Author Topic: Boots: Striker Ice or Clam ice armor subzero X?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Boots: Striker Ice or Clam ice armor subzero X?
« on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:33 PM »
Im needing to get a new pair of ice boots.  Any opinions on the Striker Ice or Clam ice armor subzero X boots?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Boots: Striker Ice or Clam ice armor subzero X?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2021, 10:03 PM »
Strikers have been pretty good to me. I wear sock liners, and wool blend boot socks, never needed toe warmers or anything else. I don't spend all day on the ice, but 6 or 7 hours, I never give my feet getting cold a second thought. I don't have the luxury of a wheeler, and walk everywhere, and the striker boots have been pretty comfortable for that.
 There is no removable liner on the Strikers, If you have feet that sweat, they might be tough to dry out?  Hasn't been a problem for me. They also come up just a little bit higher than I would like, not sure how they compared to the clam boots, but the baffin Hunters I used to have were definitely not as tall. They weren't as warm either. Pretty easy off and on and run true to size.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2021, 12:33 AM »
I personally like the Sub Zero X's. I have been wearing them since they came out. I had the original Sub Zero boots before the X's came out and they were just as good. I find that when I pair them with the Clam Liner socks and the Clam Merino wool sock my feet never get cold even if they get wet (stepped in a 10 inch hole once and filled my boot with cold water once). One suggestion I have is to go up one size from what your normal shoe size is. this little bit of extra space gives you room for the thicker wool socks and leaves a little extra air space around your foot too. if your foot is too tight inside the boot it can lead to cold feet regardless of brand of boots. another plus for the Sub Zero X's is that you can order extra liner sets for them if you happen to have sweaty feet and don't have time to dry the liners completely between uses.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2021, 04:56 AM »
PM sent
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2021, 07:46 AM »
I have baffins now, about 6 yrs old and wearing down.  They are warm buy BIG and not easy to walk in or drive. Those with experiences with these two boots, thoughts on these conaiderations between the two items?

Keep you warm and dry?

How are they for walking?

Easy to put on and take off?

How do they fit on the calf? I have large calfs and dont like boots that constrict there.  Happy medium between not tight on calf but not so loose that its hard to get bibs bottoms over the boot.

Thank you.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:00 AM »
PM sent

hey, Whoa now. No secrets, please share with the class.  ;D

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:08 AM »
I have baffins now, about 6 yrs old and wearing down.  They are warm buy BIG and not easy to walk in or drive. Those with experiences with these two boots, thoughts on these conaiderations between the two items?

Keep you warm and dry?

How are they for walking?

Easy to put on and take off?

How do they fit on the calf? I have large calfs and dont like boots that constrict there.  Happy medium between not tight on calf but not so loose that its hard to get bibs bottoms over the boot.

Thank you.

Go up a size ..this way an added sock layer/thicker as well as insoles and arch support an be added ... I have a pair of LaCrosse boots similar design ..but use them during turkey season ..walk way more then I do ice fishing so I put an arch support in them ..and sometimes a insulated insole..first week or so of the season . I also have the Muck artic Sport ..which I should have went up in size ..both my boots are easy to get off ..calf seems just fine . My suggestion is to try on a pair of the Mucks locally ..really doesnt matter what model and get your sizing down as well as the calf fit ..Dicks..TSC ..etc usually has them
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:03 AM »
I need to update my comments above. The last two weekends my feet were definitely not kept warm in those Striker boots. To be fair, it was about the worst conditions for keeping feet warm, lots of slush, which refroze on the top and sides of the boots, and it was well below zero, not only cold, but not a day I moved around much.

Don’t know what changed, I’m wearing the same socks, sock liners as before, rest of my body wasn’t cold, checked when I got home and no moisture in the boots, so I wasn’t sweating and they didn’t leak. I wasn’t out long, 5 hours or so.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:41 AM »
https://dryshodusa.com/product/arctic-storm-2/

I went with these. I wore my old Muck's out over the years. I went up one size.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:00 AM »
I think I'll get through the season and reassess my boots situation.  Plenty of good options, so many to choose from :)

Offline 1wglanville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Just got some size 14 sub zero x boots. I was worried because my other size 14 neoprene boots are just a little tight in the toe and calf. Not these. Very comfy and lightweight for the size. Haven’t tested them out hard yet, but if they’re as warm as they feel, might just be exactly what I was looking for

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:49 AM »
I have the strcker boots, and have for a couple of years now.  I also have a set of baffin impacts that only get worn on Super cold days.

The issue with the baffins is they are huge and they are not water prrof, if you are standing in 5 inches of water, after an hour or so they start to seep water, but in the super cold they are awesome.

the Strickers keep my feet plenty warm, and I would recommend them,.  if the temps are above zero I have had zero issues.  I wear sock liners and browning wool socks with no issue.  I have also stood in that sluch and water for late ice with zero issues.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2021, 02:17 PM »
The Norfin boots should be considered.  Same concept as the clam boots but a lot lighter and a built in ice cleat.  I love them and they were only $130 shipped to the door.

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:51 AM »
I have used baffin ice bears for the past 6 years and they are awesome.....https://www.baffin.com/products/50160000

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.