Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 341998 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #270 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Real nice.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #271 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Just starting my mods on my new glide lite. I am downgrading from a mod'd jet sled. Just started by mocking a power auger setup I saw somewhere. I flipped my auger to put the head in the front however. Will keep updating pics til the finished product. Top bucket locks the Auger in place and will be removed for normal seating, and added if I go mobile with the bucket as Im fairly tall.

(Image removed from quote.)
hey Doc, how'd this work out? was it tippy?

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #272 on: Sep 06, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Already getting ready for this season. Finally made a place to put my bait bucket, folds up to keep things as compact as possible when storing it.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #273 on: Sep 16, 2014, 02:48 PM »
I could never get away with bring so little with me out on the ice!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #274 on: Dec 20, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Already getting ready for this season. Finally made a place to put my bait bucket, folds up to keep things as compact as possible when storing it.

Morning rt dak,

Awesome design you made. Great idea and design for your bait bucket.  Even if it was made for a extra shelf space. ( with out the hole) A dry place to put your tackle box, coffee cup, extra hooks, Etc, Etc.

Excellent how it folds out and back in, out of the way.

Have a great Ice Fishing season.
  Stay Safe.

Cheers.

AltaIce
            @)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #275 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Time to build mine now
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #276 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Time to build mine now

Awesome, Big Z.

We look forward to it.  Enjoy building it and take your time.

Cheers,

AltaIce
      @)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline Sherlock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #277 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:19 PM »

Otter Pro Medium sled with cover.

Trusty old 1981 Jiffy Lite and Cabelas 8 X 6 Ice Team shelter

Custom 8 rod "locker" with plenty of space for other stuff.

Other storage compartment for tackle etc.

I had a couple extra Plano 730 minnow buckets laying around so I made an insulated built in bait bucket.

The framing is 1.5" x 1.75" treated pine and the flat panels are tempered aluminum sheets that are stiffer, stronger and lighter than plywood. Plus they will never rot.

And my homemade rod holders.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #278 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:14 AM »
hey Doc, how'd this work out? was it tippy?

RD I sent ya a PM, but for anyone else interested, it wasnt the greatest as it was a little top heavy in deep snow, however, I added small skis like I had seen in another post and the little bit of extra length sure helped out with stability. I put 2 Metal C Clips mounted to the sled that the handles pulled into (in same configuration), so it didnt slide off the top from rocking back and forth.

I havent used glide lite in last year and a half as I was doing a lot more either bucket fishing or using my diy eskimo shanty. I need to get it out and start using it again, as It was very nice to get a large amount of gear on the lake without carrying it. It works really well until 6" of snow or more, then it seemed to be tipsy......nothing beats it on glass ice or up to 2 inches, hard to tell it is even back there.

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #279 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:27 AM »
Hey Sherlock,

I like that rod holder idea, I see it mounted on the sled. does it screw into the ice as well? I think I am going to try something like that.
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #280 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:55 PM »
I just finished doing some mods to my sled again.

I made a three piece flat top with hinged doors on each side. I made one side a little larger that the other. On the small side I can fit my two chairs, my collapsible table, my shovel and my scoops. On the larger side I can fit my flasher, my heater, my tackle box and other random stuff.

I put a rod rack on the back enough to hold 8 rods. I plan on changing it though to a removable rack so I can just unhook it and bring it into the shelter with me. Right now I have a separate little pvc rack I bring in.

I put in a battery box and wired switches out to the rear corner. I only have one switch hooked up so far. I used some LED strip lights to wrap around the front of the sled. They are controlled by the switch. They put out a lot of light for walking out in the morning and getting set up. The 3M tape on the back of the strips didn't work so well so I used small zip ties every few inches to hold them on. I got a 5 meter roll of the LED strip lights off Ebay for like $9. I used about 3 feet so far. I plan on putting some on the rear of the sled as well. I would also like to put some on the inside incase I would need any light for unpacking.

When everything is packed I just put the auger on top. I carry the hub shelter by the shoulder straps.

Thanks for looking.

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #281 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Hey Johnson that is a real neat set up. What rods are you using with those straight line reels????

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #282 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Cool set up Jason :tipup:

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #283 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Very cool! Keep an eye on those toggle switches though. They stick out quite a ways and wouldn't be hard to catch on something when moving your sled around. Possibly swap out with some lower profile rocker switches if that happens?

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Rocker-Toggle-Switch-Control/dp/B00A0BAYR8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421877295&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+switch

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Very cool! Keep an eye on those toggle switches though. They stick out quite a ways and wouldn't be hard to catch on something when moving your sled around. Possibly swap out with some lower profile rocker switches if that happens?

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Rocker-Toggle-Switch-Control/dp/B00A0BAYR8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421877295&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+switch

I was worried when I first bought them, I wanted rockers original. They are still inside the shade of the sled tub edge by quite a bit though.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #285 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Hey Johnson that is a real neat set up. What rods are you using with those straight line reels????

The green and orange ones are Cabelas noodle type rods. One is a St. Croix, and I'm not sure what the dead stick setups are.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #286 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:21 PM »
here is some pictures of mine..

these are the lights above but only running one now..

mated a tite lok rail calmp and a ram mount mounting system  to get this...

with light on and fish finder

still got stuff i plan on doing i guess that's what the modify button is for...

