Author Topic: Nu Way kerosene stove  (Read 4406 times)

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
Nu Way kerosene stove
« on: Aug 30, 2010, 08:38 AM »
The other day I asked a few questions about wood stoves, and got some great input.  I found a similar stove for much cheaper, however it burns kerosene.  It's an older stove by Nu Way (same as the wood stove), however never used.  I've never used a kerosene stove, nor been in a shack that has one.  What are the advantages/disadvantages using a kerosene stove?  Compared to a wood stove, which would you choose?  I'm set on getting a vented stove, I have a hole in the roof of the shack from storm damage, this would be a perfect patch.   

Offline BLD

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Nu Way kerosene stove
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I use a Trekker diesel stove in my 12x6.5 ice shack. The stove is adjustable from 4000 - 12000 btu's , fuel consumption on the highest setting is about 0.12 us gal/hr. I love this stove, just set it and forget it. I'm not familiar with the the NU Way stove but assuming that it is similar to the Trekker, if the price is right then I think you would be happy with that stove. The nice thing is that you have no wood to carry around, no hot one minute and cold the next, no ash and no mess.
The Trekker only burns raw diesel/kerosene at start up and then burns fumes only and is vented through a 3" pipe through the roof and there is no odor, I use a 3" exhaust pipe I had cut from a muffler shop, works great.
Hope this helps.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2010, 03:49 PM »
That helps, thanks.  It is a duel fuel stove as well, and comes with everything.  It has a small tank for the fuel, stove, and the 3" stove pipe kit with damper.  Sounds like they are nearly the same thing.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Kero is a very dirty fuel to handle. I would stay away from it. Once its on things it is very hard to get cleaned up. It will spread to the ice and water and all that comes in contact with it.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline CentralCommand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2010, 05:06 PM »
where did you find the stove at a store i hope i would not mind looking in to one also.  i am not sure yet what kind of heater i will be using this winter. 

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2010, 05:29 PM »
This guy is in Maple Grove, I have seen a few posted on CL but not sure if it's the same fellow.  There is a guy in Monticello though that sells these out of his home, check out CL and you should see him.  If not PM me and I'll get you his website.  He has pretty good prices too.  I don't think Nu Way makes the duel fuel anymore, just propane and wood. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.