New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Weird things on the ice!!!  (Read 13117 times)

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Weird things on the ice!!!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:58 PM »
I was fishing Thompsons early this season and there was a group of 4 guys near me. This little pug came out on the ice to check them out and as it was leaving it took a leak on every one of their tip ups. i was dying
always canines running around thompsons!!! the labs that live near the launch stole my plastic scoop and had a great time few years ago ;D
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I saw a pig one time. :)

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:14 PM »
I saw a pig one time. :)
an ice pig? that takes the cake.
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:17 PM »
In MN, even the livestock likes to get some time on the ice. ;D

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Two weeks ago, I was fishing up at Wilson Harbor in WNY and had just caught a steelhead....A little while later, I was back into the panfish and I was working a fish down near the bottom and watching the Vex....Now, I am using a Vex with the transducer float and suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the transducer float started to bob up and down and move around in the hole like I had a fish or active minnow on a float...I was like "W.T.F.?!?!?" and when I looked down in the hole, a 10 lb. steelhead was nudging the transducer hangin' under the float, right under the ice!!!!

Weird....

Phil

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:35 PM »
No Joke ... Because of some treaty with Mexico they are federally protected migratory bird. When I a kid there wasn't a season....we couldn't understand why any one wanted to protect crows ???
i shoot em  ;D

Offline TuRbO87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:47 PM »
out on cassadaga lake last week only thing out there with me was a coyote. wheres the rifle when u need it....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:21 PM »
Two weeks ago, I was fishing up at Wilson Harbor in WNY and had just caught a steelhead....A little while later, I was back into the panfish and I was working a fish down near the bottom and watching the Vex....Now, I am using a Vex with the transducer float and suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the transducer float started to bob up and down and move around in the hole like I had a fish or active minnow on a float...I was like "W.T.F.?!?!?" and when I looked down in the hole, a 10 lb. steelhead was nudging the transducer hangin' under the float, right under the ice!!!!

Weird....

Phil
Two seasons ago Pacman was showing us his vex and the same thing happened ....Some fish was banging the heck out of it.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:07 AM »
Electro magnetic current  ;)  the fish in both cases had a chemical in balance.

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:21 AM »
I wasn't just a bump.... That fish was peeved off....hit it several times
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:46 AM »
Seen a guy catch an otter on Lake Pleasant,it was quite a few years ago,Man that Otter was not happy!!!The Guy kept yellin over to us "what should I do"?,Kind of a No Brainer,"Cut the F---IN Line"! I yelled back,that SOB was snarling & strippin His Teeth..It was a Sight!

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:23 AM »
out on cassadaga lake last week only thing out there with me was a coyote. wheres the rifle when u need it....

I had coyote go by my shanty a while back too...guess he smelled the venison & onions! :o ;D
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2009, 02:43 PM »
Bullhead start to suspend this time of year... Catch them all the time in 24 fow 5 to8 foot under the ice fishing for trout.
This was back in  late December
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Seen a guy catch an otter on Lake Pleasant,it was quite a few years ago,Man that Otter was not happy!!!The Guy kept yellin over to us "what should I do"?,Kind of a No Brainer,"Cut the F---IN Line"! I yelled back,that SOB was snarling & strippin His Teeth..It was a Sight!

dont let it out of the hole and dont let it come up in any other hole for air..... the fight will be over soon.  you wont have to worry about being bit and you wont loose your rig. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Depends on the body of water... for me it is usually from here on out where I fish.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Had a goose coming through the creek I was bass fishing. I was using a Hula Popper and decided to see if could hook the thing sure enough I did. The goose went into the overpass under the road. Then it came out the other side and I could see it flying up near the the other side of the road and it was busy rush hour. So I cut the line so I didnt draw too much attention. Them geese put up a hell of a fight.
as an active memeber of Ducks Unlimited and a avid waterfowl hunter I would have turned your azz in in a heartbeat!!! NOT COOL................
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Because of some treaty with Mexico they are federally protected migratory bird. jimmy yout right! has to do with some kind of deal with mexico so we can hunt doves not sure how it works
                                                                                                                 trap

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:22 PM »
How do you mean fed. protected trap? Here in Nebraska we have a season on crows from Oct-April with no limit. Just curious, thanks.
And to the gent that hooked the goose with a lure, def. not cool :nono:
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline BASSMAN STANN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~~~ FLAG-UP ! ~~~
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:22 PM »
I've got two.........
How about a deer under the ice  :o
It was clear ice not very thick, it must of fallin through.
Need less to say, it wasn't alive.

Second is:

I saw an otter out the back door of the house sitting on the edge of
the ice and the open water.
Just a sittin as cool as a cucumber eaten a 12" fish.
National geographic up close and personal  :icefish:
~~~~     Otis the sled dog.    ~~~~

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:27 PM »
as an active memeber of Ducks Unlimited and a avid waterfowl hunter I would have turned your azz in in a heartbeat!!! NOT COOL................

Get over it. I was a younger kid. Tons of them around here.
It'll eat.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Mudpappy,
 Federally protected migratory birds are not just waterfowl.

They have a hunting season (or not) to manage thier numbers. No limit is a limit in a season. ;)

Don't think about it too much .... it will make your head hurt. :P

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Gotcha, don't worry I never think to hard about stuff the government has something to do with ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:46 PM »

That's hilarious :D

Not on the ice, but one of my buddies was surface fishing in SC and a pelican dove down and picked up his plug. Think really angry seagull, but much bigger and with a bigger beak!! They got it in and unhooked without harm, but that bird wasn't happy!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:47 PM »

well yes i can forgive a kid no big thing a boot to the butt but not only did you break federal law but ny state law harressment of wildlife god knows what cruelty to animals laws but then to write it here for anti's to see !!!! not a smooth move there. we all did stupid stuff as  kids but somethings best left unsaid. oh the responce about the population wasn't good either ,your right there are a lot but that doesn't mean it's ok to abuse! were not jumping on you only telling you how things appear to tree huggers why give them ammo!
                                                                                                                         god bless
                                                                                                                            trap

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #54 on: Mar 03, 2009, 04:33 PM »

get over what MORON?? people that do sh-t like that should be incarcerated, screw the fine.. and as far as the population of them so what, there are 9 million people in nyc, 305 sq miles..... should we start torturing them too..
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline blitz42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:15 PM »
 ::)

Offline buckclub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:41 PM »
just got back from fishing the ocean in california, (sorry no ice but I had to get my fix somehow)  My little cousin couldnt lift the fish up fast enough a few times and we were forced to net two pelicans.  Not too fun really

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:44 PM »
pelicans can get real mean . they will come after your cooler and  bite at you if you get in there way

Offline Soft_Spot_716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Mar 04, 2009, 05:34 AM »
wierd things on the ice well was fishin one day was beautiful out we were on like a summer vaciton type lake and we had just moved tryin to locate fish and we been sittin there for a few minutes when all the sudden my buddys pole is bent right over drag screamin as hes reelin in well come to get this thing thru the hole and it turnes out to be a old volley ball net that was on the bottom of the lake the look on his face was priceless but mad did that thing stink.
Tight Lines and remember Keep Your Stick on The Ice

Offline hitchcos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 04, 2009, 07:46 AM »
Weird things on the ice:

Well, I've met alot of you guys out there... ;D ;

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.