Author Topic: atv tire chains  (Read 1990 times)

Offline ADKBIGBEN

• IceShanty Rookie
atv tire chains
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:25 PM »
so i recently got a mint honda fourtrax 250 2x4 for a good deal and its ok in the snow but hit ice and traction is an issue of course planning on getting some chains just want to know what are some of the chains out there people use and what i shouldnt use or maybe some other traction ideas thank you and tight lines :tipup:
may the beer be cold and your lines be tight

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: atv tire chains
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:59 PM »
A good set of V-bar Diamond should get you going. There is literally a bunch to choose from.

Two or four link spacing seems to be common. Two link probably gives a smoother ride. Make sure you have the tire size when you are looking. Buying chains designed for your tire size allows the best possible fit.

Try to have a price in mind in mind that you are comfortable with. You should have many to choose from for under $100. Just about any set of chains is better than not having any when they are needed, however cheap usually lacks strength and durability.

Some have better tightener’s than others. Chains that flop around or that come loose is an accident waiting to happen.

WS

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: atv tire chains
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 04:16 AM »
I just got chains for my 650 arctic cat.   I measured the proper cross chain length and went to walmart to the light truck  chain shelf.   When home I checked for width and they were fine. I then put them on the rear tires and used the bolt cutters to get the proper length. I put on the tighteners and went for a ride to rough up the surface of the links.   I have around five miles on the ice and am very satisfied.  My cost was $90 but they are fairly heavier than regular atv chains.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.