Author Topic: Diesel cold start  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Chasing Lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
Diesel cold start
« on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:03 AM »
Question for the diesel experts that are also ice addicts....

My 99 F250 struggled to start last weekend after a day of fishing. It was around 8pm when we were leaving and was only 30f but was quite windy. I didn`t expect it to struggle so much when it wasn't even that cold out.
So are there any tips or suggestions to help with this? Also, for week long trips, is the best option to invest in a portable generator to fire up and plug in the truck a few hours before packing up?
Thanks for the help!
CL

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Diesel cold start
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:29 AM »
Diesel, but a little different. direct injected Cummins 5.9 in a '91 W/D 250 4X4 .     The little Honda  EU2000 runs about 15 hours on very little fuel, I think it's less than 2 quarts, so I just leave it plugged in. The block heater is 350w or 375w, so the Honda just idles and keeps the engine warm. I also close the flaps on the radiator full-cover.  There are a few other things that help and prevent wear and deposits on the injectors and the combustion chambers.  Amsoil Diesel Fuel Concentrate with Cetane Boost.    Amsoil Cold Start if it's below 10 degrees.    There's more.     In the crankcase, Amsoil Series 3000 Synthetic 5W30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, which pours at  58 degrees below zero.   With the Amsoil products it starts with a bump of the  starter , which is the original.        That makes the Honda sorta folly, ha.   ;)2

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:27 AM »
I have 2 -7.3 Ford Diesels......did the truck just slow roll when you tried to start it and then fire or did you have to keep turning the key off and keep trying to start it?If it is the later,I'd say it's the glow plug relay.Sometimes at colder temps when the relay starts going bad they will act up when trying to start them.Your truck should have started at 30*.I seldom plug mine in unless it's been sitting for several days in single digit temps and then for only a few hours....

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:16 PM »
i agree on both posts but you should not have had any problems at 30*

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:58 PM »
i agree on both posts but you should not have had any problems at 30*
Thanks.  Toofus, knows the truth in lubrication.    :thumbsup:

Offline b wojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Ditto on the glow plug relay. 7.3's really struggle to start without operable glow plugs, even in the 40 degree range sometimes, in the 30's for sure.  You can jump across the relay to see if it is working or not.  The truck will start MUCH easier.  Get an oem one for about 85 bucks or so I think.  If you have lots of miles I would get one just to keep in the glove box. 

Offline Chasing Lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definitely be checking out the glow plugs/relays.

I have 2 -7.3 Ford Diesels......did the truck just slow roll when you tried to start it and then fire or did you have to keep turning the key off and keep trying to start it?

I had to turn the key and "heat the glow plugs" at least a dozen plus times before it fired. And btw, how's your mpg on your 7.3's both empty and pulling a trailer?

Thanks!
CL

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:18 PM »
CL....Around 18-20 on the Super Crew on the e-way empty....3.55 gears.Loaded about 16.......The regular cab about 17-18 empty and 14-15 loaded....4.10 gears...

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definitely be checking out the glow plugs/relays.

I had to turn the key and "heat the glow plugs" at least a dozen plus times before it fired.
Definitely willing to be it's the glow plug relay.  I've seen this many times in the 17  yrs I've been wrenching on school buses with the International T444e (same as the Ford 7.3).

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:27 AM »
Glow plug relays are easy to change....take the cover off the top of the motor and the relay will be on the left rear top of motor,remove the 4 wires and the 2 mounting bolts and replace.....easy to do....

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:35 AM »
Start simple. check your batteries. also the fuel filter heater lift pump might need service
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Chasing Lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:11 PM »
Well I was working today and the alternator went out.... So I went and picked up an alternator and glow plug relay. Switched both out tonight and now hopefully I'll have better luck... I'm thinking you guys were right about the glow plug relay because before I replaced it, I tested the old one and it wasn't getting power across the relay. Then tested the new one after installed and it was getting power across the relay..... Turned the key and heard it click over...... never heard that sound before haha. Batteries are getting fully charged tonight and we'll see how she starts in the morning.

Thanks for all the help. Guess I'll have to find a good Ford diesel forum site to check out issues in the future. I know this probably wasn't the best place to ask but I definitely appreciated the help!
Tight Lines All!

......... And warm glow plugs to all....  ;D

Now I just need to pick up a little honda generator for the long weekend trips.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:23 PM »
I have had several diesel pickups over the years and have 3 of the 7.3 diesels now. I agree with Idahogater and am using the AMSOIL PRODUCTS. ;)  I also crank the engine a few revolutions initially to get some fuel above the pistons and then turn the key off and then turn it back on to cycle the glow plugs.  After the glow plug light goes out, I crank until it starts.  I also think maybe your glow plug relay is not working. :-\  It should start at 30 degrees.  The valve covers need to be removed to change glow plugs.  Good luck.  D Hutt

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:40 PM »
If it is really cold out I also fire up the honda 2000 and plug mine in just to be safe.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Another wise person, IceHutt.      ;)2

This ordeal is one I'm glad to have avoided ~ the Cummins is direct injected and has no glow plugs. Just an intake air heater.  It's intermittent after a very cold start for a couple minutes.   

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:40 PM »
I have a 2000 7.3. Don't forget to add fuel additives to every tank! Makes the world of difference. Powerstrokes hate the cold known fact....but it's a great engin
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:29 PM »
I am guessing it's probably a couple glow plugs burnt out search for testing glow plugs one other thing is up here in Canada we install espar or webasto engine heaters for people who are forced to leave their diesels out in extreme cold without plugging it in they are costly but when theirs no other option. When it comes to International engines the ford motor company introduced thier own engine harnesses around the 96 model year with the hui engines before that a lot of people would take the ford diesel 7.3 or 6.9 to international shops for repair who better right. After that ford became popritory we couldn't do much with them. As far as diesel starting in the cold. Any engine with a pre cup are harder to start because when the flame comes out of the pre cup in extreme cold the flame will go out before it gets a chance to fully ignite. Any old school international mechanic will remember the swirl destroyers on the 549 international diesels. Sorry for the rant. As for this issue sometimes people always jump to conclutions in the repair process. But it's real simple do the tests that you find in a manual and let the results tell you what's wrong otherwise you are just replacing parts understand the system keep it simple.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.