Author Topic: Low boots  (Read 2687 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Low boots
« on: Nov 29, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Any opinions on ice boots that are “low” on the calf or just above the ankle? I have large calves and don’t like the high boots.  Want something really warm and
Waterproof as I usually sit on a bucket or in a portable shack with no floor. I currently have some Baffins but they are HUGE and hard to move around in. Thinking about Muck Arctic Excursion ankle boots, or maybe clam sub zero x boots. Thoughts?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Low boots
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2020, 09:37 PM »
Some of the boots, like the Strikers, are designed to be worn with the neoprene top folded down if desired. Might be an option? Muck arctic pro look like they are possibly the same boot. I own the strikers and do fold the top down on warmer days, or if I'm driving with them on, no issues.

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:46 AM »
I know you said you weren't a fan of the Baffins, but I am a large-calved individual and love my Baffin Eigers.  They are a bit lower, and the velcro closures help immensely with the fit.  I do not find them overly bulky for moderate walking distances on the ice.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Some of the boots, like the Strikers, are designed to be worn with the neoprene top folded down if desired. Might be an option? Muck arctic pro look like they are possibly the same boot. I own the strikers and do fold the top down on warmer days, or if I'm driving with them on, no issues.

You can fold down mucks, but as mentioned, there are mucks that only go up to about your ankle that have the same construction.  I like to fold down the mucks on warm days to let my feet breath since my feet tend to sweat, especially in rubber and neoprene.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:07 AM »
Something like the Merrill's, maybe? Timberland makes one like this too you might want to look at. I have 4 pairs of various Merrills and LOVE them. Just wondering if these would be warm enough...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7CHCYU?ots=1&ascsubtag=[]st[p]cj975a1kk001j29yeixkdh nfmKZjglg[d]D[z]m[t]w[r]google.com&tag=thestrategistsite-20
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:24 AM »
Muck makes a shorter boots  Search mens mid ..the site is not the easiest to navigate and very limited on information warmth ratings in particular ae sporadic at best

https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/men-function-cold-snow/products/mens-arctic-excursion-ankle-boots

https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/men-function-cold-snow?_=pf&pf_t_style=style_ankle%20boots&pf_t_style=style_short%20boots
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:22 AM »
I use Muck lace up boots. They have never been that popular, and they change styles all the time, but I have lace up boots with 5mm neoprene, like arctic extremes, and laces. I use them for hunting as well as ice fishing, and no longer use pack boots with felt liners for anything. I bought 3 pairs when I found them, so I am set for a while. They are warm, and so much lighter than other boots I have used.
I see they still have some kinds on the web site, including at least one with thinsulate. I like the unlined, and use heavy socks to absorb the sweat. Then you can change them every day, and don't need to dry out the boots themselves, since neoprene does not absorb anything. You might need to search around Amazon and Ebay to find something similar, but it is worth it if you walk.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:49 AM »
Mickey boots

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:55 AM »
Mickey boots

He wants something just above the ankle.................
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:07 AM »
He wants something just above the ankle.................

Any opinions on ice boots that are “low” on the calf or just above the ankle? I have large calves and don’t like the high boots. 

Or low on the calf.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Any opinions on ice boots that are “low” on the calf or just above the ankle? I have large calves and don’t like the high boots.  Want something really warm and
Waterproof as I usually sit on a bucket or in a portable shack with no floor. I currently have some Baffins but they are HUGE and hard to move around in. Thinking about Muck Arctic Excursion ankle boots, or maybe clam sub zero x boots. Thoughts?

I just purchased a pair of Clam Sub-zero X boots and they are almost as tall as Muck boots.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2020, 06:49 PM »
I know you said you weren't a fan of the Baffins, but I am a large-calved individual and love my Baffin Eigers.  They are a bit lower, and the velcro closures help immensely with the fit.  I do not find them overly bulky for moderate walking distances on the ice.

I have the Eigers too. I don’t have large calves but these boots are very comfortable.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2020, 06:51 PM »
I fish a lot of clam gear but wasn’t a fan of their boots. Low profile article style is going to come hard by unless you consider a set of Muck article and then fold down the tops as previously mentioned. Another boot to consider is   Baffin Men's Snow Monster Insulated Boot... more on the lower profile as your looking for. If it’s because the calfs of the boot are extremely tight, I too have that issue when looking for boots. I currently run Matterhorn waterproof mining series boots and absolutely love em. There more on the price range of Baffin but thes boots are all around easy to move in. I use a set of Yaks that have the Velcro top strap so when the tracks are locked on these boots they never come off
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline 1wglanville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:47 PM »
I also have big calves and just got some sub zero x. Plenty of room on my calves. My old neoprene boots, I folded them down several inches so they wouldn’t pinch. No need on these clam boots. I wear size 14 for reference. Surprisingly light weight for the size too. I’m really excited about them.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:11 AM »
I have a pair of the Muck Artic Ice Mids and love them. They are great boots.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2022, 03:00 PM »
I have a older pair of Ice armor boots that are now deteriorating above the heel. They are always stored inside, but they used some junk material where they should not have.

Online happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2022, 10:39 PM »
Muck makes a shorter boots  Search mens mid ..the site is not the easiest to navigate and very limited on information warmth ratings in particular ae sporadic at best

https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/men-function-cold-snow/products/mens-arctic-excursion-ankle-boots

https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/men-function-cold-snow?_=pf&pf_t_style=style_ankle%20boots&pf_t_style=style_short%20boots
I wear the mickey mouse boots till the ice gets thick enough. Then I switch over to my low profile apex muck boots. I am a big guy
with big calves too.My feet stay warm in them. Glen HH

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2022, 05:12 AM »
Sounds crazy buy a rubber boot with however many grams of insulation you please and sharp pair of scissors make whatever height you want just make sure you're above any of the seams where ankle meets upper. I've done this to pair of lacrosse and Cabela's boots

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.