Author Topic: Officer dies trying to save angler that fell through the ice  (Read 2076 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac

What a shame. Please don't take any unnecessary risks not only for yourself but others.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Rowdie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Old Wrestling Coach
Re: Officer dies trying to save angler that fell through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:54 AM »
Very Sad  Prayers to the family!
"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy"  Dan Gable

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Thats tough news... :(

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Condolences to his family, That's why we don't take chances!
McPerch

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Hats off to those that give all.
Prayers for the family

rivereddy

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:22 PM »
RIP, brother officer. My condolences to his family.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:48 PM »
  that's sad news ,that can happen to anyone
   falling  throw ice then people come to the  recuse
  the weather is now warming  up,
   we need to become smarter fisherman !!
  now that were going into the later part of the season
  . Be smart out there !!
     :'(
snowsnake

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:48 PM »
My Condolence's to Officer Lagore's family!

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:59 PM »
Very sorry to hear this news. 
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:25 PM »
Very sad to hear this and condolences to him and his family and fellow LEOs. I would like to hear if the 2 he was attempting to save made it or not. I have taken a cold water dunk twice as a younger guy and never want to do it again. Lucky for me and my pals the water was just waist deep and we got out pretty easily but just 10 feet further and it would have been much different. We had tested the ice with our spuds and it was a solid 5 inches until we hit the spot where the current flowed and one hit with the spud was all it took.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:28 PM »
I would like to hear if the 2 he was attempting to save made it or not.

16 year old girl got trapped under the ice and died.  13 year old boy got himself out and went for help.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:37 PM »
Terribly sad.

I have posted here before about the dangers of venturing onto questionable ice. I have received many responses basically saying: I am taking the risk so it's nobody's business but mine. My response was exactly what happened with this brave rescuer. If I decide to take a risk and venture onto ice that I know or suspect may be unsafe, I am risking not only MY life but the lives of OTHERS who may try to help me. As I said before to anyone knowingly venturing onto unsafe ice, think about what you are going to say to the loved ones of that person who died while attempting to save you. No fish is worth anyone's life.

Godspeed and God Bless officer Lagore.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:39 PM »
16 year old girl got trapped under the ice and died.  13 year old boy got himself out and went for help.

Really a tragedy, Prayers for all.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:40 PM »
Wow that sucks.
I have argued against taking chances several times and used the argument of putting first responders at risk. I've actually seen guys claim first responders don't mind, that's their job. I think that's a BS argument. I'd bet that officer's family would agree.

Last night I had to spoil my 14 year old's plan of going out today alone. It's been above freezing for a few days and over 50 yesterday. When I heard he intended to cross a pond with strong current going through, I put the kibosh on his plan. It didn't help that a guy died in that very same pond last year. My kid acted like I was a mean guy for spoiling his fun.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2021, 02:01 PM »
Condolences to officer Lagores family and friends. That's very sad.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2021, 02:24 PM »
RIP, I hate seeing stories like this. As fisherman, i feel its our responsibility to be prepared in those instances, so others dont have to risk their own health and safety to rescue us. I always keep a change of clothes in the car and if im on the ice, my ice spikes are always around my neck. doesnt matter is there is a foot or more of ice, ill keep them on. A throw rope stays in the sled and the bibs i wear act as a float suit. Not to mention my spud. Better safe than sorry when it comes to these situations. Death can come far too easily in winter if you arent prepared.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2021, 02:33 PM »
Thats heartbreaking.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:36 PM »
very sad for sure   ,,,,     my condolences to his family and friends,,, thoughts and prayers to all .     
youngster

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:31 PM »
Rest in peace.  When you sign up for a job like that you do it knowing there are life threatening risks. God bless him for trading his safety for someone else's.  If we are paying him respects we should keep it to that instead of going back and forth about ice safety.  Just my opinion.  Theres threads for that already.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Condolences to the dedicated Officer and his Family and Friends!! Bless him for his sacrafice for others!! Proudly RIP Sir!!   O.P.
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:58 PM »
RIP Brother.

Offline Nofishem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:30 PM »
Tragic but read the story before judging.

https://www.fox19.com/2021/02/24/teen-odnr-officer-die-double-tragedy-state-park/

By Jennifer Edwards Baker and FOX19 Digital Staff | February 23, 2021 at 10:54 PM EST - Updated February 25 at 12:10 PM
HIGHLAND COUNTY, Ohio (FOX19) - A 16-year-old girl and a veteran Ohio Department of Natural Resources officer both died in a double tragedy at a state park late Tuesday.

The teen drowned after falling through ice in the lake at Rocky Fork State Park. Her body was trapped under ice for hours and she was unresponsive when divers found and pulled her from the water about 11 p.m., ODNR officials said.

The 16-year-old teen was found with sonar technology, according to Capt. Sean McAllister, Loveland Symmes Fire Department.

“We were able to locate the missing teen girl and remove her from the water,” the captain said.

Officer Jason Lagore suffered a medical emergency while on the dock after joining the search. Officials say Lagor fell into the lake after suffering a medical emergency.

ODNR announced his in the line of duty death Wednesday morning.

Officer Lagore was with ODNR for 15 years. He is survived by his wife, Michelle, two young sons, and K-9 partner, “Sarge.”

“Our hearts are with the family and loved ones of Officer Jason Lagore, who died in the line of duty last night,” said ODNR Director Mary Mertz.

“Our law enforcement officers and their families carry a unique and challenging burden of responsibilities, and we are deeply grateful for their service.”

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Thoughts and prayers.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2021, 06:11 AM »
Still sad, but makes more sense.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2021, 07:08 AM »
So sad....the girl was trying to save her brother, who fell in. Officer Lagore died of a heart attack during the rescue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/02/25/rocky-fork-lake-drowning-ohio-officer-dies-girl-drowns-rescue/6816928002/
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Tragic but read the story before judging.

https://www.fox19.com/2021/02/24/teen-odnr-officer-die-double-tragedy-state-park/

By Jennifer Edwards Baker and FOX19 Digital Staff | February 23, 2021 at 10:54 PM EST - Updated February 25 at 12:10 PM
HIGHLAND COUNTY, Ohio (FOX19) - A 16-year-old girl and a veteran Ohio Department of Natural Resources officer both died in a double tragedy at a state park late Tuesday.

The teen drowned after falling through ice in the lake at Rocky Fork State Park. Her body was trapped under ice for hours and she was unresponsive when divers found and pulled her from the water about 11 p.m., ODNR officials said.

The 16-year-old teen was found with sonar technology, according to Capt. Sean McAllister, Loveland Symmes Fire Department.

“We were able to locate the missing teen girl and remove her from the water,” the captain said.

Officer Jason Lagore suffered a medical emergency while on the dock after joining the search. Officials say Lagor fell into the lake after suffering a medical emergency.

ODNR announced his in the line of duty death Wednesday morning.

Officer Lagore was with ODNR for 15 years. He is survived by his wife, Michelle, two young sons, and K-9 partner, “Sarge.”

“Our hearts are with the family and loved ones of Officer Jason Lagore, who died in the line of duty last night,” said ODNR Director Mary Mertz.

“Our law enforcement officers and their families carry a unique and challenging burden of responsibilities, and we are deeply grateful for their service.”

Who's judging?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.