Author Topic: HT Wind Jigger?????  (Read 2307 times)

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
HT Wind Jigger?????
« on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:06 AM »
I know these have been out for a while.  I just picked one up as a rod holder when I'm jigging, if a flag goes up, was thinking I can just throw my jig rod in the jigger and go for the flag.  Doesn't seem like the base is long enough to support my rod if a fish hits it.   Have a feeling when I come back to my jigging hole, I won't have a rod.   Other than putting an ice screw through the middle of it, anyone have a fix for these things?
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: HT Wind Jigger?????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Could notch the rod holder ..so it locks in ..anchoring the base may help too

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Thanks.   Locking the rod in is a good idea.  Usually when I'm jigging I'm pretty mobile,  Wanted to stay away from taking the time to anchor this thing every time.  Locking the rod in and throwing some snow/slush on top maybe my easiest option.  Hoping for an idea on a light weight base.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:50 AM »
Ya I was looking for something simple that would keep my jig moving.    Just thought of a good idea, "Maybe I can take it off the base that it's on and mount it on my flasher some how...." Not sure if I have room.   ???

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:04 AM »
Ya I was looking for something simple that would keep my jig moving.    Just thought of an good idea, "Maybe I can take it off the base that it's on and mount it on my flasher some how...." Not sure if I have room.   ???

What kind of flasher ..Vexilar makes a rod holder ..but you could make something similar to HTs jigger to add on your flasher with some planning ..do you sit on a bucket ..tons and tons of rod holders that fit on a bucket ..some that can act like a tip down to boot.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:30 AM »
No Bucket, it's a humminbird 55.     

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:50 AM »
Thinking some spring steel ..light PVC ..and duct tape and your off to the races with the R&D part .

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:23 AM »
As much as I love R+D, most of it HT has done already. Just needs some fixin  ;)….  Think I'm going to drill out the rivets and remove the existing rod holder. Cut in a notch in the shape of a squared off C. Reattach it at 90 degrees.  That should lock in the rod.   Then I'll have to look at it  and take it off the board and figure out how to attach it to the flasher or a chair.   That will have to wait till I get home. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:31 AM »
Looking forward to pictures ..you could also use your setup as a dead stick rod holder ..if your not tending to tip ups that day ...live bait deadsticking often brings them in and jigging baits can seal the deal ..and vise versa.

Offline sdbigeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2020, 11:54 PM »
Have been using these wind jiggers for awhile. cats meow as we used to say! as for your rod going down the hole, have had a 24" walleye hit my jig and the rod tip was in the hole just a bouncing. pole never moved out of the holder. a lot of us around here are using the heck out of them. they work great for a deadstick.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Don’t have a dog in this fight yet but that video with the base with an ice anchor through it makes me think I may have to get one. Thanks for the topic!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2020, 03:15 PM »
As much as I love R+D, most of it HT has done already. Just needs some fixin  ;)….  Think I'm going to drill out the rivets and remove the existing rod holder. Cut in a notch in the shape of a squared off C. Reattach it at 90 degrees.  That should lock in the rod.   Then I'll have to look at it  and take it off the board and figure out how to attach it to the flasher or a chair.   That will have to wait till I get home.

My own version of the HT. Made a base from (Plastic-Wood) Trex or ? /  HomeDepot. Added a hole for the Eskimo ice screw. On top I have Velcro so I can add a strap around the rod/reel if I'm wandering around jigging / visiting neighbors etc.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2020, 06:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  So Here's what I did over the weekend.  I happened to come across this little bracket. I screwed that into the side of my hummingbird.  I could only get three screws in,,,, but it should be fine.

Then I took a .060 piece of 316 stainless, bent it at 90 degrees and mounted the rod holder.

I can take it off if I want.  And I cut an extra L slot in the rod holder itself.  Still usable the original way, but now I have the extra piece of mind if I choose to lock my rod in.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2020, 05:11 PM »
What a great country this is.  MAGA. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2020, 05:49 PM »
OK. Ya got me... What sort of bracket is that where you can adjust the angle of the holder?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:46 AM »
The adjustable bracket comes with the wind jigger.  Just push side release and it pivots up and down.   Not to sure where to get one with out getting the wind jigger.

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2020, 03:32 PM »
flagsup! That's brilliant, props to you! Simple yet effective nothin beats custom mods. Nice work!
ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:54 AM »
flagsup! That's brilliant, props to you! Simple yet effective nothin beats custom mods. Nice work!
Yes, Thank you.... Seems to work well.   Being able to break it down is nice. Only got to use it once this year.  No ice and a sick wife.   Not a good mix for ice fishing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.