Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819444 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1710 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I was going to make 1 but it looked like it would cost over $20, not the $15 suggested in the title!!!  ;D :)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1711 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:21 PM »
find skis at the salvation army or goodwill or other.      i get them for 5 bucks a pair

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1712 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Just joking!!

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1713 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Love my Smitty Sled!

Do any of you hot wax your skis? If not, I highly recommend giving it a try! The wax iron is $50 (twice what the sled cost to build) but after using it once I know I made the right choice. If you're near Wind Lake WI and want to try it without dropping the $50 on the iron, shoot me a PM.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1714 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:05 PM »
What kind of wax did you use?

Why not use an old flat iron if you have one?

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1715 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I used ski wax.

They gave me a long explanation with many reasons the wax iron was better for this use. The one that stuck out for me is the wax iron has settings by degrees rather than by fabric, this is the same language the different types of wax uses so it's being melted at the right temp.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1716 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:24 PM »
I've had equipment to wax and sharpen my skiis for years. Did you scrape off the excess or just leave it? I may need to countersink one of my screws a bit more before using my ski iron.

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1717 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:43 PM »
The pic shows the wax cooling, after about an hour I scraped off all the excess with the swix tool in the background. You can see the light circle on the ski, that's where the wax filled in the countersunk screw.

It was explained to me the goal of the wax is to fill in the pores and imperfections in the ski material to make it a smooth surface. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1718 on: Feb 17, 2018, 12:43 PM »
I hot wax my smitty after about 3 trips on the ice.  But I use the cheapest regular iron from kmart, (way cheaper than $50) drip the ski wax on the ski, and smooth it out with the iron.  I let cool then scrape lightly with a scraper. Then I take a piece of cork and rub from tip to tail about 3 times to maximize the wax laying in one direction to get the maximum glide.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1719 on: Feb 17, 2018, 12:55 PM »
What sort of ski wax e.g. brand do you use?

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1720 on: Feb 17, 2018, 12:57 PM »
The last batch I bought was the universal ski wax from REI.  I forget what brand it was, but any universal temperature glide wax will do well.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline wentworth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1721 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Pretty much what Alaska Mike posted,except you don't have to scrape,it will wear off fast enough,just wax lightly,keep the iron moving,never stop on the ski bottom.I have worked off and on for 35 years at ski areas,in the rental departments,never scraped the skis.If we were tuning for a race thats different .then we would leave just a lite coat of wax on.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1722 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Hardly anyone is working on smitty sleds this time of year - putting them away right now.  Here is a variation that I build in the past year.  Still needs paint but seems to work and is durable.  Wheels and axles removable.  Bolted together base machine screws with wingnuts.  Can assemble for transport with only a screwdriver.  Box is bolted onto base with wingnuts.  This way, I can lift box and whole thing over rough terrain.  Me, and a buddy can sit on the box and fish.  The base is about 4 inches wider than box - I can strap a popup shelter along the side just below auger and spud (see tennis ball and red spud).  Thanks to others on this thread for all the ideas that went into this.  Metal piece on the front holds my fish finder between spots.  Probably a bucket holder on the back of box would be next.

s

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1723 on: Mar 04, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Looking for ideas for a smitty style skis attached to large hub which retract or swing to each side. Plan to use on an Evo2.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Smat64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1724 on: Mar 16, 2018, 01:26 PM »
here is my evo2 on a smitty. used the ice screws for assembly

Fish On! zzzzzzzz

Offline Buck41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1725 on: Mar 16, 2018, 02:28 PM »
This is mine I made this season. It’s been great on the ice.

"Give none Take none"

Offline Full_Choke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1726 on: Mar 20, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Buck, I was going to have my weld shop do the same set up as you. Why not one step farther and do alum skis?

Offline Buck41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1727 on: Mar 20, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Hey full choke
I thought about it but the skis I think will work for a long time but you point is valid. This thing evolves all the time. First the auger mount and now I am thinking about bucket rings on the back. I am very happy with it. I also made it so I can haul my Frabill Trekker 2. Hope yours gets done, post pictures.

