Author Topic: EFI vs. Carburetored  (Read 3085 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
EFI vs. Carburetored
« on: Sep 30, 2015, 12:57 AM »
I've been keeping an eye out for a used ATV and came across a 2013 Arctic Cat 400cc but it's not EFI. It could be had for a decent price, my first ATV, although I'm wondering if I should wait to find an EFI. Anyone running a regular carb ever have difficulty with low temp starts or other issues? Thanks for any advice.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

FISHFORPIKE

Re: EFI vs. Carburetored
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2015, 02:12 AM »
Had an '05 Yamaha, brand new, first and last carb'd ATV I will ever own.  I left it in 2010 for a new Polaris 550, EFI. 

You are going to get answers all over the board on this one!  ;D

Offline IFH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2015, 03:13 AM »
I had a Sportsman 500, forget the year. Even with the choke you had to nurse the throttle for 4 or 5 minutes before it would idle on its own. Saying that I never had a problem starting it in sub-zero weather. 

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2015, 05:03 AM »
I have an 04 Polaris 500 HO - carb and a 2010 CanAm EFI... They both run amazing, but I PERSONALLY would only buy EFI from here on out. 
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2015, 08:35 PM »
efi is the only way for me

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2015, 11:54 AM »
wyo,

I have an 08 Kawasaki 650, it's carbed and cold blooded as a frog. Runs great once it warms up but tough to get started in winter. My next one will be EFI.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2015, 03:43 PM »
I had a 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 that was carbureted & it was a little cold blooded. Took about 3 seconds to fire up in below zero temps. I now have a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 that is EFI & the cold temps don't seem bother it. Hit the starter button & fires right up.

If it were me, I'd hold out for an ATV w/EFI. Good luck in your search & keep us posted !!

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2015, 06:50 AM »
I have a Polaris 2012 Polaris 500 HO that is carbed and a 2015 Polaris 570Sp that is Fuel Injected.....
The best thing that I did to the Carbed ATV was to put in an AGM battery...The cold starts are way better now...I also keep a Battery tender hooked up to it all the time when I am not running it... It starts and runs every time with no real issues. It warms up in a matter of a couple of minutes. By the time I get my gear ready to head out the Quad is running great...

I prefer the EFI but I if you can get a good deal on a Carbed quad I wouldn't let the idea that it is carbed scare you away....For me the carb motors are way easier to tune and I don't have to take it to the dealer to change the mapping programs to fit my needs...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2015, 11:52 AM »
I've been keeping an eye out for a used ATV and came across a 2013 Arctic Cat 400cc but it's not EFI. It could be had for a decent price, my first ATV, although I'm wondering if I should wait to find an EFI. Anyone running a regular carb ever have difficulty with low temp starts or other issues? Thanks for any advice.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:
I bought an Arctic Cat 400 Auto new in 2005. Never had a problem starting in cold weather unless it hadn't been started in about a month or so. If it didn't start on the first try I would hit the primer on the carb three times and it would take right off. When being used fairly often for ice fishing it would start on the first try. I kept a battery tender hooked up between fishing trips to keep a charge on the battery. I bought a Yamaha with EFI last winter and it starts well also, but isn't cold blooded like a carbed engine.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2015, 07:03 AM »
EFI without a doubt, and the last I'd buy is either Polaris or Arctic Cat.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:59 AM »
I bought my first ATV 3yrs ago, mostly to be used for ice fishing. Its a 04 Grizzly 660 and not EFI. When I was looking, it seemed like getting an EFI version added about $1000 and I couldnt justify it so I went carbed

To date, I have not had any issues with it starting. Sure, you have to choke it if its cold, but let it run with the choke on full for about 30sec, then half choke for another 30sec, the idle it down and its always been good to go

Having to adjust the choke seems like an easy way to save $1000. That said, if I would have found  a similarly priced/condition EFI ATV, I probably would have went EFI

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2015, 01:52 PM »
EFI all day. No issues with dirty carbs or tuning.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2015, 11:27 AM »

This is no difference than the Ford vs Chevy debate....They are all good if you maintain them.....I just prefer to buy American brands.... ;)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2015, 08:59 AM »
yep stay away from arctic cat or polaris. had both and it cost me in repairs. not very reliable. honda and yamys are more expensive but last forever. bought 04' 350 4x4 bruin new. have put 0 parts in it. just reg. service. put a lot of hard trail miles on it too. my bro. has a  yam. 2000 griz. and beats the crap out of the thing and its still going! we have a very large trail system up here and a lot of riders. I've pulled plenty of cats' and polaris's that have broke down on the trails. usually broke u joints or electrical problems. . never a yamy or honda unless they ran out of gas or something stupid like that. i also would go w/ efi. mine starts good until i get below 20f. it will start but it struggles for about 20sec. or so. they're not really made for real cold weather but the efi's start like its summer!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:13 AM »
This is no difference than the Ford vs Chevy debate....They are all good if you maintain them.....I just prefer to buy American brands.... ;)
[/quo  where i go i sometimes drive 15mi. in to a remote lake at -20f. sometimes 50 or so mi. from nowhere. you have to be able to rely on your equipment for safetys sake esp. in the middle of the woods. I'm not endosing these brands and if the american quality was even close, id go w/ them but from what I've seen, if it has to run in extreme conditions, those 2 brands won't let you down. my 2 cents. ;)

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2015, 07:49 PM »

I'd prefer to buy N/A too, but not the junk they make.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2015, 03:57 AM »
wyo,

I have an 08 Kawasaki 650, it's carbed and cold blooded as a frog. Runs great once it warms up but tough to get started in winter. My next one will be EFI.

I had an 05 Kawasaki 700 that was carbed. Always started after alittle choking. Only issue I ever had was when it got below zero it would start fouling the rear cylinder plug. Went to hotter plugs and never had another issue. Actually just traded her in yesterday. Loved it! Bought another Kawasaki. My new machine is EFI as it a brand new 2015 but carb was fine for me. If I was in the market for a used machine I would not rule out a machine for being carbed.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2015, 04:22 PM »
EFI all day long and I love my Arctic Cats.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2015, 04:17 PM »
I have a carb warmer on my Big Bear.  Turn the key to the "on" position an give it one minute, put the choke in "full" position and it fires right up.  There are lots of reasons why an ATV won't start on the coldest days of winter, carb or EFI. 
How long is a piece of string?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.