Offline Sherlock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #287 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Hey Sherlock,

I like that rod holder idea, I see it mounted on the sled. does it screw into the ice as well? I think I am going to try something like that.

DSP2 -

They don't screw into the ice, but that's a great idea. Mine are smooth and just slide into drilled holes along the rail.

Sherlock

Offline fish4all

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #288 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:53 PM »
After reading this thread a couple of times I was inspired to create my very own "Modified Sled", so to everyone that has posted thanks for the inspiration!!!

I have the Clam Base Camp hub shelter and my sled fits perfectly inside with plenty of room to fish. I wanted a way to be able to keep my gear/toys all together, all organized and all within reach. I was also in search of a bench of sorts so my two boys 6 & 7 yrs old always had a solid place to sit, and that I could also use to stow my gear and this is what I came up with! I also use a underwater camera frequently mostly just to keep the boys busy, but I will admit it comes in handy at times.

There is room on the open side for my shelter and hand auger. The locker holds my finder, rod holders, tackle, bucket seats, extra gloves, snacks and anything else that fits. The center console holds my underwater camera (a must have with the boys) and toggle switches to turn on front lights for fishing and a back light to just brighten things up.

Building this drove my wife nuts lol!, so thanks to everyone for the inspiration and thanks especially to my wife for not killing me! Let me know what you think, I already have a few more mods in mind!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #289 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Very nice setup. Boy's look like they already like it.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #290 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:54 PM »
That's a really cool set up you got fish4all! I haven't seen a camera and cord set up like that yet, with the lid open and holding the camera cord.

One possible suggestion would be to put a coat or two of paint on your wood. If you throw wet things or anything with snow on it in there when packing up, it'll eventually wreak havoc on that particle board. Otherwise, it looks very nice and functional!

Offline fish4all

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #291 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:36 PM »
That's a really cool set up you got fish4all! I haven't seen a camera and cord set up like that yet, with the lid open and holding the camera cord.

One possible suggestion would be to put a coat or two of paint on your wood. If you throw wet things or anything with snow on it in there when packing up, it'll eventually wreak havoc on that particle board. Otherwise, it looks very nice and functional!

Thanks Ice_Addict for the suggestion, I am going to take your advise and do just that! Also plan on adding a couple rod holders, and probably another battery with a USB port and cigarette lighter to keep devices charged! The longer the boys are happy, the longer I can fish lol!!!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #292 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:43 AM »
First off, please excuse the mess in the background. It was a flurry of parts, tools and sawdust throwing this thing together.
Here is my new "Modular" sled. The black side panels, front bait bucket and back tray/rod holder is removable with one thumb screw one each sidewall of the sled, for example If I want to fish, say a 2 line limit lake (here in NH) when I will be only jigging, I can take my tipup panel off for the day quickly. also all of the panels can be removed and stored inside the "tub" of the sled.
I started with a large inventory tote from a manufacturer that recently went out of business. From there I fabricated the brackets and "lift kit" from aluminum, laid thin sheet steel under the belly and rolled it up front, and the rest is repurposed materials I had left over in my shop (1/2" plywood, pvc, hardware, latches and hinges, etc). It drags super slick. The tray on back fits my clam shell tackle boxes so they are at the ready when I need to change up lures quickly. EVERYTHING I need is in one container now. No more digging through multiple bags, bins and Milk crates to find what I need, no more' "Damnitt, I left that back in my other bag!" I utilized the Frabill bucket insert to use as a bait container (cuz I dont really NEED to carry around a 5 gal. bucket for 2 doz minnows, eh?
Oh, and the HT bucket clamp-on rod holder was modified to screw (with the 1/4-20 t-nut insert in the cover) onto  the cover of the sled, and can still be adjusted to any angle, and holds solid too. This was a project I am proud of, (and happy to see done, cuz I had WAAAAY too much time onto it lol)
Anyway, enjoy...

Chasing Ice

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #293 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Very slick NHH. Everything has a place and everything in its place.  Cheers.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #294 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:24 PM »
really nice build  :thumbsup:

Offline mjw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #295 on: Feb 07, 2015, 09:06 AM »
still have to put the top on it but this kept our clams out of the snow and dry when being towed out, on top we will put a bunch of eye hooks and we can bungee things on top. The tow bar is made from conduit and a couple nuts and bolts, just got the sled so we will see how it works

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #296 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Very cool mjw! That's the first double-decker I think I have seen. Any particular reason why you went 2 high instead of 2 long?

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #297 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:15 AM »
My guess would be less space used to haul it back and forth to the lake, looks like it could be hooked up to a 4 wheeler or a snowmobile and space may be at a premium, so make the best of what he had available...... just an idea.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #298 on: Feb 11, 2015, 06:30 PM »
another guess could be that the sled caused to much resistance at 2 long when pulled with two people on a 2 up.. so he went two high? 

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #299 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:53 AM »
another guess could be that the sled caused to much resistance at 2 long when pulled with two people on a 2 up.. so he went two high?

Good point. I noticed mine pulled noticeably harder when I pulled my buddies sled behind mine. I suppose even having extra weight pulling "one" is still easier than pulling two in series. Hadn't thought of that before. I was thinking about how it could be top heavy though if he ever pulls it on uneven terrain. Might not be an issue though. Most places I pull mine are very flat, but it sounds like some guys are trekking miles through back trails with some pretty rough terrain.

Whatever reason he did it, I hope it works. It's a cool idea!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.