Author Topic: Who else has a hard time finding fishing buddies?  (Read 7249 times)

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who else has a hard time finding fishing buddies?
« on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:25 PM »
Ive got 3 and usually I can count on 1- I normally go 2-4 times a week wether its on the ice- in a boat- from shore or stream

Does anyone else's friends think its wierd/gay/stupid to fish? Out of 20 or so people im close too only 5 or so would ever consider fishing and only 2-3 are good at it.... Forget about a girl who likes it as much as me.... Ive been told I fish too much by my parents/friends as well

Looking forward to open water perching with the waders sunday!

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Who else has a hard time finding fishing buddies?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:33 PM »
yuppers...tons of buddies at school think its retarted i fish.  NONE of the chicks at my school would fish or none that i know(maybe some nerd or sumn haha)
but yeah...wish i found someone my own age that was as hardcore as me
oh well  :-\

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2006, 06:17 AM »
Ive got 3 and usually I can count on 1- I normally go 2-4 times a week wether its on the ice- in a boat- from shore or stream

Does anyone else's friends think its wierd/gay/stupid to fish? Out of 20 or so people im close too only 5 or so would ever consider fishing and only 2-3 are good at it.... Forget about a girl who likes it as much as me.... Ive been told I fish too much by my parents/friends as well

Stupid, gay, weird ? their the ones that will be callin ya to bail them out of jail one day !!
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2006, 06:30 AM »
Does anyone else's friends think its wierd/gay/stupid to fish?

If you don't fish you ain't no friend of mine!  8)

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2006, 07:12 AM »
Stupid, gay, weird ? their the ones that will be callin ya to bail them out of jail one day !!

I know a guy who has been in corrections for 12 years. He is an avid outdoorsman and gets to know those inmates he is responsible for. He told me he has never met an inmate who has held a valid hunting or fishing license. That tells me volumes.
I have buddies I fish with but sometimes like to go solo. I've also met some of the IS guys on the ice and have had good times with them.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2006, 07:35 AM »
I don't know where you go to school, but where I teach the girls fish and hunt more than the guys. :blink:
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2006, 07:43 AM »

only have a few that will actually fish...really only one i can count on...dont mind goin' solo sometimes cause my buddies are about 90 miles away, only problem is the little woman gets scared when i go solo...she doesnt understand when you get the itch youve got to go!!...would be willing to meet up with people sometimes...nothin' wrong with finding some new fishing buddies!!!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:38 AM »
NickP,
         Keep doing what you love. We are a dieing breed. When I was going 30 years ago there was 13 of us. Now were down to two, myself and another buddy who are serious.
People act like they want to go, and they say man when you go call me. When I call them I only give them two chances, after that I don't call anymore. Plus what I have found out is if I wanted to babysit I would have taken a job at a daycare. I'm tired of tying hooks on for grown men.

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:47 AM »
My wife outfishes me on the salt and fresh water and you know what??  I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Any chick that can out fish me, I'm throwin a ring on that finger!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2006, 09:30 AM »
My one ex girlfriend fished....well kind of...once.
I can't get any of the guys to go out with me, they'd much rather spend their time at the mall.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2006, 09:37 AM »
NickP,
         Keep doing what you love. We are a dieing breed. When I was going 30 years ago there was 13 of us. Now were down to two, myself and another buddy who are serious.
People act like they want to go, and they say man when you go call me. When I call them I only give them two chances, after that I don't call anymore. Plus what I have found out is if I wanted to babysit I would have taken a job at a daycare. I'm tired of tying hooks on for grown men.
lol, thats how it is with me.  they say "call"  you do and the go aaaaahhhhh weeelllll ooooooohhhh lol.  my ex fishing buddy always used to drap 300 lbs of gear out with him.  i would wind up having to drag half of it.  until he saw my fishtrap, i learned him.  we dont fish together anymore.  when i fish, i work too hard.  alot of guys want to stand around, i keep moving, and catching.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2006, 09:59 AM »
I have a hard time getting my buddies to go fishing.  Not because they dont like it but because we are at the age where most poeple ( not me) have small children, renovating there houses and so forth. so some week-ends i help them but mostly i go fishing.  I take my dad, almost every week-end we can i go with him.

then there are other activities, baseball, basketball tournaments.   I go to those as well, but again I fish thats what i do and my friends enjoy it but between young kids, wifes, and other sports, there reliability is an issue.

In a couple years when there kids are outta diapers i hope we can take them with us.  but by then i might have kids in daipers, hahahah, what a life.   guess i'll just have to loan them my boat and i will be the reliability problem.

