Author Topic: 20# tank to Big Buddy Heater  (Read 2610 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
20# tank to Big Buddy Heater
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:52 PM »
I read the manual and still not sure. Can you connect the hose from the 20#’er to either side of the Big Buddy? I’ve always used the right side to connect to, can you use either side?

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 20# tank to Big Buddy Heater
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:20 PM »
I have used both sides without any issues. Just make sure you have the filter if not using the right hose.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:40 PM »
Thanks, I do have the right hose.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2021, 09:27 PM »
What is the "right" hose? I just upgraded from a buddy to the green big buddy and don't know if I can use the hose I used with my buddy. Do I need a hose with a regulator?

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:38 AM »
They sell some hoses that do not need the filter to run the bulk, dirty, tanks.  If you have run your old buddy heater with the hose you should be good to go, I have also heard that some of the hoses break down when the propane is going through it which makes the dirtier propane.  I have had the same filter for years now without any issue.  Hope this helps.  Thanks.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:36 AM »
The regulator is built into the buddy heater, you can’t send propane into any heater without a regulator. The owner’s manual tells which hose is the good one. It doesn’t need a filter but a regulator is always needed.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:46 AM »
My Big Buddy has a quick disconnect for making a single connection to a bulk propane tank to allow using the Lo/Med/Hi burner settings - basically both sides - of the heater.  The Mr. Heater hose I bought for it came with a regulator on the tank connection end and the QD body on the other end for the heater connection.  No filter.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:13 PM »
You better check, not all are filter free. Be sure. I’m surprised by the responses how many think if it’s a Mr Heater hose it’s ok. That’s NOT the case, be sure. Only one or two don’t require a filter.  If that was the right hose it wouldn’t have a regulator on it I don’t think, I think you do not have a filter free hose. Not 100% sure, but about 80%.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Model# F273704 is the hose that does not require a filter.  All other hoses from Mr. Heater require a filter.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:28 PM »
You better check, not all are filter free. Be sure. I’m surprised by the responses how many think if it’s a Mr Heater hose it’s ok. That’s NOT the case, be sure. Only one or two don’t require a filter.  If that was the right hose it wouldn’t have a regulator on it I don’t think, I think you do not have a filter free hose. Not 100% sure, but about 80%.

Hose I use came equipped with a regulator - no filter.  Made specifically for the Mr. Heater Big Buddy with the quick disconnect attachment.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:26 AM »
F271803 is the correct hose for the big buddy with the quick connect on it. No filter is required with this hose. You can use any of the other hoses that fit but Mr Heater recommends you use a filter in the line with them. Some here have mentioned some sort of oil that comes either from the tank or the hose itself that can clog up the lines so I would do a bit of research on that. Others here who have the big buddy with the fans that run on 4 D size batteries or an optional wall adapter gave me great advice. The Mr Heater wall adapter states an output voltage of 6V @ 800 Ma. I bought one and before I ever plugged it into my fan I measured the actual output voltage and it reads 10.5 V which is more than double what the fan motor requires and I will not use it out of fear it will blow the fan motor.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:51 AM »
10ft Buddy Series Propane Hose Assembly connects appliances that are designed to be connected to a 1lb bottle to 5 to 20lb tanks.
Swivel 1 - 20 Male Throwaway Cylinder Thread x Soft Nose Excess Flow P.O.L. with Hand wheel
Connects appliances that are designed to be connected to 1 lb. bottles to 5 to 20 lb. tanks
Connects to low pressure and high pressure tanks
Specially designed material eliminates need for fuel filter
Hand tighten swivels on both ends

I don't see this line on Mr Heater site for your hose, do you? I do see the thing on the bottom of Bucket Ramps post that shows 3 hoses that don't need a filter, is this one of them? It's too blurry to read. BUT, you don't need a regulator for a Big Buddy, it's built in. Just be sure is the bottom line. The hose with the regulator is made for grills, other heaters,  etc. Anywhere where propane quality and cleanliness is not regulated. Like Minnesota-no standards in Mn.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:02 AM »
10ft Buddy Series Propane Hose Assembly connects appliances that are designed to be connected to a 1lb bottle to 5 to 20lb tanks.
Swivel 1 - 20 Male Throwaway Cylinder Thread x Soft Nose Excess Flow P.O.L. with Hand wheel
Connects appliances that are designed to be connected to 1 lb. bottles to 5 to 20 lb. tanks

I don't see this line on Mr Heater site for your hose, do you? I do see the thing on the bottom of Bucket Ramps post that shows 3 hoses that don't need a filter, is this one of them? It's too blurry to read. BUT, you don't need a regulator for a Big Buddy, it's built in. Just be sure is the bottom line. The hose with the regulator is made for grills, other heaters,  etc. Anywhere where propane quality and cleanliness is not regulated. Like Minnesota-no standards in Mn.

www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/mr-heater-f273704

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:17 AM »
Can I ask, how long does a filter last. I have a metal filter from Mr. Buddy. Can you clean the filter?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2021, 06:58 PM »
The regulator is built into the buddy heater, you can’t send propane into any heater without a regulator. The owner’s manual tells which hose is the good one. It doesn’t need a filter but a regulator is always needed.

The regulator is built into the 1lb tank coupling on the Big Buddy and all other using that connector, I use 20lb tanks in my Big Buddy with the 1lb connector.   For some reason I have to put an empty 1 lb tank on the other side thou.  Heater won't go on High either unless i have gas going into both sides..

For $40-50 you get a hose with quick coupler and regulator. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:12 PM »
The regulator is built into the 1lb tank coupling on the Big Buddy and all other using that connector, I use 20lb tanks in my Big Buddy with the 1lb connector.   For some reason I have to put an empty 1 lb tank on the other side thou.  Heater won't go on High either unless i have gas going into both sides..

For $40-50 you get a hose with quick coupler and regulator.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/mr-heater-f271803 , $30.99 plus shipping and tax

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:11 AM »

I got mine from Amazon 4 years ago for $27. Looks like the price has gone up a bit. I wonder if it has been replaced with a newer model?

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2021, 12:20 AM »
Can I ask, how long does a filter last. I have a metal filter from Mr. Buddy. Can you clean the filter?

Anyone know the answer?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2021, 05:20 AM »
The filters seem to last quite a while - I use a filter on my regular Buddy Heater when I run it off my 5lb tank with a hose and have used the same filter for 3 seasons.  I probably use that heater 25-30 days per season and have had that particular heater for at least 10 years and it's on its second filter - I misplaced the first one.  You can find deals on them off Amazon from time to time.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2021, 11:08 AM »
Thanks, I use a 20# tank to refill 1#tanks. I use the filter because I am afraid to use dirty fuel, which you realize is liquid/gas. I wish i could find out when to replace a filter or clean it. Places don't advise the refilling of 1# tanks but the price has really skyrocketed. Last year I paid $4 a tank now my tackle shop charged me $6.50
AKA Dinkmaster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.