 AM »
 ;) never iced any of them :-X
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #64 on: Mar 04, 2009, 12:58 PM »
Only weird thing I've seen on the ice was on LG    :blink:  some guy running along a pressure crack trolling    :cookoo:     :roflmao:

dav

Now that is very funny ...

Reminds me of this one, I'm sure you guys have seen it:

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #65 on: Mar 04, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Two weeks ago, I was fishing up at Wilson Harbor in WNY and had just caught a steelhead....A little while later, I was back into the panfish and I was working a fish down near the bottom and watching the Vex....Now, I am using a Vex with the transducer float and suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the transducer float started to bob up and down and move around in the hole like I had a fish or active minnow on a float...I was like "W.T.F.?!?!?" and when I looked down in the hole, a 10 lb. steelhead was nudging the transducer hangin' under the float, right under the ice!!!!

Weird....

Phil

I had something similar happen on Trout Lake ... I was setting up tipups and sounding holes in about 6-12 fow for rainbows.  The first few holes were much more shallow than I thought ... I dropped my sounder down which is a larger (1 ounce or so) one with the orange rubber coating on it.  I felt bottom and started to raise it up and felt a bump ... this was in 7 fow and I had just raised it like 5 feet.  So I look down the hole and what do I see ... a nice 18-20" rainbow is hammering my sounder repeatedly.  I could see it perfect as it was only a few feet under the ice.  I kept on jigging it and the bow kept charging at it aggressively.  I did have a hook on, but it was covered by the jaws of the sounder clip ... otherwise I would have caught it on my sounder.  I've never seen anything quite like it. 

After much thought it didn't suprise me that it happened, I catch rainbows all the time on orange Berkley Powerbait (doughbait) ... which looks very much like my sounder.  One of these days I'll catch one on my sounding weight, just need to keep the hook exposed. ;D

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 04, 2009, 01:38 PM »
yup - lots of guys, myself included, have caught fish on sounders

Offline Strike_Zone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Mar 04, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Not enough seasoning in the world to make that meal good ;D

That's what Stool Pigeons eat all the time.
"Never Open a Can of Worms Unless You Plan to go Fishing".
    "If Ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people"?
  "Old Age is like Underware it Creeps up on You".
  "It is what it is" because "it aint what it is".
  "Some people do, some don't, some will and some won't". It's your call and only your call.

Offline witty1171

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:27 AM »
get over what MORON?? people that do sh-t like that should be incarcerated, screw the fine.. and as far as the population of them so what, there are 9 million people in nyc, 305 sq miles..... should we start torturing them too..

Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Offline waldojigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:33 AM »

funny you say that, last year off BB rd late ice there was a crack that was about 5-6" wide and i walked along that and hammered the perch for hours, i just kept moving along till i found some active fish, may have looked funny and actually my dad was laughing at me, but while he was catching a few, i was hammering them.
i have caught tons of panfish fishing cracks

Offline waldojigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:47 AM »
get over what MORON?? people that do sh-t like that should be incarcerated, screw the fine.. and as far as the population of them so what, there are 9 million people in nyc, 305 sq miles..... should we start torturing them too..
no need to torture but i think we need to give nyc to new jersey imagine living in new york without having to pay taxes to support nyc

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 05, 2009, 10:01 AM »

wierd things on the ice well was fishin one day was beautiful out we were on like a summer vaciton type lake and we had just moved tryin to locate fish and we been sittin there for a few minutes when all the sudden my buddys pole is bent right over drag screamin as hes reelin in well come to get this thing thru the hole and it turnes out to be a old volley ball net that was on the bottom of the lake the look on his face was priceless but mad did that thing stink.

yep im the one that caught that stinky a&&ed volleyball, was quite entertaining for being the only f***ing thing we caught all day
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 05, 2009, 11:55 AM »
For a guy that likes to shoot at, kill, and I'm assuming eat, Geese and ducks. You sure seem to get pretty heated about a kid messin around with one. You sounded like one of the tree huggers there for a couple posts.
I'm not saying its right........just relax a bit. No need to lock the guy away.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Mar 05, 2009, 03:15 PM »
there are 9 million people in nyc, 305 sq miles..... should we start torturing them too..
yes we really have to do something with them they are ruining this state.

sorry off topic, but a few years ago we seen 3 coyotes run a doe down on hemlock lake neat and scary at the same time, i didnt even have a knife with me that day

Offline shleprock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Mar 05, 2009, 03:39 PM »
For a guy that likes to shoot at, kill, and I'm assuming eat, Geese and ducks. You sure seem to get pretty heated about a kid messin around with one. You sounded like one of the tree huggers there for a couple posts.
I'm not saying its right........just relax a bit. No need to lock the guy away.

HE'S JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF THE GUYS ON THERE HIGH HORSE THIS YEAR IM SURE HE'S PROBABLY B888HED ABOUT SOME PEOPLE KEEPING FISH AS WELL.
 THERE'S ONE IN EVERY CROWD.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:46 PM »
no need to torture but i think we need to give nyc to new jersey imagine living in new york without having to pay taxes to support nyc

now i'm going to ruffel some feathers but 80% of taxes  paid in new york state come from  the nyc long island area,if you think upstate pays a high percent of the new york state tax base  your sadly mistaken go on check it out

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:47 PM »
this is off topic i apoligize ....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #80 on: Mar 06, 2009, 04:06 PM »
Re: Weird things on the ice!!! ... Taxes???  I suppose catching an IRS agent under the ice would be still on subject ... and kinda weird too. ::)

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 06, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Please no arguing or off subject stuff. I wanna see WEIRD things!!!!!!!1
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #82 on: Mar 07, 2009, 08:54 AM »
60 degrees today and 2 foot of ice 8)

JJ

« Reply #83 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Please no arguing or off subject stuff. I wanna see WEIRD things!!!!!!!1

Offline waldojigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Mar 07, 2009, 04:04 PM »
nice pics capt i wanna float around on a ice berg like that maybe i will in a couple weeks

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:15 PM »
Not a very sporting thing to do, geese are Federally protected. If caught you could have been fined between $5,000 and $10,000. :o
Another genius idea by the gov. Those things r way 2 populated and they spread the "bird flu" dont they.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #86 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:35 PM »
hey capt jj thanks  laughed my butt off
                                         thanks man
                                             trap

JJ

« Reply #87 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Another genius idea by the gov. Those things r way 2 populated and they spread the "bird flu" dont they.
??? Gov as in Governor or government? This law (The Federal Migratory Bird Act of 1918) has been in effect for 91 years, and there are open seasons to hunt them. I agree there are too many resident geese around.

Question is what have you done to help things? Do you hunt them to help reduce numbers? or do you just want to complain.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #88 on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Caught a 12 inch "blue perch" yesterday!

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #89 on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:50 PM »
I've heard of those "blue" perch ... did you get a pic?  I'd love to see it.  I've seen some pics of them from western NY and another one from Champlain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.