Author Topic: inline ice reel  (Read 1519 times)

Offline ryebread

• IceShanty Rookie
inline ice reel
« on: Nov 28, 2018, 11:45 AM »
so looking to get a inline ice reel for this season. i have never used one before.  anyone have any suggestions for a inline under $50?

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: inline ice reel
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2018, 01:14 PM »
13 fishing has some good reels in that price range.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2018, 02:09 PM »
If possible try or borrow a couple, they seem all over the map, and different people prefer different things.  I got a few, the $100 dollar reel will probably never get used again, but the $25 dollar reel is great. 

Well under $50, the CGi reel would be where i started. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Take a look at the wright & McGill
 Fish USA $45.00

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I have 3 GTI's they are good reels but I think they are discontinued. I think the Descent Reel is it's replacement.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2018, 05:03 PM »
 The Desent reels are where I'm spending my money now. I have used frabill, eagle claws ,number 8 fishing ,Black Betty Black Betty is the best but it should be cost the most and the one 3 Desent. I have a good luck with all of them though. I love the inline reels not everybody does but to each their own.

Offline Chris Ossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2018, 05:20 PM »
The Frabill 371 has treated me well. You can find them for less than $50 when on sale.

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2018, 06:45 PM »
decent by 13 fish are very good, I have one of them and been very happy with it. I have 3 eagle claws and no longer use them, in my opinion they are junk and I hated mine. I also have 3 freefall ghost, love them. look for reels that have a "hood" on the backside of the reel, otherwise you be continuing to rub the spool on the palm of your hand when reeling up or letting line out.

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Good point beast!👍

Offline HunterDan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:17 PM »
I have a couple of black Betty’s that I really like but I just picked up the scheels guide series inline. Supposed to be similar to the descent for $31 but has the scheels warranty on it.

Offline HunterDan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:17 PM »
I have a couple of black Betty’s that I really like but I just picked up the scheels guide series inline. Supposed to be similar to the descent for $31 but has the scheels warranty on it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Take a look at the wright & McGill
 Fish USA $45.00
Looks like a good reel? Last I knew it is left hand retrieve, it can be changed to right hand but it is kind of a hassle.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline icecoldangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:56 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Inline-Fishing-24-Inch/dp/B00ADKKKDE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544129300&sr=8-3&keywords=eagle+claw+inline+combo

Eagle Claw is pretty much the originators of the modern inline ice reel.  Great quality at fair cost.  I bought one last year because of all the hype.  There's definitely a small learning curve with getting the settings adjusted and getting used the differences in function.  Personally, I still prefer my spinning rods much more.  I'm glad I didn't get a super expensive one, because I found out I'm just not a fan of the inline style.

Offline minimalist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:52 PM »
What is the advantage to an "inline" reel. Just about bought one at Scheels...then I began to question why spend the money if I don't really know what the big deal is? Should I get one?

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:01 PM »
I just picked up a decent by 13 fishing. Looking forward to trying it out this season. I believe one advantage would be that the line is less likely to coil when coming off the reel and going down the hole. At least that's what I gathered.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:53 PM »
What is the advantage to an "inline" reel. Just about bought one at Scheels...then I began to question why spend the money if I don't really know what the big deal is? Should I get one?
Have you ever used a camera???  I couldnt believe how much my jigs were spinning with a spinning reel in 30 FOW... and fish don't like it. If the bite is tough it makes alot of difference. I have seen jumbo perch swim up to a spinning jig watch it spin 20 times one way then 10 back the other and swim off. With the inline reels your jig hits the sweet spot and may barely spin a half turn, i use the Eagle Claws and generally like them. There will be a learning curve and it takes time to get everything dialed in but all in all...... A  big difference maker in my book for sure...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:12 PM »
HT models at about $15. Got 2 of them on 24" rods for inside the shanty. Probably the lightest ones out there. Only drawback...no freefall.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.