Author Topic: Light through tip up hole  (Read 665 times)

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Light through tip up hole
« on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:40 PM »
Does light coming through tip up hole scare fish ? Does blocking light help catch more fish ?

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Light through tip up hole
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:52 PM »
Have caught fish with the holes open amd with the hole covers not letting any light in. I know back in the day we would put flashlights on the ice and tried one down the hole once and tried that with out much luck, I know some guys that swear by the green light around the hut. With no snow on the ice sometimes that helps it seems. I have heard if you plow and let the light in the perch might bite better, just not sure what all works or does not but the light through the hole or not does not seem to make a difference in my case.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:38 AM »
Great question.

In my experience, the answer is, it depends…

I have found that light will sometimes attract fish at night and other times, it will deter them. Even in the same lake for the same species.

When I’m night fishing, I will often bring a Coleman lantern out with me so I can see what I’m doing. I also have a small headlamp I use as well.

Some nights, the fish will congregate in holes right below the lantern where the light is pouring in. Other nights, the fish will congregate at the holes just outside the lantern’s range.

My advice:

Drill a series of holes with some inside the cone of light and others beyond it and let the fish decide what they want. If they’re hitting below the light, use the light to draw fish in.

If they’re hitting in the holes that are outside the light, kill it and fish in the dark using only your headlamp when you need it.

Most headlamps have a red light feature that allow you to see somewhat without spooking fish and wildlife as much, so use that if the fish seem particularly light-shy.

As I noted before, every night can be different, so if the light drew them in yesterday, don’t automatically assume it will do the same tonight. Experiment each night and let the fish tell you what they want.

Good luck!

Butcher

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2024, 09:35 AM »
I use hole covers only when it's 20f and below to keep the holes from freezing they have to be foam like the beaver dam style ones . It does keep them from freezing up. I use them on my autos too better than using the bobber with mineral oil. But I see no difference other wise.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2024, 09:55 AM »
These are the hole covers I use, hypalon gasket material that I get 12 inch rounds out of pioneer gasket, have had these for 14 years and they work great

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:08 PM »
Does light coming through tip up hole scare fish ? Does blocking light help catch more fish ?

The better question is does light actually shine through that much? I'm not a fish, but I have yet to see an underwater camera showing a hole shining like a flashlight. Most of the time you can only see the hole if you look right at the ice. It's just a tiny hole on a huge body of water, and water is reflective. So unless you are on a deep snow pack, and its high noon with the sun shining straight down the hole, I don't see how much light can get down there.

My take, I do not think your hole has anywhere near the effect the wind drifting snow, ice cracks, and other natural sources of variable light. I regularly fish both with and without hole covers.
-Tom

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2024, 02:42 PM »
Im not sure it matters either but i like using hole covers 100% of the time.no frozen holes or tipups freezing in is why i use them not to darken the hole up.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2024, 03:00 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts . I think you might be right pikehunter, maybe it’s not shining down there like a beam of light. Lots of snow pack sunny day , maybe? I’m starting to lean towards it doesn’t typically really matter

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2024, 06:15 PM »
Im not sure it matters either but i like using hole covers 100% of the time.no frozen holes or tipups freezing in is why i use them not to darken the hole up.

For sure, hole covers are almost a necessity when it's either blowing snow, or very cold.
-Tom

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:34 PM »
I think it depends on the fish.  You need to let them decide what they want.  It also depends on the fish your chasing. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.