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2006, 10:52 AM »
i'm somewhat antisocial so it is hard to keep friends.  I try to take my brother along and he whines like a little baby (he is 36), stuff like turn the heater on, close the shanty, give me the aquavu.  I sort of like just going by myself, no one sees my dumb mistakes.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2006, 11:05 AM »
i'm somewhat antisocial so it is hard to keep friends.  I try to take my brother along and he whines like a little baby (he is 36), stuff like turn the heater on, close the shanty, give me the aquavu.  I sort of like just going by myself, no one sees my dumb mistakes.

It wouldn't be a fun day of ice fishing if I didn't make at least 1 dumb mistake. :woot:
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

PIKEGUY

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2006, 11:10 AM »
I don't tend to have many friends that aren't interested in the outdoors. It's funny when there's a party at one of the local bars there's always this huge crowd of guys standing on one end of the bar. Guess what we're talking about??  But I have found that you have to drag them a couple times and you can tell real fast who'll like itand be calloing you next weekend and who's having their last day with you ;)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2006, 11:11 AM »
No problem finding buddies to go, all my friends are hunters and fishermen...finding the time is the problem.  Like Grimace my boys are into basketball, indoor soccer and baseball starts Sunday...sacrifices need to be made, unfortunately it's my fishing time...gonna try to get out for the last time sunday morning...

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I have friends that fish that won't fish with me..."you'll stay out to long"....."are we going all day"......"your crazy it's to windy/ to rainy / snowing".

They will go out with me some times but it has to be mint weather and I have to promise I'll get them home in time for there TV shows or what ever else they think is more important than fishing. Wimps thats all I've got to say.

crowkiller

« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:03 PM »
not me

PIKEGUY

« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:09 PM »
Looks like he caught a perch?

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:10 PM »
were definately a hardcore group of individuals.  it takes a certain mentality to drag your gear 2 miles out in a freezing headwind lol.  most people i know think im insane for doing it
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Finding fishing buddies what tough until I got into participating in online forums.  Only problem is figuring out who are the nice people, and who are the leeches...I used to be naive to the whole thing, but its now all too obvious that there are some people that care about nothing but themselves. Ugh. :-\

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Well my girlfeind goes all the time with me I got her setting tip ups after I drill the holes (I know it's sweet) I have 3 other freinds that will go everytime I ask them if they can and a whole handfull of the guys that say yea yea yea I want to go I want to go then I call in the morning and they DOG me... So now I just ask the people that are serious about going and tell the other guys if they want to meet us out there..

On a side note the saying around my parts has always been
freinds are freinds pals are pals but BUDDIES sleep together or maybe I just can't stand the use of the word buddy little gay if you ask me..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:30 PM »
Finding fishing buddies what tough until I got into participating in online forums.  Only problem is figuring out who are the nice people, and who are the leeches...I used to be naive to the whole thing, but its now all too obvious that there are some people that care about nothing but themselves. Ugh. :-\
lol, did you turn some guys onto a lkae, just to have them kill it?
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:43 PM »
freinds are freinds pals are pals but BUDDIES sleep together

Well when it's -20 outside and ya got 5 guys spending the night in a 4 man shack . . .
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Well my girlfeind goes all the time with me I got her setting tip ups after I drill the holes (I know it's sweet) I have 3 other freinds that will go everytime I ask them if they can and a whole handfull of the guys that say yea yea yea I want to go I want to go then I call in the morning and they DOG me... So now I just ask the people that are serious about going and tell the other guys if they want to meet us out there..

On a side note the saying around my parts has always been
freinds are freinds pals are pals but BUDDIES sleep together or maybe I just can't stand the use of the word buddy little gay if you ask me..
yeah, buddy is gay, dont say it  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:   :clap:
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:59 PM »
lissen heeeeeerreeee bubba.  we dont use them fancy terms like "buddy" round heeeeaaaaw.  naaooww take yer faeeency city slicker butt back to the city.  dont nobody but hippies, and gays use them types uh words  :roflmao:
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:36 PM »
If you don't fish you ain't no friend of mine!  8)
Hali, you ain't nuthin' but a hound dog...    ;D
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:37 PM »
I have a few friends that I try to get togther with on a regualr basis, we do live a few hours apart so it can be hard at times.......

But then again I enjoy fishing alone, you never have to worry about whether the other person wants to move or if they are catching fish. Its a nice feeling..no talking (other then mumbled curses)...no worries

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2006, 06:51 PM »
I can find a few friends who will fish with me but I like to move alot and I am not afraid of walking long distances to get on fish and they would prefer to set up camp and sit in the shanty all day (or until they call it quits which is usually much earlier than I would like) and the morning problem   we say 6 they show up at 8     I will usually just fish alone and tell my friends were to meet me that way I have my car and when they want to leave because there cold or there are no fish in the 1 hole they will use they can and I can do what I want.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:25 PM »
Im growing my own fishin buddies. My 4 year old son is is a more compitent fisherman then most of my freinds. Ive got a fifteen month old son who I hope will love it too. Most of the time I have to drag my 4 year old off the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.