Author Topic: Holes in Shanty FLOOR  (Read 828 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Holes in Shanty FLOOR
« on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:54 AM »
I am designing a new shanty.

Looking for opinions please!

If I make the shanty sled with holes in the bottom, will the snow fill the shanty while towing?
Or do you think it could get caught when objects stick up on shore or on the lake?

I know it would work fine on slick ice (no snow) but will I have to engineer a way to keep out the snow?

Thanks
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Holes in Shanty FLOOR
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Hole covers!! Google them!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:56 AM »

If I make the shanty sled with holes in the bottom, will the snow fill the shanty while towing?
Or do you think it could get caught when objects stick up on shore or on the lake?

I know it would work fine on slick ice (no snow) but will I have to engineer a way to keep out the snow?

Thanks
i can tell you my jet sled developed a hole and the corner from dragging and the amount of snow that thing scoops up is  crazy...

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:59 AM »

Thanks

Look for some info/photos of the Shappell Bay Runner - might provide you with some ideas for your project.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:38 AM »
i can tell you my jet sled developed a hole and the corner from dragging and the amount of snow that thing scoops up is  crazy...
Thats what I'm worried about!

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:40 AM »
When we got thick ice we use to have a homemade hut we put 3 holes with covers and hinges
McPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Look for some info/photos of the Shappell Bay Runner - might provide you with some ideas for your project.
I checked the Shappell and that did answer some questions, Thanks

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2021, 03:18 PM »
Yes open holes  will allow snow to come in the hut while towing in snow that kisses the bottom of the sled.   We used the piece of plywood cut from the hole and hinge it on one side and let it close against a stop block from the underside.  And yes I even had the hut get caught on raised ice chunks on the lake, so attach a solid latch on top of the hole cover.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Yes open holes  will allow snow to come in the hut while towing in snow that kisses the bottom of the sled.   We used the piece of plywood cut from the hole and hinge it on one side and let it close against a stop block from the underside.  And yes I even had the hut get caught on raised ice chunks on the lake, so attach a solid latch on top of the hole cover.
I thank you! I will try to keep this in mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.