"Give none Take none"

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1728 on: Mar 21, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Hey full choke
I thought about it but the skis I think will work for a long time but you point is valid. This thing evolves all the time. First the auger mount and now I am thinking about bucket rings on the back. I am very happy with it. I also made it so I can haul my Frabill Trekker 2. Hope yours gets done, post pictures.

That is awesome. Great idea. I have been looking to do something similar for my 2 man flipover. This winter I attached the skis to the bottom of the sled with spacers .. my fatass is causing the sled to bend over the spacers so I need something with more uniform support. ;-)  I pull it with a grizzly 700 so weight is not an issue. I built an auger mount to the front of the ATV and my electronics go in the cargo box on the back.
Now I need to do is learn to weld or pay someone local here in Ontario to do it for me.
Again .. nice design.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1729 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Does someone make the aluminum kit (less the skis) that non-welders could purchase?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Buck41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1730 on: Mar 21, 2018, 03:59 PM »
That one was made with stuff I had around the shop.  The pipe is just irrigation drops 3/4” and 1/2”. I found them at the farm store for five bucks each. The 1/2 pipe fits into the 3/4 pipe so it makes it easy to raise  or lower the sled for deeper snow and to take apart for transport. The main frame was some angle pieces I had. The white basket you see is a setup I made from a HF cargo carrier and added some plywood sides and a bottom. I use that when I am on the move hole hopping. I can take the basket off and load my flipover shanty as needed.  I am not the best tig welder but I get by. Sure pulls nice and easy for a wore out GI.  :-\
"Give none Take none"

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1731 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:05 PM »
There is a product called 80/20 (extruded aluminum) that uses t-slots to bolt together. Lightweight and very strong, plus since it's slotted it's easy to adjust. I've made 2 sleds with this stuff and it's easy to put together and reconfigure if you need to.
https://www.8020.net
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1732 on: Mar 22, 2018, 05:54 AM »
There is a product called 80/20 (extruded aluminum) that uses t-slots to bolt together. Lightweight and very strong, plus since it's slotted it's easy to adjust. I've made 2 sleds with this stuff and it's easy to put together and reconfigure if you need to.
I guess if your building Smitty sleds with it it isn't too expensive. I figured about 14 feet at .40 Cents a foot. Then the brackets to hold it together.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1733 on: Mar 22, 2018, 06:25 AM »
can you post a pic of your sled using this stuff? and what was your total cost (not including skiis)
wouldn't https://8020.net/shop/30-3030.html work? 30mm x30 mm. half the price

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #1734 on: Mar 22, 2018, 07:15 AM »
If your going to build with aluminum, the prices started going up with the tariff announcements. We buy quite a bit at the machine shop and some suppliers got on the band wagon fast. Just a heads up, buy now before they all get on board.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1735 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Hold on there. I thought it said 40 cents a foot. It is 40 cents an inch. Forget it.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1736 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Hold on there. I thought it said 40 cents a foot. It is 40 cents an inch. Forget it.
LOL! 40 cents a foot would be a no brainer! cost 12 times as much as you thought. the cost of the 30mm stock is almost half of the 45mm stock

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #1737 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Those custom extrusions get pricey. Best to scrounge around, scrap yards, machine shop drops etc if you desire aluminum. Easy enough to saw, drill, fabricate with common tools. Plenty of guys out there will weld it up for you if you've gathered all the components.

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1738 on: Oct 30, 2018, 12:42 PM »
somebody once made a sled with knock down legs so you could drop your load to ground level.  then snap it back up to 8 inches when you are ready to walk home

anybody have those photos?

I too have been looking for this, can't seem to find it. I'd like to integrate something like that into a flip-over, but it would be nice to see what has been done before.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1739 on: Nov 10, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Started working on sled #2. This is what I have so far. Sorry about the large photos but this is what my phone takes and every time I try to resize them the picture quality is horible. I also tried to use the image posting on this site but the photos never work.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jaycub/newsled01.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jaycub/newsled02.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jaycub/newsled03.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jaycub/newsled04.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jaycub/newsled05.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jaycub/newsled06.jpg
jbird68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.