Author Topic: How many?  (Read 4437 times)

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: How many?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2007, 03:05 AM »
i just read that Lake Champlain's max depth is over 400 feet ,how can you possibly fish that deep with that many lines????  i have a hard enough time setting my 3rd before I'm chasing the first.....
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2007, 04:03 AM »
i just read that Lake Champlain's max depth is over 400 feet ,how can you possibly fish that deep with that many lines????  i have a hard enough time setting my 3rd before I'm chasing the first.....
  Who in their right mind would fish 400' of water in a lake anyway? ???
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:38 AM »
  Who in their right mind would fish 400' of water in a lake anyway? ???
Not me , I rarely need to get any deeper than 10 - 15 feet .

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:22 AM »
We are allowed 5 in mass. and I'd like to see them up more often this year!

smitty :tipup:

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:30 AM »
we have a couple spots on the bays of lake superior where we are in 300+ ft. of water.  we use plastic coated steel core line on wooden gebus.  its a blast pulling up a lake trout hand over hand, you just never know how big a fish you are going to get.
da splake chaser

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:36 AM »
2 lines thru the ice, any combo... 1 line per person from a boat or shore.
And you have to maintain visual contact with both lines at all times. Buddy of mine was in the shack and looking thru a window at his tip-up, when the flag went up he ran out to get it, and game warden was there. He charged him cuz he wasn't able to see his line inside the shack, while outside with the other.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:34 AM »
And you have to maintain visual contact with both lines at all times. Buddy of mine was in the shack and looking thru a window at his tip-up, when the flag went up he ran out to get it, and game warden was there. He charged him cuz he wasn't able to see his line inside the shack, while outside with the other.

That's weak.  I wonder the the CO went back to the shack to see if the line was in the water or not.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:18 PM »
That is BULLcrap!!! >:( I think I would have fought that one! What if he had to walk off the ice to whiz or get something from his vehicle? What do they expect you to do?...Pull all your lines because you stepped away for 2 minutes??? In Pa. the law states no unattended lines which more or less means you can't set up then go back to the truck for a nap or drive into town for lunch etc. etc. As long as you're in reasonable proximity to your spread...there's no problem.....WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 30, 2007, 02:51 AM »
That must have been one grumpy CO!  I do wish I could have two lines here in Ontario, on tough days it'd be nice to have a dead stick or a tipup in addition to jigging.   >:(

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #39 on: Nov 30, 2007, 03:14 AM »
That must have been one grumpy CO!  I do wish I could have two lines here in Ontario, on tough days it'd be nice to have a dead stick or a tipup in addition to jigging.   >:(
I was a "tip-up" guy for most of my years ice fishing. I would put out 5 tip-ups and on good days run like all get out trying to keep up. On bad days...I was bored. In the past 5-6 years I have gotten into jigging a lot more and I love it!!! Any more I only put out a couple of tip-ups and I move around a lot jigging. It's kind of funny when a guy like yourself wishes for more lines...and a guy like me uses less and less each year...Go figure?...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 30, 2007, 10:42 AM »
How many tipups does your state or providence allow you to use at one time?  In NY it is five tip-ups or tip downs and 2 hand lines. 

How many can you have on Champlain ???

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2007, 07:28 PM »
You can put 15 tip-ups in Lake Champlain. Believe me when I tell you, I have done this, and also believe that it is not worth the effort even in shallow water. If the fish are biting, 5 tip-ups are plenty enough, if they are not biting then you could be staring at 15 tip-ups that never have a flag going up, and you will be wrapping up tip-ups and losing fingers to frost bite for a good hour at the end of the day. 

Do you remember the pro wrestler from the 1970's in the WWF named Chief Jay Strongbow? His signature winning maneuver was the Strongbow dance which would send him on his way to kicking ass. The dance looks an awful lot like the one I have done with frozen finger pain from wrapping up too many tip-ups in sub-zero weather. Perhaps Chief Jay was a veteran of the Lake Champlain ice fishing scene before joining the WWF.

I am happy with having 5 + 2 in NY. That allows a nice mix of perch and pike rigs in waters that have both, and the ability to cover a large area to find the fish in general.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Crappiekeith

« Reply #42 on: Nov 30, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Here in Mn. we get 2 lines no matter the combination.
When I'm fishing I'm most always using just 1.
When I'm catching 50 fish in 60 minutes....who's got time for a second line and when it's slow I'm busy with that one line working the fish.
Ya, I may run a tip up from time to time or run a dead stick ,but 90 % of the time I'm doing 1.
How many fish can a guy catch anyway.

Offline mr niceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:08 PM »
Manitoba CA

open water = 1 line per person
hard water = 2 lines per person (any combination) 

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Nov 30, 2007, 09:18 PM »
In massachusetts we are aloud 2 line per person in open water and hard water we are aloud 5 per person. I have 2 kids so that means I get to use 15 tip-ups at one time.(((((FLAG))))) :tipup:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #45 on: Dec 01, 2007, 08:06 AM »
I would rather be allowed fewer lines in a state or province that has awesome places to fish, than more lines in a state that has lesser quality fisheries. The 7 lines total that I am allowed in NY do not do any good when nothing is there to bite on them or if the fish are too small to be interesting. I would like to trade my situation in NY for the 2 line rule in Manitoba for a season, and see which place yields more or better fish.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Dec 01, 2007, 08:51 AM »
So just fish with 2 tip-ups and see how you like it. It is a good idea.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.